Blogging a dead horse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Garnett 02 Mar 2021

So Gordon Elliott has been suspended from racing until the Irish racing authorities have investigated the now-infamous photo of him sitting on a dead horse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/56246444

However, it seems universally accepted that he's an excellent trainer and the horses in his yard are treated with the utmost care - apart from anything else they are extremely valuable.  Nevertheless, one photograph of a dead horse and he's obviously a monster:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=Elliott+dead+horse&rlz=1C1GCEB_enGB924G...

What's this all about?  It seem to me that there's two things happening here.  The first is the predictable outpouring of acontextual sentimentality that happens any time a picture of a sad donkey is posted.  People who've never actually seen a dead horse (or a dead anything probably) and just don't like to think about the practicalities of dealing with half a tonne of dead horse even when (as in this case) they die of completely natural causes, dissolving into tears over the 'lack of respect' being shown.

The second is people in the industry frantically virtue signalling.  Peter Scudamore, for instance:

"There are people out there who don't like the sport and I can't argue with them when I see a picture like that." 

So, Elliott's story is that (some time ago) the horse dropped dead on the gallops, after apparently having a heart attack.  Horses run about quite a lot, whether or not there's anyone sitting on them, so there's nothing to indicate the animal was in any way being mistreated.  I know for a fact that horses do, indeed, occasionally just drop dead in the field.

Out of shot, there's a team ready to move the horse, presumably with a telehandler or something and, to do that you need get some strops round it.  Elliott straddles the horse to figure out exactly how to do this, when his mobile rings.  Apparently it's important and so he mouths something like 'give me two minutes' and signals with two fingers.  It's bloody awkward standing in that position, so he sits back on the horse.  He's a man who's spent his life sitting on horses, and has probably seen his share of dead ones, so I don't think there's anything weird or disrespectful about it.  There's nothing particularly dignified about being hoisted into the air and dropped in a trailer but I'm not sure I see a more respectful alternative.  In the photo he seems to be smiling, but I read that as part of the body language asking the other guys to hang on.  Maybe there's a touch of gallows humour but that wouldn't make him a bad person - I've seen and heard worse in operating theatres.  Either way, for sure the horse doesn't care.

Person unknown takes a picture on their phone and, for whatever reason, makes it public months/years later (not clear exactly).  Cue general outcry and hysteria.  A man may lose his career, the 80 staff working on his yard may lose their jobs, and lots of people on the internet get to vent their love for the horses many of them feed to the dogs whose videos they post on their social media.

I've no idea whether Gordon Elliott is a nice man or not, but I sure as hell can't tell from one photograph shorn of all context. 

Post edited at 09:25
 marsbar 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I agree.  It's a mawkish sentimental over reaction.  

Robert Durran 02 Mar 2021

Indeed. Why should sitting on a dead horse be any worse than sitting on a live one?

nikoid 02 Mar 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> I agree.  It's a mawkish sentimental over reaction.  

That's what I thought until I saw the picture. Then what struck me was the indifference he was displaying to the situation, probably borne of being used to seeing his fair share of dead horses, as the OP mentioned. 

The real issue for me is the number of horses that die in the pursuit of "entertainment"- 68 at the Gold Cup alone since 2000. We all know where these peoples' priorities lie and it isn't animal welfare. 

marsbar 02 Mar 2021
In reply to nikoid:

> The real issue for me is the number of horses that die in the pursuit of "entertainment"- 68 at the Gold Cup alone since 2000. We all know where these peoples' priorities lie and it isn't animal welfare. 

I agree.  

I suppose that's why the fuss over the photo is hypocrisy.  

Jim Lancs 02 Mar 2021

I don't think the Irish Racing Authority had any choice. In common with other national governing bodies in sports like shooting, green lane-ing and even cycle racing, they have to be mindful of the existential threat posed by 'non supporters' of their sport. 

