Bakewell Pudding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 05 Nov 2021

The Hairy Bikers was on my TV last night. Before I threw the TV out of the window I caught a glimpse of a Bakewell Pudding. Uses breadcrumbs as a key ingredient. Fancy a bash. Anyone done it, top tips etc?  

subtle 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> The Hairy Bikers was on my TV last night. Before I threw the TV out of the window I caught a glimpse of a Bakewell Pudding. Uses breadcrumbs as a key ingredient. Fancy a bash. Anyone done it, top tips etc?  

If you have a computer / ipad then try and find the said programme and watch it, they will describe how to make the aforementioned pudding and you can then follow their process / recipe.

If you don't have access to the internet then perhaps pop along to the local library (if its still open) and then get out their cookbook where they will, once again, detail out the process and ingredient.

Failing that you could wait and, no doubt, someone will be along here to advise you on how to make their version of the pudding - it wont however be the same as the one from the TV.

Good luck, and if you do manage to make the pudding let us know how you get on.

Dave Garnett 05 Nov 2021

I didn't see it, but it would have to be truly amazing to beat the Tim Heywood one in the Fitzbillies book.  My wife has spent months perfecting the commercial scale version - lots of frangipane and fresh raspberries.  It was tough doing all the taste testing, but someone had to!  

In reply to subtle:

Aye, replaying on iplayer would be easiest. It was an odd recipe in its use of breadcrumbs. I’ve got some raspberries in the freezer as well. Or a damson version??  Perhaps served with a damson vodka cream????

I believe they visited a bakery that made a Buxton Pudding which is the one you are referring to. https://www.buxtonpudding.co.uk/all/buxtonpudding
Incidentally did anyone spot the Lake District footage in the infills, defintely not the Peak. Oh yes and they also sinned with reference to the 'Peaks'.

Post edited at 14:51

A quick google suggest I’ll need to use catchup to get the recipe since I couldn’t find any references to a HB recipe for a pudding with breadcrumbs.

Bakewell pudding sounds (potentially) fab as I do like frangipane 😋.

Lakeslina 05 Nov 2021

Google gives Mrs Beeton's Bakewell Pudding, which uses breadcrumbs. Not tried it, but I've been looking for a way to use up all the breadcrumbs lurking in the freezer, so I probably will at some point.

In reply to Lakeslina:

From Keith’s link:

Ingredients:

Buxton Pudding Topping (Breadcrumb (Wheat), Butter (Milk), Sugar, Egg),

Raspberry Preserve (Raspberries, Sugar, Pectin, Butter (Milk)),

Sweet Shortcrust Pastry (Self Raising Flour (Wheat), Water, Butter (Milk), Sugar, Egg).

Thinking the topping may be a rich egg custard thickened with breadcrumbs?  On TV they really splodged it into the pastry case - quite thick consistency. 

robert-hutton 05 Nov 2021

Replace the bread crumbs with ground almonds, sugar pastry with puff pastry add Kirsch into the recipe with plenty of eggs and butter, no flour.

In reply to robert-hutton:

Will try that second time. 

Yep. I was raised on the ground almonds version. No flour or breadcrumbs in the filling.

CantClimbTom 05 Nov 2021

> ...Before I threw the TV out of the window...

Wow, you live the rock 'n roll lifestyle? Hopefully it landed in a swimming pool below then you went back to the vodka bottle (etc, etc) 

ranger*goy 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I do a Mary Berry version of this. I don’t like icing on the top.

In reply to ranger*goy:

> I do a Mary Berry version of this. I don’t like icing on the top.

Pudding has never had icing on top, Mr Kipling "tart" does but that's in a different level of experience.

ranger*goy 05 Nov 2021
In reply to robert-hutton

What’s the difference between Bakewell tart and Bakewell pudding?

In reply to ranger*goy:

Completely different,

Pudding - very moist almost runny,  light texture and very flavoursome.

Tart - dry can be heavy and bland

In reply to ranger*goy:

Yeh there's no icing. That's Kipling bakewell tart you're thinking of. What I got fed is like a moist goopy barely solid almondy thing. You'd probably think it looked like gone off quiche if you'd never seen it before.

Post edited at 18:57
In reply to subtle:

> If you have a computer / ipad then try and find the said programme and watch it,

Isn't there a danger the computer/tablet would also end up thrown out of the window...?

Philip 05 Nov 2021

> Yeh there's no icing. That's Kipling bakewell tart you're thinking of. What I got fed is like a moist goopy barely solid almondy thing. You'd probably think it looked like gone off quiche if you'd never seen it before.

Dan saaaffff we call it frangipane. You northerners probably call it pudding.

Matt Podd 05 Nov 2021

It was Buxton Pudding on the show. Even though I am in Buxton, never tried it. If they do a Gluten free version that would be great as I could share it with my wife. May wander down tomorrow and investigate.

Bakewell pudding is great, Bakewell tart with the icing on is not so good.

And Talking of Bakewell - When is the parkrun returning?

Got me wondering, how many towns have two different eponymous baked goods?

ranger*goy 05 Nov 2021

The tart I’ve been making definitely isn’t dry, it’s really moist. Pastry base. Spoonful of raspberry jam. Ground almonds, sugar and eggs. A few flaked almonds on top.

In reply to Philip:

Nah, frangipane is more custardy than this. Imagine stirring a load more ground almond in and you're getting there. It's more like a really wet sponge.

AndrewS 05 Nov 2021
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

At about 40 mins in, the "breathtaking Stanage Edge" seems to have relocated to somewhere near Monsal Dale.

> Got me wondering, how many towns have two different eponymous baked goods?

Vienna has loads.

jimtitt 05 Nov 2021

Even a whole class of baked goods including the croissant and Danish pastries, viennoiseries or something like that.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Wow, you live the rock 'n roll lifestyle? Hopefully it landed in a swimming pool below then you went back to the vodka bottle (etc, etc) 

I knew a guy who actually threw his TV out of his living room window. He was playing Bob Marley and someone put Madonna on. True. Weargarth in Sunderland. Crazy things happened there. Someone below his flat looked up and saw the swinging TV. 

BTW, I find Hairy Bkers a bit naff, but don’t mind this series. 

> Got me wondering, how many towns have two different eponymous baked goods?

Meat and Potato Pie

Butter Pie

Meat Pie

Cheese and Onion Pie

Doner Kebab Meat Pie

Chip Pie

Spam Pie

Spam spam spam and spam pie 

I could go on. ..

In reply to Philip:

> Dan saaaffff we call it frangipane. You northerners probably call it pudding.

Up north it counts as one of your five a day. Just like cider. And fags. 

Pedro50 05 Nov 2021
In reply to ranger*goy:

> What’s the difference between Bakewell tart and Bakewell pudding?

Shouldn't this be on the joke thread?

CantClimbTom 05 Nov 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Shouldn't this be on the joke thread?

Sounds like it'd be the opening line of a Roy Chubby Brown joke

In reply to Pedro50:

> What’s the difference between Bakewell tart and Bakewell pudding?

> Shouldn't this be on the joke thread?

Nope, Politics forum: Rishi Sunaks: “Eat Out to Help Out”…....,,,

McHeath 06 Nov 2021
In reply to ranger*goy:

None; they're both easy to make, and are readily available round Bakewell Square.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...