Anyone else enjoying lockdown?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Derry 28 Mar 2020

It's against the general 'I m bored out of my mind' trend, but I'm actually having a great time thus far. Spending loads of quality time with the kids (6 & 8) and the missus. Home schooling has been well supported by the school setting up Google classroom, plus my kids love to learn so we've got loads planned. Done all those jobs (well ok, not all ...yet) that I've never had enough time for. Eating better, not rushing around to after school clubs. All in all in feeling pretty relaxed (given there's not many cases in my part of the UK) and reevaluating our lifestyle. Anyone else seeing personal positives of forced enclosure?

Post edited at 22:11
 Blue Straggler 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

It is changing my perspective on various things and I think always in a positive way 

Baron Weasel 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

I think a global commemorative mourning shutdown should take place for a month every year henceforth. 

Darron 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Bizarrely, when the sun shines I’m enjoying the lack of pressure to climb! Must be getting old. No doubt be out of the blocks come free time.

Sealwife 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Me.  I am more relaxed than I have been for years.  Sudden removal of expectations and schedules, no mad rushing around between jobs, kids etc.  

kipper12 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

Am, I the only one hating it.  I’ve to work from nome, but no proper kit, just my  iPad and a dining table and chair,  our network wasn’t designed for the massive increase in traffic, so is slow.  After 3 days I’ve sore shoulders already. After each day I feel knackered.  Add to that the not being able to get out to visit any green spaces, as I’m marooned in a city.  Add to this I’m trying to get a house move over the line, struggling with a break up and renting a room until May.  I can’t go and visit my friends/family and I’ve no real a anchors right now.

so, all in all no I’m not enjoying it.  Far from it, some days I feel I’m hanging to my sanity by a thread at the moment.  A perfect storm of crap!!

Tim Sparrow 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Yes. The garden has never had such a hammering. Might not feel he same after a week of rain mind. 

OP Derry 28 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Sorry to hear that. I admit, we are in a lucky position where I'm holed up. But most people I know have similar sentiments as you (granted not as much all at once) and was curious who was getting some positives. 

Sealwife 28 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Aw kipper12, that sounds hard.

Big Steve 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Hating it, I live on my own, got no garden just a backyard, I usually work on my own outside all day but now the highlight of my day is a 5 minute talk over the fence with my neighbour who says the same thing everyday. 

Timmd 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12: I don't know how far you are from a decent one, but my great uncle used to be an avid cyclist in Liverpool. With them being on the essential services list, maybe you could buy a mask and some gloves to protect yourself and the staff, and see about getting a bike to get to green spaces with?

I do hope things get better for you, even if that's just getting better at coping...

Post edited at 03:19
 kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Sealwife:

No, not easy at all.  I would like a little break gong my way.  

kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Cheers, I rally hate complaining, but when I read your post, I it gave me to let off a bit of steam. I I wonder if in a few weeks, I’ll be wearing my underpants on my head and shoving a pencil in each nostril.

ianstevens 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Nope, I’m with you - I hate it as well. Working from home sucks (even with a decent computer and internet connection) as I’m unable to draw a clear line between being at work and not. Which means I’m less productive when I’m supposed to be working and constantly feel like I should be working when I’m not. 

Add to that that literally all the things I enjoy doing involve being outside or are done not in the house. I really don’t get the argument that people now have time to do things they’ve always wanted to do and never have - you’ve never not been able to sit down and read that book/do that little project etc., you’ve just chosen not to. I live in a city because I work in one and hate long commutes, and the green space in it, whilst accessible, really isn’t the same as open country.

buzby 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

I am dealing ok with it, don't know if anyone else on here is like me but I have constantly to fight a lazy gene I have.

If I didn't love the outdoors and especially the hills I could easily spend my life watching tv on the sofa. Every day its a struggle not to sit around on my arse doing very little but in my inner conflict my better half usually wins over.

Its the same with junk food, constant battle to eat the right things, a kind of Jeckyll and Hyde character where every day is a battle.

