Black Friday, is it time it was stopped?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

We can all remember the clips from a few years ago where people were fighting over tellys and other junk they probably didn't need.

Roll on a few years and research out today suggests that Black Friday deals are a myth in most cases. Who could have possibly imagined that, eh?

Personally I held off buying a large ticket item for a few weeks and on trying to get a price last (black) Friday actually found the cost to be higher than I could get it before.

It's it time to consign this bollocks to bin where it belongs?

Siward 26 Nov 2019
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Caveat Emptor innit. 

toad 26 Nov 2019
In reply to Siward:

Which? Reckon only 1 in 20 offers are a genuine bargain

balmybaldwin 26 Nov 2019

Yes, but not for the reason you suggest. It should be stopped to end this ridiculous consumerism boom with people encouraged to buy stuff they don't need.  We are killing the planet 

Larefia 26 Nov 2019

By consign it to the bin do you mean stop the advertising which you are not obliged to take notice of either way? Stop the free market and vendors selling overpriced stuff to people who fill their houses with "look what I've got" how great am I.

Then no leave the feckin idiots to it and buy what you need / want at a time when it suits you at a price that suits you.

Trangia 26 Nov 2019
In reply to toad:

> Which? Reckon only 1 in 20 offers are a genuine bargain

On news this morning Which confirmed that 95% of these "bargains" can be bought cheaper at other times of the year.

plyometrics 26 Nov 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Couldn’t agree more. 

wintertree 26 Nov 2019

If I had my way I’d ban all phoney discounts, special offers and so on all year round.  Meal deals would be a hanging offence.

LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2019
In reply to wintertree:

What's wrong with a meal deal? The Boots one is great if I haven't had time to make lunch - and it's just over the road from the office.

Tringa 26 Nov 2019

I agree but it will never happen while there are enough people being taken in by it.

I'm reminded of a quote attributed to Oscar Wilde that appears in a link on another thread here -

"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities"

If politicians can say things that are shown to be lies and people still believe them, convincing folks they are going to get loads of great deals on Black Friday is a piece of cake.

Dave

girlymonkey 26 Nov 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

It certainly used to be the case in boots that it was cheaper to buy your sandwich and snack with a bottle of water than it was without. That angered me a lot. I didn't (and still don't) need another plastic bottle! That sort of thing should definitely be banned. 

Toerag 26 Nov 2019

It's going to kill itself as the news spreads that the deals aren't really deals.

Dax H 26 Nov 2019

Best ban the January sales as well then. Some stuff has a pre inflated price before hand and some stuff is a good deal, if people are not wise enough to research what they are buying then more fool them. 

The Mrs wants a TV for the kitchen so she can hide in there when I'm on my xbox in the living room. I have been watching the prices for a few different models for the last month or so, if they are cheaper on Friday I will order one, if not it will wait until one comes on sale another day. 

wintertree 26 Nov 2019

> What's wrong with a meal deal? The Boots one is great if I haven't had time to make lunch - and it's just over the road from the office.

What’s wrong with stuff costing what it costs?  Why should it be cheaper to get my sandwich and drink with crisps or chocolate than without? Why stiff me when I buy less or make me buy something I don’t want?  Illogical nonsense.

Ceiriog Chris 26 Nov 2019

Please don't stop it, I look forward all year to a good scrap down at Currys 

LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> It certainly used to be the case in boots that it was cheaper to buy your sandwich and snack with a bottle of water than it was without. That angered me a lot. I didn't (and still don't) need another plastic bottle! That sort of thing should definitely be banned. 

You have a fair point about plastic bottles - I think there are a couple of options in glass and cartons, which would be better.

LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> What’s wrong with stuff costing what it costs?  Why should it be cheaper to get my sandwich and drink with crisps or chocolate than without? Why stiff me when I buy less or make me buy something I don’t want?  Illogical nonsense.

That's marketing for you. At the moment, the meal deal is down to £1.99 if you spend >=£5 elsewhere in the store! Used it to stock up on toothpaste last week, which I did need and which was also on a silly deal.

Given that it has no basis in reality how would anyone stop it. It's not even a day, it's a month either side of whenever a shop wants.

Jenny C 26 Nov 2019

> You have a fair point about plastic bottles - I think there are a couple of options in glass and cartons, which would be better.

Would they? 

Where I live plastic bottles are collected at the kerbside. No lazy option for recycling cartons and of I was that good I wouldn't be buying a ready made lunch in the first place. 

LastBoyScout 26 Nov 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

> Would they? 

> Where I live plastic bottles are collected at the kerbside. No lazy option for recycling cartons and of I was that good I wouldn't be buying a ready made lunch in the first place. 

Ok, then "could be".

My office has recycling bins for plastic and cans, but won't take glass or cartons, the kerbside one at home will take plastic, cans and cartons, but I need to take glass to the supermarket/tip to recycle it.

Rob Parsons 26 Nov 2019
In reply to wintertree:

> What’s wrong with stuff costing what it costs?  Why should it be cheaper to get my sandwich and drink with crisps or chocolate than without? Why stiff me when I buy less or make me buy something I don’t want?  Illogical nonsense.

That's capitalism, baby. If you really don't like it, use the only personal lever you have: don't shop at the place at all.

staticx 26 Nov 2019

What tickles me the wrong way is when someone's bragging how cheap they got something during this crap. Like they needed it in the first place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...