Binoculars - Nikon Prostaff 3S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 katherinec85 04 Jan 2021

Anyone got these binoculars and can let me know if they're any good? 

I'm after some binoculars for general use when out walking. These seem like they should be light and compact enough for the spec that I've decided on (10x42).

Or is there something else I should be looking at? These are at the top of my budget (£139), so nothing more expensive, please!

Monk 04 Jan 2021
In reply to katherinec85:

We have a pair of these and I really like them. Good clear images in a smallish package (although a bit bigger than pocket sized).

Fozzy 04 Jan 2021

Barr & Stroud Sahara are excellent for the money 

Michael Hood 04 Jan 2021

For your budget there are plenty of good bins around (although of course it's "easy" to spend more) - ideally you're best going to somewhere you can try several different ones but unfortunately that's a bit tricky at the moment.

However, I don't believe Nikon make any rubbish so you're unlikely to go far wrong.

10x42 isn't going to be the lightest. For lower weight consider 8x32.

Martin W 04 Jan 2021

I bought myself a pair of the 10x42 Prostaff 3s for my last birthday and I've been very happy with them.  They have taken the place in my rucksack of my ancient Optolyth 10x40s that a generous sibling gave me for my birthday nearly 40 years ago.  The Optolyths still work OK, but the Nikons are lighter, more compact, more weatherproof and the optics do seem a bit better.

As Monk says they're slightly too large to be really pocket sized (though they do fit happily in the poacher's pockets of my Barbour) but they are easily dinky enough to pop in my 15 litre going-for-a-walk rucksack alongside a thermos, a few biscuits, lightweight extra layer, ditto wind/waterproof and such.  They make the difference between always having my binos with me, or sometimes leaving them at home.

I've never really got on with 8x magnification binoculars, even more so these days with my eyes not being what they were acuity-wise.  But that's a personal thing.

I reckon you should be able to get them for rather less than £139 if you shop around a bit (I bought mine brand new off the 'bay for £109 last year).

Mal Grey 05 Jan 2021

I've a pair of the Prostaff 3S 8 x 42s and they have been absolutely excellent. Had them about 2 1/2 years, have been used almost daily during lockdown, mostly for wildlife type stuff. Get used in all conditions, get filthy pretty often, but perform perfectly well. As a step up from £50 pocket binos before, they've proven to be more of a leap up. Seem like very good value to me.

I'm glad I chose the 8s over the 10s personally, for a slightly wider angle of view and less "wobble" but that depends on the individual. They're a little lighter too.

OP katherinec85 05 Jan 2021

Thanks for everyone's replies.  Those that have these binoculars seem happy with them - so I think I'll go for it! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...