The lockdown was made for Mr Hyde and he's winning at the moment .  

kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Cheers

to add to the fun, where I’m stuck living, the owner is very pleasant.  However, he’s a slob.  The microwave is covered in dried on soup, I’m  in danger of catching something from the bathroom etc.  I

I did a bit of a deep clean yesterday.  I can’t wait to get into my own place 

Blunderbuss 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

I wouldn't say I am enjoying it but is it not too bad atm....it's novel though and I have plenty of stuff to do in the house/garden.....this will soon run out and as it goes on I can see myself getting very bored.

One positive is that when this is over I know i will appreciate the simple things in life so much more....

OP Derry 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Yes agreed, my friend last night said it was a good experience for their son (who has it easy and just takes everything for granted) and has had a real wake-up call.

but I'm actually appreciating simple things right now too. I went on a remote expedition last year and the three weeks at base camp were wonderful; between climbs I was enjoying taking an age doing the dishes, or stretching each morning for 30 minutes. Just doing things at a slower pace and enjoying stuff I would normally find a chore. And this situation reminds me slightly of it. Not rushing from one job to the next. Not stressed. Just trying to make good of a time with not a lot to do.

Neil Williams 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Eating more sensibly due to a lack of available junk food.

Doing more exercise because of online boot camps the place I normally go to is doing, meaning doing one takes 45 minutes, not 45 minutes plus driving or cycling there and back, so I'm doing one most days instead of a couple a week.

Work near enough exactly the same as usual as I work from home mostly anyway.

More sociable than usual because Zoom/Skype/whatever parties are easier to organise than real ones.

So yeah, not bad overall really, though for the sake of everyone I do hope it is over as soon as is sensibly possible.

Re climbing I've gone through a phase of keeping getting injured (in specific ways) yet feeling I want to climb anyway, so a few months off will allow those injuries to properly recover without feeling like it would be taking big chunks out of my social life.

Post edited at 09:51
In reply to ianstevens:

> Nope, I’m with you - I hate it as well. Working from home sucks (even with a decent computer and internet connection) as I’m unable to draw a clear line between being at work and not. Which means I’m less productive when I’m supposed to be working and constantly feel like I should be working when I’m not. 

I've never found that a bad thing, so I suppose it depends on the individual, as I've worked mostly from home for well over 5 years now.  I find I drag the day out somewhat - for instance a 2 hour lunch break for a run, shower then a leisurely cooked lunch isn't a problem (provided I've got no meetings) because I just work another hour on the end of the day instead.  Or if I'm really stuck on something I can have a decent long break, and if I genuinely feel like getting something done at 10pm I can do.

That won't suit everyone but it is a different mindset, other than that I don't start before 9am as I'm not a morning person (unless I have an early meeting which is rare) I find trying to stick to a regimented 9-5:30 day (or whatever) doesn't work well for me when WFH.

This however does probably work better for a single person than a family person.  And it depends very much on how much pressure your work puts on you - if you have a poor work-life balance or an overbearing manager it really won't work for you, fortunately for me those things are fine, our company has good management and things are not pressured except for brief periods when they need to be.

Post edited at 09:47
In reply to kipper12:

I hope you do manage to get things sorted, that sounds like a perfect storm of unpleasantness.

Phil1919 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I haven't checked all the replies you've had so far Kipper but I have got a lot out of using Zoom to connect with people I'm close to and I'm amazed how easy and how good it is. I have a friend is taking counselling help through zoom as well and hardly notices the differences between that and real life meeting. My help from this is to stay in the present moment, and stay in my 'higher self'.....that is, I try not to have bad thoughts about people etc and don't wish for what I can't get......just appreciate what is around me. Planning is ok, but not worrying. 

Best wishes from another human being.

Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

One of the things which comes out of all this is that people's experiences of lockdown vary hugely. Although we are both over 70 and so must consider ourselves more than averagely vulnerable, we spend a lot of time telling each other, and agreeing, that we are in a very fortunate position. We live in a small clutch of houses in a rural area so isolation isn't difficult. We have a decent sized garden and we can have quiet walks or bike rides from the door. Our income is more than averagely safe.

