Beach casting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 18 Sep 2020

When my dad died 5 years ago I got his beach casting rod/gear. I have no idea about fishing or anything rod related. Can anyone provide guidance? I live in Bedlington, Northumberland if that’s Helpful for recommending spots?

hang_about 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Try worldseafishing.com forums. Someone will probably be happy to show you the ropes

mattmurphy 18 Sep 2020

Sorry for your loss.

I love a bit of sea fishing when I get the chance. What sort of gear do you have? Is it a fixed spool reel or a multiplier?

OP Herdwickmatt 19 Sep 2020
In reply to mattmurphy:

Will try that website.

I have no idea whether it's a multiplier or spool reel. I'll get the gear out and try to work it out!

mick taylor 19 Sep 2020

Photo is a fixed spool reel. This is the type you would need as I reckon learning to cast with a multiplier is hard ( too many serious tangles).  Fishing from the beech in Northumberland can be very good, and from the little I know we are entering the best time of year. Good for winter good fishing (think my mates son caught a record somewhere near you, 18 pound).

I know very little about this type of fishing but generally: couple hours either side of high tide, casting as far as you can (generally, sometimes fishing in the surf can be good).  Lugworm, ragworm good baits, squid and mackerel strips also good.  Large weight, couple hooks. Big flask and plenty warm clothing.  Best replace the line as it rots over time.

I had the reel to hand coz I lent it to my mate - it’s handle is lying somewhere next to Donald Campbell in Coniston....

Edit: good shore fishing in your doorstep, cod, whiting - best time of year coming up - get practising and buy a bigger pan !!!

Post edited at 11:07

OP Herdwickmatt 19 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

Yes, so there are 2 of those type(different sizes) and a different style where the line would be spooled perpendicular to the rod. 

There’s also dozens of different hooks and lures.... this is all very confusing! It’s weird trying to do something you have absolutely no idea about!

mattmurphy 19 Sep 2020

Ignore the reel where the line is perpendicular to the rod for now. As Mick says they’re really hard to cast and need some serious practice.

For beach fishing you can’t go too far wrong with putting 20/30lb monofilament on the reel, a 5oz lead (with gripping wires if the tide is strong) and a 2/0 hook. Finding the fish can be a bit of trial and error, but a friendly tackle dealer should be able to point you in the right direction.

For fishing off rocks the setup is much the same, but you usually don’t need to cast as far.

Its well worth buying a cheap book about sea fishing for beginners so you have a robust starting point.

Removed User 19 Sep 2020

The beach just South of Alnmouth seems like a popular spot IIRC.

graeme jackson 19 Sep 2020

I used to go beach casting off Blyth beach till I left home.  Still see anglers there when I come down to see my folks

McHeath 19 Sep 2020

This video should be good for a start:

youtube.com/watch?v=NnpMaGRFp1s&

It's good to do some practicing before you go to the beach: learn to tie the knots he recommends at home until you're sure of them; you don't want to be fighting the wind and struggling to remember how the knot goes. 

Replace all the line, it can weaken enormously through age and use. Take the reel with emptied spool to a tackle shop and tell them what you're planning and that you're just starting out; they'll set you up with what you need. You'll also need a separate spool of much stronger line for cutting off lengths of shock leader. I'd also invest in some good new ball bearing swivels (the shop will advise you). Fixed spool reels have one big disadvantage: they put twists in the line, and good swivels help to remove these.

Go to a field and practice casting with just a lead and no hook. It's not difficult, you just have to get the knack of when to release the line with your forefinger. An hour should do it; don't try to break any distance records, just get the feel of coordinating the loading of the rod's spring and the point of release. 

Have fun! 

hang_about 19 Sep 2020
In reply to McHeath:

There's some good books and web sites out there. Things like shock leaders are important (your five ounce weight will disappear off to the horizon otherwise). The northern bunch are friendly and will often suggest a socially distance meet up.

Go somewhere safe as well. Piers can be a good start. On the north east some of the marks get cut off by the tide. Again, websites will say if they are safe or not. 

I love a bit of fishing on the rare chance I get to go (four nice fat mackerel last week ). 

Have fun. There's something very contemplative about sitting watching a rod tip for a few hours.

Wainers44 19 Sep 2020

I am not a proper sea fisherman. 

General rule, use the lightest lead you can. If it looks like you need to cast further, dont put on more lead, fish somewhere else. 

In my neck of the woods only use peeler crab, all the worm baits are sold to the tourists.  

Flounder are a nicer fish than their reputation, wrasse are not.

Apart from the beach casting rod I bought, all my sea kit was inherited from my dad. It's a type of fishing he loved. I wish I went with him more often than I did. Enjoy the fishing and the memories of your dad 

I am not a proper sea fisherman. 

Toerag 20 Sep 2020

What're the rod and reel models? Once we know that we can advise best on how to use them.

Post edited at 02:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...