Audio books - a new addiction ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've just got into these recently after deciding that I'm sick of staring at a screen watching the same old things on youtube and netflix over and over again.

I'm loving it.   I think the fact that there's no moving images on the screen, so it goes to sleep , and I can just listen in the dark is partly responsible for me sleeping so well these days .

What's with the price though ?  30 quid some of these books I want . 

I've only got 4 books so far ,  I'm having to wait for my credits to land before I can really get the books I want . otherwise its the cheap short stories or books out of sequence I'm purchasing presently. 

I've already gained about 7 listening badges , from my extended sessions 

I recently really really enjoyed "Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work" The first Warhammer 40K book I've ever got.

Brilliantly performed by John Banks - A wonderful actor 

http://www.john-banks.com/

Highly recommended if you like that sort of thing.

AP

Tony Buckley 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Archmagos_Dominus:

If you're with  Audible then some of their original podcasts are worth a listen.  Free with your subscription, so not free really but they don't use any of your credits.

T.

ianstevens 10 Jun 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Don’t use audible. Sign up to

your local library instead which will have an equally large collection of audiobooks, for free!

Dax H 10 Jun 2021

I can't get in to audio books. One of the lads I work with brought a audi version of a book I have read a couple of times when we had a long drive but it was just wrong. In my head I know what each character sounds like and it was nothing like the narrator. 

kylos8048 10 Jun 2021

Books on audible cost 1 token. Never buy a book with the 'listed price'. Always use a token. 

You get 1 token every month with your subscription, (6.99/month I think) so 1 book per month. 

You can buy 3 tokens for 18 quid. So 3 books 6 quid each. 

The longer the book the greater value the token gets you. I listen to a lot of fantasy books and love it. Some of Brandon Sanderson's books are 55 hours. 

I'd be wary any books recorded before 2010 as the quality of the recording is probably poor. It's only really in the last few years audiobooks have had real production quality. 

Post edited at 16:13
 rj_townsend 10 Jun 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> Don’t use audible. Sign up to

> your local library instead which will have an equally large collection of audiobooks, for free!

I've recently signed-up for the county library services for audiobooks having subscribed to Audible for years. I wish it were true that the library collection has equal breadth to Audible's, but sadly it is very far from the case. However, for books I'm only likely to listen to once, it is fine, even with the lengthy waits for them to become available.

Yanis Nayu 10 Jun 2021

I’m not  sure they’d work for me - never managed to get through a 45min podcast without falling asleep, no matter how interesting!

Dax H 10 Jun 2021
In reply to kylos8048:

According to the lad at work if you try cancel audible they will bung you some free tokens. 

ianstevens 10 Jun 2021
In reply to rj_townsend:

That’s true, it is a little more restricted - but still loads of good stuff.

smithg 10 Jun 2021

Look at https://librivox.org/

Huge catalogue of free recordings of out of copyright books and stories etc

eg Dickens, Lovecraft, Poe

enough to keep you going between credits.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...