Walking through a sunny local wood the other day surrounded by thousands of wild daffodils, and other wild flowers we counted our blessings. I can't imagine (or perhaps don't choose to imagine) how a young single mum with toddlers (or even an abusive partner) living in a tower block can retain sanity. There must be an epidemic of child abuse or domestic violence on the cards. I'm really sorry for people, including some on this thread who are clearly having a totally crap time and have only my sympathy to offer. 

Phil1919 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Lovely.

I have just zoomed my nephew who has 3 week old twins and a 3 year old. They were absolutely fine and will have at least 12 weeks to bond as oppose to him having to go out to work. They will of course be faced with all the usual range of human emotions but the chance to see them through. They are better off together.

kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

It is a complete nightmare. im finding today tough to get through.  I hope people on here don’t mind my  letting off a bit of steam.  Strangely it’s easier to do.

In reply to Derry:

I much admire your positive outlook. Likewise I am feeling reasonably happy myself. I have a big house with a garden, lots of projects to do and spring is coming. 

However, this lockdown is likely to last until June 28th according to Scotland's CMO. After which, there will only be a slow gradual return to normality. Indeed for many people with health issues, it may not reurn to normality until well into 2021.

This is going to be a long slog. To make a mountaineering analogy, we have indeed left base camp. The summit is still some way off. And the descent can be the trickiest part of all. 

But, your post is cheery and mine is less so. So, more likes and best wishes to you. 

TS Eliot The Four Quartets ' Humankind cannot bear too much reality'. 

I am off to do some gardening..... 

kipper12 29 Mar 2020

It is a complete nightmare. im finding today tough to get through, at least it’s half over now.  I hope people on here don’t mind my  letting off a bit of steam.  Strangely it’s easier to do on here.

Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Though we've never met I'm thinking of you and hope you'll be in a better place before too long.

kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Many thanks for the support 

Phil1919 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Heartinthe highlands:

There won't be any weeds in my garden by June 28th.

Derek Boocock 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

I'm an ex-pat living in the Netherlands. Since lockdown it's been tough, but I'm using the time to prepare for returning to climbing:

I have a home multi-gym, so I'm doing some (climbing specific) weight training and 10 minutes of specific ab exercises every day.

It looks like it's going to be a while before we get back to the climbing wall and outside, so I've just ordered a rowing machine.

My hope is to lose the 5 kg hung around my waist (already seeing nice gains) and be in the best possible shape when I can eventually climb again.

Andy Gamisou 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Daren't suggest to my wife that I might be enjoying lockdown - she had to put in a double shift yesterday (7:00 to 21:00), then is on another today (but with 1 hour less sleep), then she's on nights from tomorrow evening.  I think she'd be delighted to swap with anyone here (me included - actually, especially me).  As an extra kick in the guts it isn't entirely clear when/if she might get paid again.

In reply to Derry:

Looks like hold and hang board manufacturers are enjoying lockdown. Highly extended delivery times on Crusher, HardwoodHolds and Beastmaker. The home wall hold business seems to be booming. 

OP Derry 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

> It is a complete nightmare. im finding today tough to get through, at least it’s half over now.  I hope people on here don’t mind my  letting off a bit of steam.  Strangely it’s easier to do on here.

Absolutely fine. If it helps, vent vent vent!

Davidlees215 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Fine for me as I've been put on 80% pay with no work. Beats my usual 60 hour weeks and it's not like there's anything to spend money on. Normally there's only Sunday I'm off with the mrs and most of those days are taken up bringing the 5 year old to kids parties. 

Can't leave the house for another week as the baby had a cough but still great having family time that I usually struggle to find time for.  

