Bit warm out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 20 Oct 2021

Just started getting back into my early morning runs after a bit of an injury. Wrapped up nice and warn and was out at 4am. It's unbelievably warm!

Just outside of Manchester. It does not feel like mid October. 

VictorM 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Same here on the other side of the canal, although last week had some chilly mornings. 

Timmd 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

It's not the 'brrrr' of 25 years ago, my face used to go numb enough from the cold (during the winter) while walking the 15 minutes from the bus stop to The Foundry, during the mid 90's, so that I'd struggle to say my ID code clearly,, it almost never happens like that now.

Post edited at 08:53
 gethin_allen 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Totally agree, it was tee shirt weather in Somerset on the weekend and yesterday in Leeds, despite the high winds.

mrphilipoldham 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I was working (outside) in Salford last night, put a hoodie and big coat over my jumper and was sweating sitting still. Given I was cold in the same get up a day or two before it did come as a bit of a surprise!

mondite 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Yup went for a walk fairly late last night and thought its October stick a fleece over the t-shirt. About five minutes in went to just the t-shirt.

Currently it switching between bright and warm sun and then sideways rain.

Toerag 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

London hit 20 degrees yesterday, Aberdeen 15. Hot air being dragged up from mainland Europe.

In reply to ThunderCat:

I remember a few years ago camping around this time of year near the Berwyns in 30oc days. 

Dont get used to it. Autumn proper arrives tomorrow so enjoy the last warmth until March. 

OP ThunderCat 20 Oct 2021
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> I was working (outside) in Salford last night, put a hoodie and big coat over my jumper and was sweating sitting still. Given I was cold in the same get up a day or two before it did come as a bit of a surprise!

Sitting in Media City in the Quays at the moment and a massive rainstorm has just gone by.  Heaviest I've seen in a long time but it's all blue skies now.  It's end times I tells ya!

OP ThunderCat 20 Oct 2021
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> I remember a few years ago camping around this time of year near the Berwyns in 30oc days. 

> Dont get used to it. Autumn proper arrives tomorrow so enjoy the last warmth until March. 

I heard we're due a cold snap in the next few days.  Can't wait.  My type of weather.

Timmd 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Weather does seem to be more 'continental' I'm finding, with sudden and heavy rain which goes as suddenly as it arrives.

broken spectre 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Timmd:

Continental weather! Coming over 'ere... Hydrating our crops... We voted LEAVE! British weather for British people... And what's with rainbows and their orange, yellow, green, indigo and violet stripes? You won't find them in the Union J! And bloody snowflakes!

Sealwife 20 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Not blooming warm where I am.  2C, really windy and sleeting.

girlymonkey 20 Oct 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

Isn't that called "summer" up your way?! 😜

skog 21 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Frost on the car again this morning; the garden thermometer said 0ºC about an hour ago but I think the air temperature was probably more like 1 or 2ºC

The warm snap seems to have passed!

PaulJepson 21 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

I didn't feel warm cycling home in the squally wind and pissing rain last night. Got a numb head. 

wercat 21 Oct 2021
In reply to skog:

water ice on the windscreen this morning, not amenable to scraping until partly thawed.

In reply to ThunderCat:

Bike ride last night finishing at 9pm. Started with jacket on but stripped down to just my base layers after the first hill. 

gazhbo 21 Oct 2021
In reply to Timmd:

> It's not the 'brrrr' of 25 years ago, my face used to go numb enough from the cold (during the winter) while walking the 15 minutes from the bus stop to The Foundry, during the mid 90's, so that I'd struggle to say my ID code clearly,, it almost never happens like that now.

Even 25 years ago though, mid October wasn’t winter, was it?

kwoods 21 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Snow on the Skye hills this morning. Normal service resumed.

wercat 21 Oct 2021
In reply to gazhbo:

I remember it being scorching in October in 1974 at a DUMC meet at Crag Lough.

squarepeg 21 Oct 2021
In reply to wercat:

Climate change denier! 

Timmd 21 Oct 2021
In reply to gazhbo:

> Even 25 years ago though, mid October wasn’t winter, was it?

Which was why 'during the winter' was in brackets, I must aim for less ambiguity.

OP ThunderCat 21 Oct 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I'm in Sunderland today. Freezing my tits off

mutt 21 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

just back from a bike ride from Southampton - it was chuffing cold!

fred99 22 Oct 2021
In reply to mutt:

Put my winter gloves on for the motorbike ride to work this morning - much better than the pairs I wore the last 2 days as it was too cold in the mornings for them.

Now the question is "should I have brought the thinner gloves to wear riding home ?"

ERNIESHACK 22 Oct 2021
In reply to ThunderCat:

Yes for sure, got 3 hours climbing Wed and Thu in Neilston quarry here just outside Glasgow. 

Not even cold on my hands, was great in the sun out of the wind. But I think that will be my last trad for the year.

Great summer climbing 2021.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...