Beer smells of weed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 17 Dec 2018

Ive just opened a 500ml bottle of Becks....my son had left it in the fridge and I cant be bothered to go to the off license for some 'real' beer.

But....it smells of skunk.....it seriously does....anyone else noticed this? 

Fozzy 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

That’ll be the hops 

Run_Ross_Run 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Yes, Peroni does too sometimes. 

Dave the Rave 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

> Ive just opened a 500ml bottle of Becks....my son had left it in the fridge and I cant be bothered to go to the off license for some 'real' beer.

> But....it smells of skunk.....it seriously does....anyone else noticed this? 

Has he cracked the bottle, had some skunk and a sip, then topped it up with water before recapping it to fool you?

Ramblin dave 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

> Yes, Peroni does too sometimes. 

It might be light-struck - that's something that particularly affects beers in green / clear bottles:

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/xy7vn4/this-is-why-your-beer-tastes...

OP abr1966 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Ramblin dave:

That is very interesting!! Ta

Tigger 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

It hadn't recently been stored in a Moon bouldering mat had it?

DaveHK 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

It's called skunking. It's a real thing.

Rebecca_h 17 Dec 2018

Hops is also a member of the Cannabaceae family and has many of the same aromatic compounds as Cannabis

nastyned 17 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Some modern hop varieties have a really do smell like dope. Americans call it 'dank' which thew me a bit when I started seeing people describe beer they liked as dank!

Timmd 17 Dec 2018
In reply to nastyned: Dank is also used in place of 'dope' to mean good, too. A friend with middle class bohemian roots uses street/youth talk and I occasionally take the mickey. It's something to do as much as anything else.     

Post edited at 23:58
 krikoman 18 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Yes, I've notice that too, it's also in the alcohol free version

jkarran 18 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

> Ive just opened a 500ml bottle of Becks....my son had left it in the fridge and I cant be bothered to go to the off license for some 'real' beer. But....it smells of skunk.....it seriously does....anyone else noticed this? 

Yeah, Becks and the alcohol free version particularly does. No idea which hop it is.

jk

Rigid Raider 18 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Becks?  It will be because in common with other industrial lagers Becks is actually Europiss, so what do you expect?

David Riley 18 Dec 2018

Thanks. I've wondered for years what lightstruck was.  I made an electronic beer tasting system (for Bass I think).  Lightstruck was one of the parameters it scored.

Ramblin dave 18 Dec 2018
In reply to David Riley:

I'm a geeky enough homebrewer to have done a group off-flavour tasting session, where you basically adulterate Budweiser with little vials of flavour essence that simulate the effect of various brewing / packaging flaws. When we got to the skunked / lightstruck one, we pretty much unanimously agreed that the result was indistinguishable from Corona!

felt 18 Dec 2018

> adulterate Budweiser

There's a strain of skunk called Bud Heavy.

Baron Weasel 20 Dec 2018

Skunking means that light has turned some of the aromatic compounds in the hops to something akin to the smell a skunk uses as a defence mechanism, not fragrant marijuana. 

Baron Weasel 20 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Desperados always reminds me of the smell of weed.

e.ms355 20 Dec 2018
In reply to abr1966:

It's an off flavour in beer, it happens when the beer in bottle is exposed to too much light and goes off.. often why people resort to using cans these days instead as a way of limiting that happening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...