Fairly sure it's going to drive me insane if this goes on for months though. 

balmybaldwin 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Gwibble!

oldie 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

> Anyone else seeing personal positives of forced enclosure? <

We may have an answer from the population as a whole in nine months if there is a baby boom. Possibly exacerbated by overstocking on booze and less shopping trips to chemists. 

krikoman 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

>  After each day I feel knackered.

fatigue is one of the first signs

Miss my mates and the pub, actually my mates in the pub, and climbing.

wildebeeste 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Apart from the background weirdness, yes. We’re very fortunate- both have job security, always keep a full pantry, 5 acres and 2 awesome dogs. Wife’s second job finished early, together with curtailed rec opportunities we’ve had more unpressurized quality time in the last couple of weeks than in the previous year. Still working (48 on 96 off) but staying home between shifts. Got a kickstart on jobs around the place I’ve been putting  off forever- thinning trees, built a composter and a raised bed. Doing a lot of Duolingo. Fussing the dogs. Speaking more to distant friends and family.

Punctuated with intermittent bouts of panic and doom 😀

Post edited at 17:24
 kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to krikoman:

I’ve already planned my visit to the lion in Liverpool when we get parole.  Good beer, and a limited range of food; pork pies and crisps.

wercat 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I'd like to visit the snow leopards in the South Lakeland Wildlife place!   Did a high 5 with one last time through the roof of the perspex tunnel it was lying on

Post edited at 17:47
 kipper12 29 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

Best not tried without the Perspex 

Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020
In reply to wercat:

> I'd like to visit the snow leopards in the South Lakeland Wildlife place!   Did a high 5 with one last time through the roof of the perspex tunnel it was lying on

Aren't they the most beautiful creatures? A friend of Mrs Wilko set up the zoo with her husband. Not sure how they're getting on without any customers. Hope they can still look after all the animals.

olddirtydoggy 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

We're finding things are changing as the days roll by. Day 1-4 we got a load of stuff done on the house so great. 3 days ago we dust of the bikes and pack away the climbing rack and get our hour a day spinning pedals. Today is a change, we are starting to get bored. With over 2 weeks to go until a review where I'm guessing the lockdown will continue..... well.

Post edited at 20:45
 Timmd 29 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy: I'm trying to wait until 2 or 3 months in before I allow myself to be think 'I'm bored now' - time will tell.

I've got my garden to sort, and distance learning, and my cellar to sort, and my spare/studying room. In living alone, I think it's the move away from face to face social contact which will tell in the end.

Prisoners in the US can be pot in solitary for 90 days, though, comparatively there's a lot at hand for mind stimulation and there's some forms of social contact out there, much more than 3 months 'in the hole'.

Post edited at 21:13
 elliot.baker 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

We’re also enjoying it and finding that it’s taken all the pressure away to squeeze in trips to family and friends 1-2hrs away that we normally have to do every weekend. We have a lot more time for each other and enjoying spending time with our 1yo and really seeing him develop more quickly. We’re both still working (from home) so are having to work later into the evenings and nights to make up for lost time looking after child in the day which is a downside. 

Enjoying our one family walk or my run each day too - no doubt this has been much better because of the weather. 

I can absolutely see that whether you’re enjoying or hating this will be massively dependent on your circumstances and who you live with - as they’re the only people you can see!

Blue Straggler 29 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

> I hope people on here don’t mind my letting off a bit of steam.  Strangely it’s easier to do on here.

Not at all, we all do it lots and from your posts on this thread you really do need it. I hadn’t thought about what it might be like housesharing/lodging as opposed to living with partner/family 

wintertree 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

It's been a bit of a realisation - actually if this was all my life was, I'd be perfectly happy.  The difficulty will be making sufficient money at the same time.

jkarran 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

I feel for the folk who have it bad and I know for some this will be bloody awful. 

That said, I'm coping fine, a bit worried about the coming birth of my daughter, missing my local pub and my glider but I'm still seeing folk a bit across the garden and in touch over the phone. I still have my job. I have my wife and dog for company. I'm getting loads done on the house and getting ready for a summer growing food. Life is slow and quiet, how I like it. 

