BMC 'Open Forum' - any information yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Parsons 21 Oct 2020

Now that we're coming towards the end of October, I was wondering when we might hear more about the 'Members' Open Forum which will take place online at the end of October', as promised in https://www.thebmc.co.uk/statement-from-the-bmc in response to the recent spate of resignations for which we members still have had no proper explanation.

But I can't find anything on the BMC website. Anybody know what's going on?

I also took the time to reread the various BMC news articles related to the current mess, partly because I was interested to see if any comments had been made. The most-viewed article https://www.thebmc.co.uk/resignation-from-the-board does have one associated comment, dated 05/09/2020, but it is currently unavailable, having been annotated thus: 'This comment is awaiting moderation, it will be reviewed.' Why does it take more than seven weeks to review a comment, I wonder?

David Lanceley 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

This comment is awaiting moderation, it will be reviewed.' Why does it take more than seven weeks to review a comment, I wonder?

I'm pretty sure the comment was mine so you can probably imagine why it's still being "reviewed".

OP Rob Parsons 22 Oct 2020
In reply to David Lanceley:

> I'm pretty sure the comment was mine so you can probably imagine why it's still being "reviewed".

The BMC is at liberty to mark the comment as 'not within publication guidelines' or similar, but to do nothing at all about it after seven weeks sums up the shit communication to members which has characterized this entire business. Either they want dialogue, or they don't. But if they don't, then why invite comments in the first place? It's lame.

UKB Shark 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Did you get today’s email? 

Board update and invite to Open Forum: Governance Changes in the BMC

Following the last update, and the publication of most of the backdated Board minutes, we are providing an opportunity for members to hear more about the BMC Board’s priorities and actions at an Open Forum at 7pm on Thursday 5 November.  

The focus will be on how the BMC Board of Directors plan to deliver the strategic plan and demonstrate clear progress against the following:

Appointing a new Chair and directors to strengthen the Board in a timely fashion with appropriately skilled people.

Improving relationships within the Board and with the Senior Management Team

Developing the Senior Management Team

Ensuring that the Board Advisors are fully utilised and supported in regularly briefing of the BMC National Council.

Explaining the role of the Interim Executive to develop the Operating Plan with specific and budgeted targets.

You will be able to hear from the Acting Chair of the Board, the BMC President and the rest of the Board on its intentions going forward, as well as pose questions or comments during the session.

The outline of the forum will be:

Background to the present situation

Thinking behind the approach to recruitment

The priorities of the Board in the next three months and beyond

Future communication and engagement with members on governance issues

The Open Forum will be taking place on Thursday 5 November from 7-9pm on Zoom.

OP Rob Parsons 22 Oct 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

Thanks for that information. I haven't received any such email myself yet.

Rick Graham 22 Oct 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

Reading the email I immediately took offence at the use of the word "against" at the end of the second paragraph .

Surely "with" or "regarding" would have been far more appropriate.

Edit. Hopefully not a Freudian slip.

Post edited at 23:26
 UKB Shark 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Thanks for that information. I haven't received any such email myself yet.

To register for the meeting hopefully the below link will work. You’ll need your membership number.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/bmc-open-forum-7pm-on-thursday-5-november-ti...

johncook 23 Oct 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

I notice that 'future communication....' is at the bottom of the list. In my current cynical mood could it be that there is hope it will be fillibustered of the end off the session? We shall see.

Post edited at 08:33
 UKB Shark 23 Oct 2020
In reply to johncook:

> I notice that 'future communication....' is at the bottom of the list. In my current cynical mood could it be that there is hope it will be fillibustered of the end off the session? We shall see.

To be fair it is a natural item to finish on and its inclusion is an acknowledgement that this has been a major issue that is now being acted on.

OP Rob Parsons 23 Oct 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

> To register for the meeting hopefully the below link will work.  ...

Thanks. That's worked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...