Any small animal vets in the house

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 11 Sep 2019

Took our 7-year old female rescue greyhound to the vets yesterday, as she has a visible lump in the inside of her knee.  We noticed this about 10-14 days ago, and it has grown over this time and gone from to pink to pink with a reddish centre, its around 1 cm in dia. 

Her first reaction was a mast cell tumour, but could be a cyst.  You can feel under the lump so it doesn't appear to be anchored to connective tissue.  We have her booked in on Friday for a needle biopsy under sedation as she is a typical greyhound - prim donna!

My question for any vets is why bother waiting 5-days for biopsy results, why not simply go for the surgical removal on Friday and send the whole thing for histopath.  This way we save a week.  The only thing I can come up with mild sedation for biopsy vs major anaesthesia for lump removal which may be unnecessary.

Many thanks, this is a worrying time for us.

graeme jackson 11 Sep 2019
In reply to kipper12:

> My question for any vets is why bother waiting 5-days for biopsy results, why not simply go for the surgical removal on Friday and send the whole thing for histopath.  This way we save a week. 

A cynic might suggest it's because they can charge twice.

monkey man 11 Sep 2019
In reply to kipper12:

there are many reasons for doing it the way they suggest, they are doing the right thing - you should be glad for this. if you remove a mast cell tumour in that region incompletely, or without proper planning you could easily be in a big mess... best to know what you are dealing with.

OP kipper12 11 Sep 2019
In reply to monkey man:

Thanks for the reassurance

In reply to kipper12:

If it's a cyst you might be able to leave it, or at least just remove it with 1mm margins. If it's a MCT you might, depending on grade, need several cm margins which would require flaps/grafts. Far better to know what you're dealing with in advance, and a few days delay isn't a problem. 

SouthernSteve 11 Sep 2019
In reply to kipper12:

The surgical margins are completely different depending on the tumour type found.

OP kipper12 11 Sep 2019
In reply to kipper12:

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies.  I’ll keep folk posted.  Certainly worrying for us.

Le Sapeur 11 Sep 2019
In reply to kipper12:

My dog is 12 and he is amassing a fine collection of lumps. He's been to the vet a few times and they are all benign. Most dog lumps are. 7 is quite young so probably just cysts. Fingers crossed.

Dr.S at work 11 Sep 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

An optomist might say isnt it good that the OP has a dog not a person.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/treatment/a...

OP kipper12 12 Sep 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

Thanks 😀🐕

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...