Birdman of Pollok Park

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 24 Nov 2020

Taken a big step to my goal of being the 'birdman' this morning!

For the first time, a tit perched on my hand while eating seeds from my palm. Think it was a Coal Tit, from the head markings & size.

Just kept stock still for a short bit and out it flew from some head height rhododendrons, first a circular flight over my hand then out to land on the index finger of my right hand.

Soon I foresee flocks of tits, crows and all the birds of the world circling over my head, waiting, waiting for my command!

Rob Exile Ward 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

One tit doesn't make a birdman.

Removed User 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Soon I foresee flocks of tits, crows and all the birds of the world circling over my head, waiting, waiting for my command!

In that case wear a wide brimmed hat and do up your collar.

OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed User:

Mock me and I will have your eyes!

abcdef 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

i'm running round pollok park most days. if i see a weirdo i'll say hello

OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to abcdef:

I'll be wearing a black cape of crow feathers.

Ex-Game of Thrones costume bought from eBay 

Post edited at 10:54
Clauso 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Anything less than handfeeding an osprey in Pollok Park is an anticlimax.

Dave Hewitt 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Has calling it Pollok Estate died out these days? In my Glasgow days (1985-97) I lived in those parts and often used it for walks or runs, as did lots of my friends. Was rare to hear it called Pollok Park in those days - was almost always Pollok Estate.

elsewhere 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Few of us get the honour of standing on a plinth in George Square with a 🐦 crapping on our head but you have the next best thing.

More seriously, sounds amazing.

Post edited at 11:03
OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Yes, I'd say. I know a lot of dog walkers and have never heard them refer to it as Pollok Estate.

Dave Hewitt 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

> Yes, I'd say. I know a lot of dog walkers and have never heard them refer to it as Pollok Estate.

Ta - that's interesting. I've still got friends in those parts who used to call it Pollok Estate - will need to see what they call it these days! It used to be a case of running through Bellahouston Park to get to Pollok Estate. (Not that I can run anywhere these days.)

OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to elsewhere:

It's taken years of feeding to get that level of trust. The birds now fly out and follow me until I give some feed.

I think the crows will always remain more cautious, though they do fly right by me and land a few feet away. 

Fat Bumbly2 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I had a relative who was brilliant at it - jay, marsh tit, robin, nuthatch were the regulars. Almost managed a fieldfare.  I enjoyed watching from the window, not appreciating that a good view of a jay over time is not easily obtained. 

As for myself, I was "attacked" by chaffinches once at -10 in Lochaber - they were on a feeder, but the owner was away for Christmas and had several land on me and start pecking - hint, hint! The other 200 just lurked nearby. 

Post edited at 14:23
OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

I was back at lunch and it happened again. The second time I got some video, posted on my instagram page

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH-gbYTnH9w/

cb294 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Coal tit is correct,

CB

In reply to Flinticus:

Channeling your inner Disney Princess, good work.

Eating lunch one day whilst hiking in the US I had a chipmunk run up my leg and perch on my knee, yellow faced bumble bees also loved to get at my legs for the salt, their little tongues darting out and giving a lick. Snow Whites got nothing on me.

OP Flinticus 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

> Channeling your inner Disney Princess, good work.

Exactly! But where are the red squirrels??

In reply to Flinticus:

Magic! Well done!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...