Ben Stokes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 31 Jul 2021

It's worrying when anyone has to step back from top level sport because of mental health concerns but I have to admit that I would never have had Ben Stokes marked down as someone who was susceptible.

I remember reading of the travails of arcus Trescothick and Jonathan Trott  and being surprised about them too.

OP GrahamD 31 Jul 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Ben Stokes: England all-rounder to miss India Test series and take 'indefinite break' from all cricket - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58033393

jezb1 31 Jul 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

It’s such a shame, I hope he’s in a good place soon.

David Alcock 31 Jul 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

He's a tough guy, and that shows in his decision. I wish him the best. 

squashmiller 31 Jul 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Surely anyone can be susceptible? 

OP GrahamD 31 Jul 2021
In reply to squashmiller:

Clearly anyone is susceptible.   I'd just never have had Stokes there - expecially having weathered the Bristol night club 'scandal'

Ridge 31 Jul 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> Clearly anyone is susceptible.   I'd just never have had Stokes there - expecially having weathered the Bristol night club 'scandal'

Everyone has a breaking point, previous 'successful' exposure to high levels of stress doesn't mean you're invulnerable.

In reply to GrahamD:

Amazing, and pleasing, how times have changed since Trescothick.

ben b 01 Aug 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

He’s a very, very talented and hard working cricketer with some obsessional tendencies around training. He’s also on the world stage on an intensely public way, and has had some fundamental issues of anger control. He’s hugely at risk, and I hope he gets through this intact and indeed enhanced. 

b

Michael Hood 01 Aug 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Can happen to anyone.

I imagine that one of the largest stresses on successful sportspeople is the pressure to keep performing at the highest levels. As well as the self expectation, we all contribute to that pressure with our expectations, but that will always be the case.

The things we can do to help are:

1. Knock down (I don't mean physically) anyone who basically says "don't be such a softie"
  2. Support the sufferer (on social media?) with "if you need a break (or whatever) then fair enough".

I think Biles has done a lot of good by publicising this issue. I'd certainly never heard of the "twisties" before but I can appreciate how it wouldn't be safe if mind and body aren't fully in tune. The dangers in cricket are slightly less obvious but would you want to face a 90mph bouncer if your mind wasn't properly focused.

In climbing we do this all the time (at a much lower magnitude) by backing off bold routes if it doesn't feel right, etc.

Bobling 02 Aug 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

Freddie's recentish documentary about his eating disorders really opened my eyes to how what we see on the pitch can be miles away from what's going on when the cameras aren't around.  Get better soon Ben!

OP GrahamD 03 Aug 2021
In reply to Bobling:

Absolutely.  Get well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...