Autumn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 30 Sep 2021

The last couple of days have very suddenly felt like autumn! It was 21 degrees on Sunday, yesterday's high was 12 and this morning's canicross run with the dog felt more like I was swimming at times! Lol. I don't think the change in seasons is normally quite so quick.

I do like autumn a lot though. The weather is a much better temperature for being active and I also quite like being cosy indoors when it's stormy outside!

fmck 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes I noticed a couple of days ago the trees have made a very noticeable change in colour. Time to wheel the big Bbq to its winter home. Lid put on the chimney stack to the chimera. 

BusyLizzie 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes it has felt quick this year. Cold when I go out in the mornings. Unpleasantly cold at work cos I work in a vast old stone buikding and they refuse to put the heating on till October. Suddenly it will creak into life and we shall be boiling hot.

Anyway ... yippee for frosty mornings, autumn leaves, running in a hat and gloves ... all wonderful.

In reply to girlymonkey:

I have noticed a lot of fallen green leaves recently, I wonder if the spell of dry warm weather we had in September has caused them to drop early? The weather is now making up for that with several deluges.

Boomer Doomer 30 Sep 2021
In reply to fmck:

> Lid put on the chimney stack to the chimera. 

Wow... you have an actual chimera! I thought they were merely the stuff of legends!

Bottom Clinger 30 Sep 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In north west England, October is on average the wettest month which means it is often very, very wet. I still try and make the best of it though (when I can - my dodgy back has flared up).  

In reply to girlymonkey:

Autumn is a lot of peoples favourite season, the spectacular colours, perhaps even the most popular? It's peculiar really, it's the season of decay (for life and light). I prefer spring, it fills me with more hope, though I also love the splendour of the autumnal swan song. I agree about the temperature... autumn and spring are the best for exercise.

In reply to girlymonkey:

Yes, definitely cold on the tops above Holmfirth yesterday. Wished I'd taken gloves while out running with the dog!

rif 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Had to scrape ice off my car windscreen yesterday morning. But still a few weeks short of peak leaf colour in the Highlands.

Mark Edwards 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

The tree that overhangs my garden has developed some yellowing leaves in the last few days. So it’s time to get the netting over the pond to stop it filling up with leaves. The Virginia creeper is now all red which marks the end of summer to me.

wilkie14c 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I’ve been moping around the house for weeks with the great weather we’ve had, desperate to get out and wet a line but it’s just been too hot and dry. Tomorrow is the traditional start of the Pike fishing season, the trent is up and pushing through with a weeks worth of rain and i’m getting out to throw a few big lures hoping for some action. Can you tell i’m excited?! 

Martin W 30 Sep 2021
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> Unpleasantly cold at work cos I work in a vast old stone buikding and they refuse to put the heating on till October. Suddenly it will creak into life and we shall be boiling hot.

Perhaps they need to have the concept of the thermostat explained to them?

Our central heating has ticked on the past couple of mornings, as I expected it to do given the current outside temperatures.  I actually came on briefly on a couple of mornings at the beginning of this month, but then the weather warmed up again.   The room thermostat setting is left unchanged throughout the year.

I tend to regard claims of "we never turn the heating on until <x date>" as a badge of stupidity rather than pride.

skog 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Boomer Doomer:

> Autumn is a lot of peoples favourite season, the spectacular colours, perhaps even the most popular? It's peculiar really, it's the season of decay (for life and light).

Decay is just a different type of life getting all active, though. Autumn is the best season for fungi (and other rotting organisms).

We've had wonderful hauls of chanterelles, hedgehog mushrooms and puffballs the last couple of weekends.

I find that I look forward to each of the seasons - they all have their own beauty and interest, and they change quickly enough that there isn't generally enough time to get fed up with them.

Philip 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I love autumn. But how I remember it:

Colourful leaves, lots on the ground, conkers and acorns, foggy mornings, cold air, dry rock, sunshine without the heat

How it turns out:

Wet leaves, wet mud, fog, cold penetrating damp air, wet rock, dark grey skies

Still it remains my favourite season. Jam making, slow cooked meal, no suncream needed, no mowing, Christmas holidays waiting at the end.

BusyLizzie 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

I am reminded of Moonfleet, "My aunt would never have a fire before November".

There is certainly no thermostat in this building BUT I have just got in and the radiators are on. Miracle!

Post edited at 10:00
In reply to Philip:

> I love autumn. But how I remember it:

> Colourful leaves, lots on the ground, conkers and acorns, foggy mornings, cold air, dry rock, sunshine without the heat

> How it turns out:

> Wet leaves, wet mud, fog, cold penetrating damp air, wet rock, dark grey skies

>

> Still it remains my favourite season. Jam making, slow cooked meal, no suncream needed, no mowing, Christmas holidays waiting at the end.

I like your thinking and optimism. Spring summer for me all the way though. I hate dark nights and dreary wet days. 

BusyLizzie 30 Sep 2021
In reply to skog:

> Decay is just a different type of life getting all active, though. Autumn is the best season for fungi (and other rotting organisms).