Human welfare (running the Cheltenham festival 2020 and treatment of stable hands) as well as horse welfare at events like The National are all seen to come second to profit in the horse racing world. It's hard to imagine any image that gives grist to their critic's mill, than using a dead horse as a sofa.

jkarran 02 Mar 2021

> What's this all about?  It seem to me that there's two things happening here.  The first is the predictable outpouring of acontextual sentimentality that happens any time a picture of a sad donkey is posted.  People who've never actually seen a dead horse (or a dead anything probably) and just don't like to think about the practicalities of dealing with half a tonne of dead horse even when (as in this case) they die of completely natural causes, dissolving into tears over the 'lack of respect' being shown.

It is a pretty weird photo, I can see why it's caught people's attention.

It seems he delivers results for his owners so while he'll be having a horrible time right now as the press and social media's bete noire it'll be chip wrappers next week.

jk

OP Dave Garnett 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Indeed. Why should sitting on a dead horse be any worse than sitting on a live one?

Quite.  I'm all for treating live animals with the utmost respect and, more importantly, practical consideration, but even if this was a bit of tasteless larking about (which Elliott says it wasn't) that kind of gallows humour happens sometimes.  The two are far from being mutually exclusive.

I was going to say that I recall a book called 101 Uses for  Dead Cat being considered quite amusing by enough people to make it a best seller, but apparently Michael Bond did receive hate mail accusing him of obscenity and sadism - and that was for drawing cartoons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_Uses_for_a_Dead_Cat

In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Human welfare (running the Cheltenham festival 2020 and treatment of stable hands) as well as horse welfare at events like The National are all seen to come second to profit in the horse racing world. It's hard to imagine any image that gives grist to their critic's mill, than using a dead horse as a sofa.

I think there are plenty of questionable practices in horse racing, but I don't think this photograph is any indication of whether or not Elliott is involved in any of them. 

Obviously I understand the PR problem but I find the hypocrisy and sentimentality as depressing as it is predictable.

> Quite.  I'm all for treating live animals with the utmost respect and, more importantly, practical consideration, but even if this was a bit of tasteless larking about (which Elliott says it wasn't) that kind of gallows humour happens sometimes.  The two are far from being mutually exclusive.

I remember a story of mountain rescuers having a break during an arduous stretcher carry sitting on the corpse to eat their sandwiches. Is this any different?

Rob Parsons 02 Mar 2021

> Out of shot, there's a team ready to move the horse, presumably with a telehandler or something and, to do that you need get some strops round it.  Elliott straddles the horse to figure out exactly how to do this, when his mobile rings.

That's not what he said happened though.

Post edited at 11:16
 Jim Lancs 02 Mar 2021

>  . . .  but I don't think this photograph is any indication of whether or not Elliott is involved in any of them. 

That may be true, but the Irish Horse Racing authorities can't ignore the bad PR.

So they've taken a page from the 'Yes Prime Minister' script and have suspended him while "a far reaching, independent inquiry takes its time to unearth all the facts and submits a detailed report to help Irish Horse Racing make a balanced and well considered decision in the fulness of time. It's imperative that they are given the space and opportunity to act in the best interest of everyone going forward. A full communiqué will be issued in due course. Until then no further comment will be made in order to not impact the independence of the inquiry run by renown experts in the field, being as they are an ex-trainer, head of a betting company and a stable owner".

DaveHK 02 Mar 2021

> I remember a story of mountain rescuers having a break during an arduous stretcher carry sitting on the corpse to eat their sandwiches. Is this any different?

It being pre-social media might be the biggest difference.

> I remember a story of mountain rescuers having a break during an arduous stretcher carry sitting on the corpse to eat their sandwiches. Is this any different?

I remember how we used to joke about how human dissection used to give us an appetite.  Partly a defence mechanism.  Partly the strangely pizzary anchovy textures and smells.

Bulls Crack 02 Mar 2021

He could have said something funnier like: #good-glue-day!

Jim Hamilton 02 Mar 2021

I see another similar picture has surfaced with a different jockey. 

It is actually a pity the photo doesn't show him.flogging it. Bad missed selfie opportunity.