Jk

HansStuttgart 29 Mar 2020
In reply to oldie:

> We may have an answer from the population as a whole in nine months if there is a baby boom. Possibly exacerbated by overstocking on booze and less shopping trips to chemists. 

"There'll be a baby boom in nine months, but consisting entirely of firstborns"

wercat 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

yes, they can definitely inherit the earth if we all kill ourselves

Deadeye 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

It's strange.  I feel like I spent much of the last 30 years in meetings.  At the end of the day I was so tired of talking to people that I needed the commute home to readjust. It left me with an enduring instinst to seek solitude (which is a bit unfair to my family).

So the current crisis has been ok - viewed narrowly as a question of how I spend time.  I have loads of projects queued up.  The quibbles about not being able to climb, or get gardening supplies, are trivial in broader context.

Not being able to see my son any time soon is tough - but I recognise that it's for the greater good.

So, yes, I am enjoying t in the sense of appreciating the removal of any expextation of interaction.

Timmd 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Not at all, we all do it lots and from your posts on this thread you really do need it. I hadn’t thought about what it might be like housesharing/lodging as opposed to living with partner/family 

I think I'll end up eating more dark chocolate than I was trying to keep it at, before lock down, as a way of giving myself a boost while only having a handful friendly local shop keepers to chat to in person, the ones who seem to have decided I'm alright. 

Post edited at 23:32
 mondite 29 Mar 2020
In reply to oldie:

>  Possibly exacerbated by overstocking on booze and less shopping trips to chemists. 

With the added factor the largest manufacturer of condoms has shut down its factories in Malaysia. Given the other main sources are India and China they may become as rare as toilet rolls.

Duncan Bourne 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Derry:

Certainly enjoying it so far. Lots to do. Reading, writing, playing music, keep fit, making daft videos

Euge 30 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

That sounds rough, some of the things you are dealing with would be tough at the best of times.

I know it's easy to say, but try and remain positive and safe. This will come to an end sometime.

Take care

Euge

kipper12 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Euge:

Cheeers, today is a better day.  I simply need my own home, which is within touching distance.  The snag is getting a surveyor out.

I’m dreading an extension or further restrictions though.  

ianstevens 30 Mar 2020

> I've never found that a bad thing, so I suppose it depends on the individual, as I've worked mostly from home for well over 5 years now.  I find I drag the day out somewhat - for instance a 2 hour lunch break for a run, shower then a leisurely cooked lunch isn't a problem (provided I've got no meetings) because I just work another hour on the end of the day instead.  Or if I'm really stuck on something I can have a decent long break, and if I genuinely feel like getting something done at 10pm I can do.

> That won't suit everyone but it is a different mindset, other than that I don't start before 9am as I'm not a morning person (unless I have an early meeting which is rare) I find trying to stick to a regimented 9-5:30 day (or whatever) doesn't work well for me when WFH.

> This however does probably work better for a single person than a family person.  And it depends very much on how much pressure your work puts on you - if you have a poor work-life balance or an overbearing manager it really won't work for you, fortunately for me those things are fine, our company has good management and things are not pressured except for brief periods when they need to be.

I live alone so fit into the single person category there. Sadly I don't have the space to have a separate home office from the rest of my living space, and my work is often very unstructured in the sense that I have tasks to complete by specific deadlines but those are generally over multi-week periods. Whilst I do like the idea of being able to go out and do something in the day, I live in a very urban area and the inability to drive to nicer, quite spots greatly reduces the appeal of a midday cycle or bike! I suspect it's not just WFH that I'm hating, more just a general cancellation of everything I enjoy.  

Blue Straggler 30 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

> I live alone so fit into the single person category there. Sadly I don't have the space to have a separate home office from the rest of my living space

That would be tough. I live alone and have done for many years, and I have always had the opportunity to create a "home office" but for many reasons (mainly that I am a messy slovenly slob, but other reasons too, e.g. trying to keep work for workplace and work hours) I never really bothered.
This has forced me to create a decent home work space, all on a big desk so when work stops, I can shut the laptop lid and slide the external keyboard under the monitor stand. 
It's worked quite nicely because even in non-crisis times, there are plenty of opportunities for me to work from home and I've never taken them, but now that I see that I CAN, hopefully I will. Saving time and fuel etc. 

