Bike and Kayak racks on the roof at the same time?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BattyMilk 27 Jun 2021

I'm looking to get some bits to carry kayaks and bikes on the roof of the car.

My car has raised rails and I'm looking at getting some cross bars so I can carry mine and Mrs BattyMilk's bikes and kayaks.

Is it possible for a lazy person (me) to have both kayak racks (j racks or similar) and bike racks mounted at the same time without having to remove either for carrying the other piece of gear? Is it possible to carry bikes and kayaks at the same time on the roof (bonus points if it is).

What kit do I need?

Jenny C 27 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

You want uprights for the kayaks https://www.desmes.co.uk/product/palm-upright-bars/

Similar to J bars, but just a vertical post so they take up less space, we used to be able to carry four kayaks with these fitted. 

OP BattyMilk 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Great. Thank you. Will they give enough room to carry bikes at the same time?

Run_Ross_Run 27 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

It all depends on the width of the kayak.

I carry my perception triumph (not on j or upright bars ) and can get my bike by the side. I wouldn't be able to get the 2nd bike on there tho. 

Jenny C 27 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

I don't cycle so an not familiar with bike racks and how much space they need.

Most modern roof racks are narrower than what I used in the 90s, would have thought that one bike plus two kayaks would be fine but you may struggle with two of each - sorry not very helpful.

Post edited at 21:29
 cal.mac 27 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

First you need to check the max roof load for your car in the owners manual, many are surprisingly low and things like panoramic roof and wheel size can reduce it.

Depending on the type of kayak just stacking them may more space effcient than cradles or uprights.  With bike rack facing one forward and one back wards can save space. 

With Thule bars it is sometimes possible to use a longer size than recommended for your car since there is sufficient adjustment in the slots that connect the bar and feet. Would need try before purchase for this though. Thule also do 'pro bars' which have the connecting slot running the full length of the bar so you can fit any width bar within reason. Not cheap though.

LastBoyScout 28 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

What Cal.Mac said - especially about load limits. You can use wider bars (and bang your head on them!), the limit is as follows (having googled it before on this forum):

"The projection of a load on a trailer or roof-rack may be up to 305mm on either side of the vehicle or trailer, provided that the overall width of the vehicle or trailer (including projections) does not exceed 2.9m."

Above that, you're an abnormal load and you'll need to involve the police. Best not to go wider than the wing mirrors, really.

Pretty sure you could do it, but you might have to take the pedal off the kayak side. I would personally work on 2 boats + 1 bike on the roof and the other bike in the car, if that's possible.

I recommend WhispBar racks - similar initial outlay to Thule, but MUCH cheaper to change foot pack when you change car. Have a bit of adjustment if you want to go a bit wider than standard. You'll need T-track fittings for the bike racks/uprights.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/

wbo2 28 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:  Will they give enough room to carry bikes at the same time?

Your Fiat 500 or HumVee? 

OP BattyMilk 28 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Mini Countryman. Not huge but not tiny

duchessofmalfi 28 Jun 2021
In reply to BattyMilk:

Yes, you can do this. I'd suggest vertical bars for the kayak and then the usual for your bike provided you've got enough width.  Kayak then goes on it's side.  To save space I 'd suggest tying the body hole of your deck shut, packing your kayak kit in the kayak and putting the deck on to retain it, I wouldn't put any non-kayak kit in there though as it tends to get wet and stinky.

Main point (as with any roof rack) is remembering before you drive into a low car park!

LastBoyScout 28 Jun 2021
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

You can get cockpit covers - I use one in the garage to keep the spiders out and they can help (a bit) with fuel efficiency on the roof (and keeping the rain out).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...