Clauso 02 Mar 2021

He ought to mention that he was actually training Dead Rum, at the time that the photo was taken, and defuse the whole outcry. 

Blue Straggler 02 Mar 2021

> I remember how we used to joke about how human dissection used to give us an appetite. 

Even without the smells, and just as a one-off, when I went to the first London exhibition of Gunther von Hagens' "Bodyworks", it unexpectedly gave me a craving for a curry. Which was mildly perturbing and guilt-inducing. 

In reply to Clauso:

> He ought to mention that he was actually training Dead Rum, at the time that the photo was taken, and defuse the whole outcry. 

>  but apparently Michael Bond did receive hate mail accusing him of obscenity and sadism - and that was for drawing cartoons.

You mean Simon Bond. 

Michael Bond was the creator of Paddington Bear, and had nothing to do with 101 Uses For A Dead Cat. 

Rob Exile Ward 02 Mar 2021

That came out when we went on an ill-advised Alpine trip to Switzerland, so we amused ourselves by rewriting it as '101 Reasons to hate the Swiss.' These ranged from 'Having more money than us' to 'having a 'Men Working sign' that shows a pictogram of a worker shovelling one pile of Nazi gold on top of another.'

Post edited at 12:08
 DerwentDiluted 02 Mar 2021

It's a disgustingly disrespectful way to treat a dead animal.

Put me right off my meat feast pizza.

Ciro 02 Mar 2021

Totally agree.

We should be talking about whether pushing animals to their limit for entertainment is acceptable, we shouldn't be talking about whether a dead animal needs "dignity". They don't. Once it's dead is just a piece of meat.

Imagine the absurdity of complaining about sitting on top of a box of dog food being disrespectful.

In reply to Rob Parsons:

> That's not what he said happened though.

It was his story yesterday.  I did note that today it's all about it being completely unacceptable, moment of madness, no excuses, accepting full responsibility etc, which I suspect is what he's being advised as damage limitation.

In reply to Blue Straggler:

> >  but apparently Michael Bond did receive hate mail accusing him of obscenity and sadism - and that was for drawing cartoons.

> You mean Simon Bond. 

> Michael Bond was the creator of Paddington Bear, and had nothing to do with 101 Uses For A Dead Cat. 

My mistake.  One was a dead cat, one was a stuffed bear.

Removed User 02 Mar 2021

Has the Grauniad run an opinion piece on it yet?

Explaining that the horrendous cruelty and disrespect on show is directly attributable to neo liberalism and the disgraceful absence of LBTQ+ trainers in the racing industry?

(written by someone who's never been within six feet of a horse in their lives)

Jim Hamilton 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Ciro:

> We should be talking about whether pushing animals to their limit for entertainment is acceptable, we shouldn't be talking about whether a dead animal needs "dignity". They don't. Once it's dead is just a piece of meat.

> Imagine the absurdity of complaining about sitting on top of a box of dog food being disrespectful.

But would you sit on your dead dog?! The industry line is that they care for their horses better than other domesticated animals, and the horses love to race. 

EddInaBox 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Removed User:

No point now, they've already got you spitting feathers about the article before they've even written it!

nufkin 02 Mar 2021

>  when I went to the first London exhibition of Gunther von Hagens' "Bodyworks", it unexpectedly gave me a craving for a curry

Wasn't it on Brick Lane though? The curry craving might have been implanted before you even went in

Ciro 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> But would you sit on your dead dog?! 

Probably not, as I'd be in a state of grief at the time and therefore not thinking very rationally.

When I briefly worked in food processing howeve, animal carcasses were just animal carcasses, so I was much more rational about those.

> The industry line is that they care for their horses better than other domesticated animals, and the horses love to race. 

That's their line, but it's bollocks - they're working animals, and anyone who works with animals sees them primarily as tools. Overly sentimental attachment affects your bottom line, which tends to result in going out of business to those who don't have it and can stick closer to the minimum required standards.

wercat 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Human welfare (running the Cheltenham festival 2020 and treatment of stable hands) as well as horse welfare at events like The National are all seen to come second to profit in the horse racing world. It's hard to imagine any image that gives grist to their critic's mill, than using a dead horse as a sofa.