When the children were small I used to tell them that whenever you see death in the garden, the next thing you see is new life. It is true on several timescales - spring eventually, but if you tell that to a toddler and then rootle around a bit you can usually find new leaves or shoots to show them.

In reply to skog:

Yes, you're right. Life's continuous and wondrous cycles.

Fungi. Now that's a very interesting subject... but that would deserve a whole new thread. A guy called Paul Stamets springs to mind, well worth checking out... there's a very good Joe Rogan podcast with him... fascinating stuff.

Dax H 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Autumn is an excellent time, nice mild weather, a hint of frost and the signs that winter is on its way.

Spring, winter, autumn, summer is my order of preference. Winter would be top but the short days push it down the list a bit. 

AllanMac 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

The bright red rowan berries are beautiful this year especially caught in the sunshine with a background of blue sky, as they were yesterday in the woods above Kenmore. 

colinakmc 30 Sep 2021
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> I have noticed a lot of fallen green leaves recently, I wonder if the spell of dry warm weather we had in September has caused them to drop early? The weather is now making up for that with several deluges.

As far as I recall (from botany studies too many years ago) it’s solely shortening day length that triggers leaf fall. However observation suggests that strong winds can knock things off prematurely. I also have an influx of green leaves in my garden!

Lankyman 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I was walking around the fields by the River Wyre yesterday and it and all the small brooks were in moderate spate. I can't remember the last time I saw them brown and frothy like that. The moors and all the little grit outcrops stood out crystal clear in the sunshine (when it shone!). It has rained a lot, hopefully filling the reservoirs in the Lakes again.

veteye 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Martin W:

> I tend to regard claims of "we never turn the heating on until <x date>" as a badge of stupidity rather than pride.

Pride no. Stupidity no, not if everyone can tolerate a few days of less comfort. It saves some money, and also chucks out less CO2. ( I am not defending the workplace owners not insulating more).

Martin W 30 Sep 2021
In reply to veteye:

I would suggest that running the thermostat a degree or two lower all the time would have a similar effect without requiring any manual intervention, and be more beneficial environmentally as the energy usage would be reduced for the while duration of the cold weather months rather being just for a few days in the lead up to an arbitrary calendar date.

In this house the comfort threshold is roughly the point where we would seriously need to consider adding hats and full gloves* to the thermals, sweaters etc already being worn in order to be able to pursue normal sedentary indoor activities (such as bullshitting on online forums <winky>).

* Fingerless gloves/wrist warmers are often worn in our house over the winter.

Stichtplate 30 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

The onset of chilly weather has prompted Mrs Sticht to take The Dog clothes shopping. I’m not sure if I fully approve (my approval is neither here nor there).

arch 30 Sep 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

> I’ve been moping around the house for weeks with the great weather we’ve had, desperate to get out and wet a line but it’s just been too hot and dry. Tomorrow is the traditional start of the Pike fishing season, the trent is up and pushing through with a weeks worth of rain and i’m getting out to throw a few big lures hoping for some action. Can you tell i’m excited?! 

There was a lot of debris coming down last night, I needed 5oz to hold bottom three rod lengths out, and then only for about 10 minutes before it moved.

Bottom Clinger 30 Sep 2021
In reply to arch:

After barbel?  Catch any?

OP girlymonkey 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Aww, poor doggo! Lol

First time we put a coat on ours, he just froze and didn't believe he could actually move. He now chooses it on a windy day on the hill. If it's getting quite windy we get it out and if he shoves his head towards it, we put it on him. If he doesn't bother, neither do we. 

We also have a drying coat, which he doesn't get as much choice over! This is not for his comfort but for the cleanliness of our house (ok, stretching the idea of cleanliness a bit if we are talking about our house!)

OP girlymonkey 30 Sep 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, as much as we like to moan about the rain, we really do need it just now!

wilkie14c 01 Oct 2021
In reply to arch:

Not too much rubbish coming down but river was very coloured. The Pike didn’t want to chase lures today, only action was from a firetiger spinnerbait (dirty water favourite and common blank saver!) 

3 hits, just one on the bank, a small jace but in perfect condition. Good day really, a few miles walked and some fresh air

McHeath 01 Oct 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

> 3 hits, just one on the bank, a small jace but in perfect condition. 

I hope that should be jack and not dace! 

Bottom Clinger 02 Oct 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

Next spring , when the Cumbrian lakes get a tad of warmth and the pike have spawned and are feeding, (and I’ve got a tow bar fitted!), I will post on here for boat partners for Coniston and the likes. Amazing fishing when you know where to go.......  Big lures like replicants and bull dawgs = mega fish. They often hit your lure hard, sometimes at the rod tip. Love it all. All pike are quality. 

mondite 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

My preferred lure is dynamite. Are you still up for a trip?

Bottom Clinger 02 Oct 2021
In reply to mondite:

Not my scene really, but I’ll try anything once:

https://dynamitebaits.com/

In reply to girlymonkey:

Autumn where you find me wearing shorts and a jumper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...