The downside is that there isn't that much for me to do at the moment. Admin tasks which I am rationing and expanding (by doing in "slow motion") to fill the days.

Today is a bit annoying as I am exhibiting classic hay fever symptoms brought on by a blitz of tidying up and sorting through old old stuff yesterday, which has kicked up a lot of old dust. So I have watering eyes and a streaming nose and sneezing fits, meaning I can't really go out as I'll be mistaken for a "spreader" who should be in isolation!

deepsoup 30 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:  (and kipper12)

>  and the inability to drive to nicer, quite spots greatly reduces the appeal ..

Despite endless wrangling and debate in other threads (and more than a little sanctimonious moralising) I would say it's not at all clear that you can't do that.  If you can do it without upsetting anyone, maybe you should*.  Don't go further than you need to, don't visit the village shop (or the village), keep schtum on social media generally, and don't talk about it on here**.

* - I honestly expected that's what I would be doing by now.  I had a few ideas for good spots to aim for, but have been surprised to find that I have more, and more pleasant, green space close to home than I ever realised and don't need to.  (Consequently I have no idea how good my ideas were in retrospect.  Fairly obviously if you were to drive to somewhere and find other cars already there it would be daft to stop and park with them.)

** - I wouldn't want to derail this thread with the same debate that's already been thrashed out at great length in several others, so won't bother responding to anyone who wants to tell me (again) on this one how wrong I am about this, so maybe just give me a 'dislike' instead and save everyone the bother.

deepsoup 30 Mar 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> So I have watering eyes and a streaming nose and sneezing fits, meaning I can't really go out as I'll be mistaken for a "spreader" who should be in isolation!

Not Covid symptoms apparently, but who's going to worry about a little thing like that while they've got a torch lit and their pitchfork nice and sharp?  (Mind you - if you had the virus asymptomatically, I don't suppose it would care if it's not the cause of a sneeze and would hitch a ride just the same.)

We are just coming in to sexy fun times for trees, I feel for anyone who gets full-on hayfever right now.

Blue Straggler 30 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

There is a "Pollen or Plague? JUSTIFY your sneeze" fun meme going around

ianstevens 30 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> (and kipper12)

> >  and the inability to drive to nicer, quite spots greatly reduces the appeal ..

> Despite endless wrangling and debate in other threads (and more than a little sanctimonious moralising) I would say it's not at all clear that you can't do that.  If you can do it without upsetting anyone, maybe you should*.  Don't go further than you need to, don't visit the village shop (or the village), keep schtum on social media generally, and don't talk about it on here**.

Yeah I'm getting close to that, especially after actually reading the legislation. I can think of some nice quiet places within an hour from my house were I could go for a boulder/park up to go for a good cycle. Problem is that 1) my fuel tank is nearly empty so I'd need to go to and fuel up; and b) I live in a city so would need to get out. Not sure if roadblocks are being used round here, and really can't be bothered arguing with a copper on a power trip and/or ultimately having the same argument in court. Agree with both your sentiments below for sure. 

There is some grubby urban bouldering within walking distance. I'm going to go and have a look this evening at how feasible a session there is without being seen.

> * - I honestly expected that's what I would be doing by now.  I had a few ideas for good spots to aim for, but have been surprised to find that I have more, and more pleasant, green space close to home than I ever realised and don't need to.  (Consequently I have no idea how good my ideas were in retrospect.  Fairly obviously if you were to drive to somewhere and find other cars already there it would be daft to stop and park with them.)

> ** - I wouldn't want to derail this thread with the same debate that's already been thrashed out at great length in several others, so won't bother responding to anyone who wants to tell me (again) on this one how wrong I am about this, so maybe just give me a 'dislike' instead and save everyone the bother.