With Matt Hancock being a jockey and the Minivax being a racehorse owner it's not really surprising is it?  They must have planned the pandemic response while having a racing beer with Dido and some pub owning neighbours

Removed User 02 Mar 2021
In reply to EddInaBox:

> No point now, they've already got you spitting feathers about the article before they've even written it!

No no, I never read that shite so it doesn't bother me. I was just taking the piss.

Jim Lancs 02 Mar 2021
In reply to wercat:

> With Matt Hancock being a jockey and the Minivax being a racehorse owner it's not really surprising is it?  They must have planned the pandemic response while having a racing beer with Dido and some pub owning neighbours

Surely you're confusing the 'home of democracy' with some foreign, third rate, fly blown plutocracy?

EddInaBox 02 Mar 2021

If you never read it how can you expect other people to take your opinion as anything more than prejudice?

In reply to nufkin:

> Wasn't it on Brick Lane though? The curry craving might have been implanted before you even went in

Absolutely correct, well remembered, and a good point. However it was a scorching hot early afternoon, not my usual conditions for fancying a nice filling hot curry! I guess we'll never really know. 

Tom Valentine 02 Mar 2021

Or the mountain safety advice about coming across a badly injured or dead climber where the first item on the "to do" checklist was to check the victim's boot size.

Andy Clarke 02 Mar 2021

> No no, I never read that shite so it doesn't bother me. I was just taking the piss.

Do you have a trusted news source you can recommend?

Removed User 02 Mar 2021
In reply to EddInaBox:

I used to read it then realised why I was feeling dismayed about the human condition. 

Removed User 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> Do you have a trusted news source you can recommend?

I read the news articles in Grauniad I just avoid reading the shite written by middle class, middle brow metropolitans with more talent for writing entertaining prose than for critical thinking.

The FT isn't bad, Al Jazeera, NYT. Every news source has its bias of course but I wasn't talking about news just the appalling opinion pieces in the Grauniad.

Is it still considered witty and sophisticated to repeatedly refer to The Guardian as "Grauniad", in 2021?

Andy Clarke 02 Mar 2021

No opinion piece as yet, but they are reporting the emergence of a video of jockey Rob James indulging in similar carcass riding antics to accompanying laughter. Of course, it was "stupidity" and he's now "heartbroken." My vegetarianism is long lapsed, but I don't feel hypocritical for finding it distasteful.

Root1 02 Mar 2021

I once had my lunch sitting on a dead climber on Creag Meaghaidh back in the day.

Having said that we were looking for him after meeting his distraught partner. We didn't know he had been avalanched and was actually underneath us.

Post edited at 17:00
Removed User 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> No opinion piece as yet, but they are reporting the emergence of a video of jockey Rob James indulging in similar carcass riding antics to accompanying laughter. Of course, it was "stupidity" and he's now "heartbroken." My vegetarianism is long lapsed, but I don't feel hypocritical for finding it distasteful.

A bit naff but hardly newsworthy.

Andy Clarke 02 Mar 2021

> A bit naff but hardly newsworthy.

I assume the newsworthiness derives from the fact that Elliott's carcass-riding turns out not to be unique in the fun-loving world of racing.

Post edited at 17:31

> Is it still considered witty and sophisticated to repeatedly refer to The Guardian as "Grauniad", in 2021?

NB this was slightly rhetorical and not particularly aimed at Eric9points. I looked into this last year and it seems that it does remain widespread and has widespread acceptance or at least begrudging tolerance, despite its origins (and, therefore, meaning and relevance) having faded in the 1960s ...

Offwidth 03 Mar 2021

I use it. Grauniad spelling is infamous and often funny... something I feel comfortable with as a STEM academic with some degree of word blindness. BBC live subtitles can be more like BBC mixed its vile sublet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...