Best hedgehog Treats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 27 Jun 2019

Recently we have had a hedgehog visiting each evening, which is great.  I’ve tried tempting it with chicken-based dog/cat food, to no avail.  What it appears to prefer is mealworms, a fussy  creature, mix the two up, and the dog./cat food is always left.

Anyone have other suggestions for food to leave out for it/them

upordown 27 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:

I do some work at the local hedgehog hospital and they've recently stopped feeding any mealworms because they can upset the phosphorus/calcium balance and cause metabolic bone disease. The hospital feeds wet cat or dog food and cat or kitten biscuits. You can also buy hedgehog food, both wet and dry, such as Spikes. It's more expensive than feeding pet food though.

http://www.valewildlife.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Feeding-wild-hedg...

OP kipper12 27 Jun 2019
In reply to upordown:

That’s brilliant, thanks.  The mealworms are now off the menu.  I’ll invest in some proprietary wet and dry food.  Do you have one you would recommend. 

OP kipper12 27 Jun 2019
In reply to upordown:

Sorry, I can’t read, doh!  I’ve just ordered some of the spikes semi dry.  

wilkie14c 27 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:

get some lob worms or dandrabina worms from local fishing shop

In reply to kipper12:

Build an unenclosed compost heap and rotting woodpiles as worm/slug/beetle factories.

Providing a natural food source is always preferable to trying to give commercial supplementary feeding. 

Dave Garnett 28 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:

We've just had an outbreak of baby hedgehogs in our barn.  The cat food I put last night seems to have been well-received.  I agree with the comment about natural food sources and there's no shortage of that too but I'm trying to encourage them to set up territories away from the road.

Who am I kidding - I really like seeing them!

Neil Henson 28 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:  Do you have one you would recommend. 

I use a company called Ark Wildlife and buy a 13kg sack of hedgehog muesli from them. Always get great service from them and the hedgehog(s) regularly visit and devour the stuff.

krikoman 28 Jun 2019
In reply to upordown:

>  The hospital feeds wet cat ....

Our cat hates being wet.

Post edited at 18:03
 Tringa 29 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

We found the hedgehog ion our garden will eat Chappie dog food but so does the Bengal cat that visits most nights.

We have also tried dry dog food (Harringtons), with plenty of water supplied too, and this is more successful. The cat tends to leave the dried food, however the local fox eats it!

Dave

LeeWood 30 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:

not getting run over on the road ?!

krikoman 30 Jun 2019
In reply to kipper12:

Cheese and Pineapple ?

Deadeye 30 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

Have a like for the persistence of a second attempt

Tom Valentine 30 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

I get a bit upset at seeing some callous bastard advertising his services with roadside signs saying " Cats eyes removed".

Pbob 02 Jul 2019
In reply to kipper12:

I seem to remember buying hedgehog crisps in the 1980's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...