Post edited at 17:27
 Rog Wilko 30 Mar 2020
In reply to kipper12:

> Cheeers, today is a better day.  I simply need my own home, which is within touching distance.  The snag is getting a surveyor out.

Hey, good luck with that. Your own home will work wonders for your mental state.

> I’m dreading an extension or further restrictions though.  

You're not alone on that one, for sure.

deepsoup 30 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

I know I said it was controversial, but as far as bouldering goes it probably isn't tbh.  I'd have to side with the nay-sayers on that one,clearly is out of bounds I'm afraid.

As is arguing with a copper if you're stopped - I mean, that rarely works at the best of times and they've reason enough to be a bit more stressed than usual at the mo.  Besides, running into a road block would be a sure sign you'd made a really bad decision so you'd have to be proper daft to do anything other than nod, smile, apologise and turn around.

Dave the Rave 30 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Not that I’m intending breaking the rules, but how do you address a special officer with blue on their backs? Are they Plofficers, mates or sirs/ madams? 

ianstevens 30 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah don’t worry, I won’t actually be going bouldering, more just a pipe dream.

My thoughts re: road blocks was that it would seem sensible to place them on the edge of cities which would prevent me getting out. No benefit to driving within one!

deepsoup 30 Mar 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

You don't need to leave the city necessarily if you're just looking for a better place to start for a quick ride out than from home.  Daft idea possibly - is there a big supermarket on the edge of town that would be a logical place to go get some shopping?  Maybe you could combine that with a ride starting and finishing in the far corner of their car park?  You'd need to be a bit careful not to over-stay now that supermarket car parks all have contracts with parking ticket vampires, but that shouldn't be a problem for an hour's blast on the bike.

ianstevens 31 Mar 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah I see what you’re getting at now - I’m sure some essential shopping could be combined with a better start point chopping 5-10km of urban out in each direction! Thanks for the suggestion. Part of the issue here too is that I only moved here about 6 months ago and haven’t done much cycling (I hate cycling in the winter) for leisure purposes yet, and therefore don’t really know the best routes. Also a large transition for me, where I was previously had excellent to access to very rural roads with proper hills - no such luck here sadly! 

anon 05 Apr 2020
In reply to kipper12: I’m absolutely hating it! I live in a 2 floor flat in a scummy area and the neighbours have no respect or consideration at all, with all the banging, shouting, doors slamming, thumping, music etc, these people you cannot approach to talk to either they are the rough druggie types.
I don’t want anybody to take this the wrong way but you guys who have a house in peaceful areas don’t know how lucky you are in this current situation. This is an absolute nightmare for me and I’m seriously concerned how I’m going to be able to deal with this for a few months (I also have anxiety) as we all know this isn’t going to be over quickly. 
I’m trying hard to save so I can move but it’s tough and I’ve even had my car damaged living round here multiple times which has cost money to fix, I’m honestly losing the will to live.

I was searching for a forum on if anybody else has found it tough with neighbours/area during this lockdown and found this post, I read the thread and registered as I really needed to let some steam off and hopefully talk to some people hope that’s ok.

I’m hoping things will change for me someday, I really need a break in life.

Post edited at 18:27
 sheelba 05 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

I effectively self-isolate myself by choice on a fairly regular basis. While I can’t offer much to those living in difficult situations, I live out in the country, I’ve wrote about my experiences here if anyone is interested. Might be of use to some https://isitanexpedition.wordpress.com/2020/04/02/lockdown-and-liberation-w...

OP Derry 05 Apr 2020
In reply to anon:

You may want to start your own thread - struggling with lockdown or something like that. You might get more constructive replies than the people have put in here, especially if just scanning the topic titles.
And, in no way trying to rub it in - I do realise how lucky I have it. I keep thinking about those in abusive relationships, or cut off from their loved ones, or those in your situation. If it helps, feel free to offload. Plenty of people here to sympathise or share similar struggles. 

felt 06 Apr 2020
In reply to sheelba:

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

That Pascal quote: "without business", I think.

andrew breckill 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

yes, I am OK and kinda enjoying it at the moment, catching up on some neglected research for my M.A. that and getting paid for not working. On the downside, all the private pension contributions I have made in the last 20 years have (hopefully temporally) evaporated. Also, as others have mentioned, I have thought about stuff I have not given any thought to, about what we consume and the cost of it in the wider picture of sustainability etc. I am hoping many of us are, and that a positive and meaningful outcome will be had for our future. A bit vague I know but it will mean different things to each of us.

