BBC reporter in Leicester on lock down?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 12 May 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-52629255
Man charged after BBC reporter suffers racist abuse
Ms Kotecha was due to interview people on Sunday evening following the prime minister's statement on the coronavirus lockdown.

I'm not condoning the racist abuse: that's unforgiveable.
But what was a BBC film crew doing in Leicester under lock down.  How far from home were they?  Where are they normally based.

Or are they part of a metropolitan elite that think they're above the lock down guidance?

The person who has been charged with racial abuse should face charges.
But should the BBC reporter also be questioned on what they were doing in Leicester under lock down?

AdrianC 12 May 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Journalists have always been allowed to work.  Imagine if the government had prevented news organisations from working at the same time as lockdown.

Quite right. They should only report from places they can walk to from Broadcasting house in W1A, and speak to the people they find there. That would prove they’re not living in a metropolitan elite bubble....

stevieb 12 May 2020

> But what was a BBC film crew doing in Leicester under lock down.  How far from home were they?  Where are they normally based.

> Or are they part of a metropolitan elite that think they're above the lock down guidance?

She’s the Midlands’ correspondent

toad 12 May 2020

Racial abuse of a key worker. I think that’s pretty unambiguous, why don’t you?

Luke90 12 May 2020
In reply to AdrianC:

> Journalists have always been allowed to work.

Exactly. And that's not even by special exemption. The government guidelines have always been clear that those who can't work from home can go to work if appropriate social distancing can be maintained. An outside broadcast is certainly work that can be completed with social distancing in mind.

Andy Hardy 12 May 2020

As a slight aside I always wonder why journalists (especially political ones) have to stand in front of no. 10 or Big Ben or wherever, when the person they are speaking to is in a cosy studio less than 5 miles away?

groovejunkie 12 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

If it's the BBC, they have facilities at Westminster so would often likely be there anyway. Or maybe its just because it looks prettier! 

Bacon Butty 12 May 2020

I'm curious as to why you've waited for eight weeks of lockdown to complain about BBC journalists roaming the streets?

What pisses me off is traffic wardens ticketing cars on residential streets, when there's no where to park because most people are at home.  Key workers/essential work my arse.

mondite 12 May 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> As a slight aside I always wonder why journalists (especially political ones) have to stand in front of no. 10 or Big Ben or wherever, when the person they are speaking to is in a cosy studio less than 5 miles away?

The standing outside a building and going something is happening inside which we cant see is always a classic. A good example was when Johnson was in hospital and had all the crews standing aimlessly outside the hospital.

In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

It was contrast between pressing charges whilst roaming the streets during lock down.

The classic example was on Sunday evening after Boris had spoken, the BBC had LauraK standing outside the Palace of Westminster.  Why FFS?  She could perfectly well have said what she said sitting in a BBC studio.

The risk of infection in the open air is much lower than in an enclosed studio.

nufkin 12 May 2020
In reply to Taylor's Landlord:

>  What pisses me off is traffic wardens ticketing cars on residential streets, when there's no where to park because most people are at home

With all the tiresome smugness of someone who doesn't own a car, I'd venture that the purpose of traffic wardens is precisely to stop people parking on the streets

jasonC abroad 12 May 2020

> Or are they part of a metropolitan elite that think they're above the lock down guidance?

In that case the groups of people gathering in my local park and drinking together must also be part of the "metropolitan elite". I always thought they were some special group not just a bunch of locals swigging a few beers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...