Anyone travelled to Germany recently? Question on Covid...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all,

I've got to go to a wedding in Germany on Thursday. Back Sunday. Have worked most things out but struggling to understand the return test criteria. Basically the gov website says "you must take the test in the 3 days before you travel to England". Which is fine... except I arrive at 16:30ish on Thursday and depart at 17:30ish on Sunday. 3 days and 1 hour later.

I'm wondering if it's worth waiting an hour, then getting tested so I don't have to return to the airport to get a test the next day. The airport is only 30 mins from the wedding. 

Thing is I can't work out if it's within three days of departing the country or within three days of arriving back in the UK. If the latter then I'd have to wait at the airport for three hours on Thursday which means I'd be better off popping back the next day...

Anybody got any experience? Where exactly do you present evidence of your negative test? At the departing airport or at the destination airport?

Thanks in advance!

rlrs 31 Aug 2021
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

This is the wording from the government website: "...a test taken in the three days before the service departs". So it can even be on the day you depart, so far as you get the result before you fly, i.e. from an antigen test. The test certificate has to be in English, French or Spanish. From my experience in Germany, a pharmacy in a town near an airport was providing this service.

In reply to rlrs:

Blimmin eck, I couldn't find that first time around. But I looked again. Cheers!

rlrs 31 Aug 2021

No problem! Don't forget the test or tests in the UK when you get back. It's a minefield this stuff.

In reply to rlrs:

I’ve just spent the last few hours getting that all sorted. Tell me about it! But then again, my choice to go away in the middle of a pandemic so didn’t expect it to be easy.

Oh how I long for 2019!!

Thanks again!

Yanis Nayu 31 Aug 2021

Sounds like a great way of getting out of going. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The thought crossed my mind more than once... but sadly there are two other brits going with me... one of whom is the main bridesmaid..

summo 31 Aug 2021

Just don't fall for the over priced fit to fly pcr tests... antigen tests are sufficient and accepted by carriers and European border agencies. 

Post edited at 20:51
In reply to summo:

Thanks for the headsup. In the end I've booked an appointment for an antigen test in Munich Airport. Was 45 euros. 

Seems weird Germany is green list yet these tests are still necessary. Not really sure what the point of the Green List actually is. 

summo 01 Sep 2021

> Seems weird Germany is green list yet these tests are still necessary. Not really sure what the point of the Green List actually is. 

It's a way for the uk government to feel good, in relative terms the uk is on Europe's red list! 

I'm presuming you're double vaccinated, otherwise you'll likely be turned away. I flew into Copenhagen and had admin checked twice between aircraft and baggage hall. 

Post edited at 06:46
In reply to summo:

Yes, double vaccinated and have done the NHS app identification thing to get the PDF with the QR code for them to scan to prove it. 

It's all very odd. But then again I'm no virologist...

Šljiva 01 Sep 2021
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer: you’ll need the vaccine proof to do just about anything there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...