The New NickB 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

I'm still working full time from home, although later in the week I will be redeployed a couple of half days a weeks to support vulnerable people with food deliveries and collecting prescriptions. My wife is out at work all day, NHS but not quite on the Coronavirus front line. We are also supporting self isolated family members (4 over 70s, plus my 18 year old stepdaughter who has a complex medical history). So, we haven't got a huge amount of extra time.

I am cooking more, which I am enjoying, life seems simpler, which I am also enjoying. The uncertainty is the killer as far as I am concerned. Another month of this, I would be quite happy, the unknown position of where we might be in May and June or even longer is difficult to deal with. Obviously the stress of vulnerable loved ones isnt great. I'm also missing people, I'm pretty sociable and I am really missing being in the company of friends, technological solutions are not the same.

Toccata 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

Initially not really as work has been rather intense. However with us limited to emergency procedures now I got a day at home. Spent a lovely few hours down by the river with the children, building dams and making rafts. It was wonderful to see how they’ve bonded. Back to the melting pot tomorrow though.

staticx 07 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

I actually do enjoy it, started doing things that I put on hold ages ago. For example trying to learn new recipes. My cooking abilities need a serious upgrade.

rebeccarmyc 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

As much as I miss the great outdoors - and I'd only just got back into a great training regime after a long time off climbing - I'll go one step further and say I'm thriving in the imposed lockdown. 

WFH has meant increased work productivity; I normally work in an open plan office yet my work requires deep concentration, with little need to be present in person, so office life is actually distraction as much as I really like my colleagues. I have more free time as I can use time more effectively e.g can do chores during my lunch break whereas before half my weekends would be dedicated to home tasks etc accumulated over the week. There is much more time to exercise and length of travel time is no longer an excuse to avoid the gym. No in person events to attend means less pressure to choose to between prioritising socialising or personal goals - online now being the socially accepted norm to connect means I now have enough time to be a good friend and do my own things. Everyone is communicating much more than usual and I've heard from people I normally don't hear from in months.  

But I am fortunate to have the kind of job that transfers well to the online space, and friends and family are so far well (I have medics in the family and their welfare during this crisis is what keeps me awake at night). I've also just got through a pretty dramatic past year, so simply having a proper bed and time to contemplate life is bliss right now. The mountains will wait. 

I hope that the one good thing that might come out of this terrible situation - which I hope for everyone else's mental well being ends soon - is that WFH will be embraced much more as the norm. I can't see things going back to the way they used to be, now there is likely to be large scale proof that working from home might actually be better for some businesses.  

Post edited at 00:30
 Blue Straggler 09 Apr 2020
In reply to rebeccarmyc:

A very good post. Maybe easy for me to say as I too I am doing fairly well on WFH in the short term and as you acknowledge, it is simply not possible for some. But your descriptions are succinct and that is what I mean to praise 

elsewhere 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

With birdsong and without traffic noise it feels like I'm on  holiday in the countryside

Moley 09 Apr 2020
In reply to Derry:

I am feeling a little guilty about being fine when there is so much suffering about, nothing to complain about and very much enjoying the peace and quiet.

We cooked dinner on the bonfire last night, first time this year, do the same tonight and we plan to sleep out in the garden. I go out every single day walking, running or biking on the hills and never see anyone, plenty of jobs about the place still, no mention of the virus anywhere near us.

That's about it, sure we can have a little whinge about things but they are only inconveniences compared to most. Yes, we do feel a little guilty about it, but I suppose the unexpected benefit of choosing to live deep out in the countryside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...