Any one ever played Bowls? Awesome skill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neilh 24 Jan 2020

I know this clip is doing the rounds on social media and it is impressive. How the hell did he do this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/51207174

Max factor 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

: 0

In reply to neilh:

That is a brilliant shot, near perfect.

I'm sure he is very skilled, but I imagine he played a lot of not so perfect bowls during the macth that didn't get picked up on social media.

Sorry, not meaning to belittle his skill, but by the law of averages a skilled participant of any sport will occassionally have a moment of near perfection. 

OP neilh 24 Jan 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

I agree, still awesome though.......from I think 25 metres.

Hat Dude 24 Jan 2020
In reply to mountain.martin:

> Sorry, not meaning to belittle his skill, but by the law of averages a skilled participant of any sport will occassionally have a moment of near perfection. 

And as Gary player said "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

In reply to neilh:

A french man once threw a boules ball at my head when I was about 7-8 .

Didn't half hurt .  

Might explain a few things too.

;-D

nikoid 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

Climbers watching bowls, whatever next! Good shot though.

subtle 24 Jan 2020
In reply to nikoid:

> Climbers watching bowls, whatever next! Good shot though.

Dont be daft, there's no climbers on here

Cracking shot, some amount of skill to get that shot!

McHeath 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

I only tried it once, and loved it!

Your link's unfortunately not available here in Germany, but I found this on YouTube :

youtube.com/watch?v=e4ohG2I0NA8&

Amazing! 

Tom Valentine 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

I play quite a lot but don't claim to be much good. What I will say is that ends like that are not all that rare,  even if not exactly commonplace.

It's a brilliant game and a crying shame that younger people have a sort of prejudice against it which doesn't seem to exist in their attitudes towards , say, darts or snooker.

Like rugby, there are different variants of the game with the equivalent of rugby league  being crown green bowling, played on a slightly convex green and more practised in the north.

Post edited at 14:05
cb294 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

The best game of bowls I ever saw was a lawn bowls match some time in 2000 or 2001: Two elderly professors, only mildy drunk, laying waste to the courtyard of Pembroke college in Cambridge. Flower beds, flower pots, everything that could not get out of way in a hurry wast mercilessly flattened...

CB

nniff 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

We used to play at University as a de-stresser during exams.  The bowling green was just over the road and it was very therapeutic

LastBoyScout 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

Nicely done.

But can he land it on a fag paper? Cue one of my favourite films...:  youtube.com/watch?v=pq3hS0nFvOU&

Dax H 24 Jan 2020

> It's a brilliant game and a crying shame that younger people have a sort of prejudice against it which doesn't seem to exist in their attitudes towards , say, darts or snooker.

I looked at bowling last year and contacted the South Leeds bowling club to see if they ever did any try it events like just about every other sport and club in the world has.

The answer was not but I was welcome to come to one of their sessions on a Monday or a Wednesday between 1300 and 1500.

In other words if your not retired forget it. 

Duncan Bourne 24 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

Excellent!

Slackboot 25 Jan 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I love that film (Blackball). Based on a true story too. Flat green bowling is hard enough but what about Crown green bowling? not only are you contending with the bowls bias but you are doing it while playing on a hill.

krikoman 25 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

I played when I was about 18 years old, so a long time ago, and not very often, you're right harder than it looks. Mind you we were outside, none of this namby pamby indoors stuff.

Tom Valentine 25 Jan 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Yes I suppose crown green equates to trad climbing, flat green to sport climbing and indoors - well, indoors.......

Slackboot 25 Jan 2020
In reply to neilh:

I used to play bowls when I was a kid as some of my family were bowlers. The pit villages in Northumberland and Durham all had immaculate greens. You were not allowed anywhere near unless you were playing and of course you had to wear flat bowling shoes. The bowls were often made from Lignum Vitae in those days. Its all plastic composites now. A lot of the bowling greens disappeared when the mines closed. 

The very small pit village I grew up in had in addition to a bowling green:-  a lawn tennis court, a clay tennis court, a football pitch, a cricket pitch, a cinema, and snooker tables at the Miners Institute. All maintained an run by the miners and their families. There are no facilities at all now.

Post edited at 19:04
 subtle 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

>   The very small pit village I grew up in had in addition to a bowling green:-  a lawn tennis court, a clay tennis court, a football pitch, a cricket pitch, a cinema, and snooker tables at the Miners Institute. All maintained an run by the miners and their families. There are no facilities at all now.

Ah, the Miners Institute, that takes me back - not many left surviving I fear- happy days, and nights 👍 

Timmd 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Slackboot:

You've just increased my appreciation of the grass bowling green at my local northern Social Club, where it generally seems to be blokes sitting round in the bar, chatting and drinking and pondering life. 

Post edited at 23:59
 Timmd 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Timmd:

> You've just increased my appreciation of the grass bowling green at my local northern Social Club, where it generally seems to be blokes sitting round in the bar, chatting and drinking and pondering life. 

As opposed to females, I'm sure the blokes there do other things too.

Tom Valentine 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Timmd:

Get chatting and have a roll, you might get hooked.It will only take  a few goes to decide what size woods suit you best (2 lb 8oz standard for a man)

Timmd 27 Jan 2020

> Get chatting and have a roll, you might get hooked.It will only take  a few goes to decide what size woods suit you best (2 lb 8oz standard for a man)

I almost think that when I need to lean on my upper leg to reach down to the floor is when I'll think about taking up bowls.

It's clearly part of a community hub though, which is from where my appreciation stems, I've seen them playing during the summer...

Post edited at 12:30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...