Bird ID - light confusing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My camera was tricked by the light/colours etc of the location, and I thought at the time that they were something unusual, but not now with some post tweaking.

1. Dunnock I now think, but seemed a lot blacker to look at even with binoculars.

2/3. Female Yellowhammer? I’ve been testing a phone app though, and it came up with Cirl Bunting (which wouldn’t be up in Scotland)!

4. An anxious looking juvenile Greenfinch?

Bottom Clinger 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Tempted to say juvenile yellowhammer, and ‘yes’ to all the others. 

cb294 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Female yellowhammer seems the better guess: For my taste, the facial stripes are too pronounced for an immature in June (could maybe look like this by the end of summer), and the bird seems to be collecting food in its beak which is more consistent with a feeding female than a juvenile (which would likely swallow each item more quickly).

In reply to cb294: & BC

Thanks both.

I should have added if it helps that it did seem secretive as a mother would be if near a nest. It had flown from a field of oil seed rape and landed half way down a bank (photos location) next to a lower level reed bed. Stayed put for some 5 mins until well after I walked away when I saw it fly low level to a tree nearby.

My guide book (Collins) doesn’t have pictures of juveniles for Yellowhammers to compare. I was surprised that it seemed to have such strong features/colouring which I assume the app picked up upon.

In reply to cb294:

The two birds with insects are female yellowhammers. I was referring to the fourth, which looks more like young greenfinch with that stumpy beak and greenfinch tail. 

So I reckon Mr Pieman was right first time round. 

cb294 17 Jun 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Ah OK, makes sense!

I agree, the tail is finchy rather than bunting-like.

CB

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

"When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master." Climbing Pieman in Star Wars 4

caitlin203 21 Jun 2022

great pictures birds are so cute, nature is beautiful

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...