Big news in Israel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 17 Mar 2020

Risks getting missed with everything else going on in the world

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-benny-gantz-net...

krikoman 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

Yay, sort of, I'm not sure Gantz is going to be much better, but getting rid of Bibi is a great start.

Michael Hood 17 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Well it's got to be worth a try at something possibly different because otherwise nothing was ever going to change.

However I think that actual chance of Gantz managing to form a stable coalition =0 😟

krikoman 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I agree, on both counts.

Where's Israel's Nelson Mandela?  Every country should have one.

cb294 18 Mar 2020

Didn't he briefly try to form a coalition also after the last or second to last election?

CB

Doug 18 Mar 2020

so yet another round of elections ?

Michael Hood 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

Possibly, thing is that Bibi stays in charge (although there are some things he can't do) until an alternative government is actually formed.

I remember the gulf war (1st one I think) when Bibi was the English speaking representative explaining Israel's situation with missiles being lobbed over (from Iraq). He was brilliantly eloquent. Unfortunately I suspect it's been downhill ever since.

The current political stalemate in Israel is another demonstration of the problems that can occur with proportional representation. If we (the UK) ever go that way then we need to ensure that our new political representation only picks up the advantages of PR and not the disadvantages.

Pete Pozman 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

If there's a chance they can get that murdering gangster out of power it's a cause for celebration.

Michael Hood 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I don't agree with your description but let's not get into an argument about that and which descriptors would be most accurate.

If you consider that he's in a right of centre party (remember that right and left only partly equate to what they mean here) and that his primary motivation is to stay in power, then it's difficult to see how he could have done things much differently.

I'm not at all trying to justify his actions, and it's easy to say "well he shouldn't have done this" or "he should have done that", but when you consider what I wrote in the previous paragraph, it at least helps in understanding why he's made the decisions that he has.

Also, as PM he's the most powerful in the government, but it's not just about him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...