Benjamin Zephaniah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 28 Aug 2020

I have just been moved by listening to Benjamin Zephaniah on BBC 4's World at One. He was reading out his latest poem, which is a re-imagining of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech. What a wonderful man Zephania is. This link just includes the poem:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08px03s

The link below includes the interview, which is also very very apposite in today's atmosphere. I hope our so-called Prime Minister listens to it, but I doubt it. Without ever raising his voice or using offensive language he destroys Johnson's comments on Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory. What a man!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000m09s

wercat 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

He's great, a man I've grown to respect a lot over the years he's been broadcasting

Cobra_Head 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

The problem is, and you alluded to it, the people who should hear the poem won't.

Toccata 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

First time I heard of him was reading ‘Rebel’ on Toddla T’s album. A true icon of my country.

Timmd 28 Aug 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

Taking part in some flyering or something similar in effect to spread the poem could be a plan.

In reply to Toccata:

First time I saw him was at Morcome rail station a WOMAD Festival  eirly 1990 suppose 

it may have been when he had a residency in Liverpool  his work in a Liverpool home blood axe books was the same sort of time,  anyhow the point is:  the train  arriving with granny and granddad who had no doubt spent every summers holiday in the town  since honeymoon disembarking in the mist of  a BZ set   was almost the best part about it. Had a Martian walked through the arrivals hall it would have been unnoticed  

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Top man and wonderful MLK speech

Le Sapeur 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

For anyone who doesn't want to listen to the whole program, for the poem he is at 22 mins in.

Donotello 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

When I was in Secondary school the English GCSE Anthology has a BZ poem in it for analysis (along with Half Caste by John agard that’s always stuck in my psyche) - I think it was ‘No problem’, - 1996

Mark Collins 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

...and he's on Peaky Blinders!

Heard some of his autobiography being serialised on radio 4 once. I've been meaning to read the whole thing but haven't quite got round to it yet. 

OP Rog Wilko 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Thanks, I meant to put that in but forgot.

nastyned 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Mark Collins:

> Heard some of his autobiography being serialised on radio 4 once. I've been meaning to read the whole thing but haven't quite got round to it yet. 

It's a great read. 

Michael Hood 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I think BZ would be a great choice for poet laureate. He's somebody who can actually connect with people.

In reply to Michael Hood:

carefully now you will be suggesting a OBE next 

💭 think 🤔 

Dred 30 Aug 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

If you like Zephaniah, you should also look up Linton Kwesi Johnson.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...