Application to remain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Heike 02 May 2019

So, the deed is done. Despite doubts about the process I have applied today for my right to remain in Scotland...god knows what will happen! It wasn't as easy as they said, half the time the app wasn't working, but I got there in the end. Lived here for 24 years and a half -more than half my life -, let's see if I can stay. Now I have to wait for an answer! Fingers crossed!

Post edited at 18:58
 elsewhere 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

My wife did the same, the response is pretty quick (a few days?). Now thinking about citizenship but that's £1000-£2000 and has to be done asap to retain German nationality (dual nationality obtained whilst UK still in EU is OK).

Post edited at 18:47
OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Wow, that's a lot of cash... I don't know what to do. My husband is British, my son has got German/British nationality and I have got German nationality only.  Do you think its worth getting the dual nationality for me/your wife, I don't even know whether I am allowed to stay yet...sigh.

elsewhere 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

> Wow, that's a lot of cash... I don't know what to do. My husband is British, my son has got German/British nationality and I have got German nationality only.  Do you think its worth getting the dual nationality for me/your wife, I don't even know whether I am allowed to stay yet...sigh.

I'm ashamed that my country no longer welcomes you with open arms. 

I'm also ashamed that it is probably worth getting citizenship so that you can't be deported* or denied pension/NHS* you've paid your taxes for.

* as happened to an admittedly tiny fraction of the "Windrush generation".

OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Thank you very much, but don't feel the need to apologise. No reason for you and anyone else from the climbing pals etc to be feeling ashamed. I have always felt welcome and very happy in this country until this stupid Brexit campaign appeared.  It's a toxic political climate and we just have to resist supporting it.

Post edited at 19:05
 Rob Parsons 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

> ... Do you think its worth getting the dual nationality for me/your wife, I don't even know whether I am allowed to stay yet

For anybody who has formally been granted 'indefinite leave to remain' in the UK and is planning to stay here, I do not think there is any added advantage in seeking citizenship. So unless you particularly want UK citizenship, I don't think it should matter in your case.

Many people who have been living in the UK for decades are in exactly this position by the way; it's not a new thing.

The previous reference in this thread to Windrush is a red herring I think. The treatment of people in those cases has been inhuman, scandalous and shameful, and it should never have happened; but the formal difference is that none of them had a piece of paper to wave around to prove that they actually had the right to stay in the UK.

PS: Good luck with your application by the way. I assume/hope it will be a formality.

Post edited at 19:52
 doz 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

Heike, you have as much right to stay in this country as any other person....anyone who says differently is a fool and welcome to leave...😊

OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to doz:

Thanks, doz!!

Big Steve 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

My wife submitted her indefinite leave to remain application February, still haven't heard anything, been told it can take up to 6 months though

OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to Big Steve:

What?? They said to me 5-9 working days.... Jeez!

elsewhere 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

On a brighter note ARD Media app great for German tv,. No sign up and no ads which is strange. Tatort galore!

Post edited at 20:55
OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Hahaha. One of my favourites!!!

Tatort und Polizeiruf 110 and Hubert and Staller (I am from Bavaria....)

Post edited at 21:10
 elsewhere 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

Watched drama about Flowtex scandal - they sound just like some of my Baden in-laws.

OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

I know it is very funny and good to have this free resource 

OP Heike 02 May 2019
In reply to doz:

I wish others would see it this way. That is what I was led to believe when I came here as a young student decades ago. I have since worked here in education and climbing instruction all my life. 

jkarran 02 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

Soory, we've let you and ourselves down terribly. I hope it works out for you. 

Jk 

doz 03 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

People seem to forget that it's really not that long ago our ancestors were all kicking about in Africa......

Sadly some folk get hung up over who's great great granny got someplace first.....

nniff 03 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. Personally, I am profoundly ashamed of the whole wretched state of affairs. 

For the first time ever, I voted yesterday with a sense of utter futility.  It being local elections, I voted as I would pre-fiasco.  Had it been a national election, I'm not sure what  I would have done as never have I had less faith in the judgement, morals or integrity of politicians.

And now you can add Bombardier to the list of firms stepping away from the wreckage - the constituency in which the plant is located voted to leave, as did north Belfast.  Belfast West and South voted to remain.  Swindon (Honda) leave,  Sunderland (Nissan) leave.  Derbyshire (Toyota, RR, Bombardier etc) leave. Coventry (Jaguar Landrover) leave.

My own employer depends on expertise drawn from across Europe.  Most of them are in their mid to late twenties - whatever they personally plan to do, it will make business more difficult because, as a growing firm we're always looking for very talented people.

subtle 03 May 2019
In reply to Heike:

I wish you well, and as other have said, apologise you are having to through this process.

OP Heike 03 May 2019
In reply to subtle:

Thank you for your kind message.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...