Any IT Network jedi in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 10 Dec 2018

I have a Synology NAS box connected to my home router, no great shakes there.  However every time I do a Windows 10 update and restart my computer then I lose sight of the Synology NAS box.  The NAS can no longer be seen in the Windows Explorer Network section.

After a bit of googling I then have to go into the:

Control Panel,

Programmes and Features,

Turn on Windows features on or off,

And then put a tick beside SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support

Once I do this, then all is good in the world.  Last night I read somewhere on Mr Google that SMB 1 has security flaws and this is why Windows 10 keeps turning it off with every software update.  Is this correct?

If SMB1 is not safe then how NOT Safe is this and what should I be doing so that I can see my Network files?

Cheers

tehmarks 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

If your home network is hidden behind a NAT router (which it sounds like it is), then as long as you haven't forwarded ports or exposed any of your devices to the world through the DMZ nothing on the outside will be able to see the device or take advantage of it. Excluding exploiting known flaws with the router that is, or hacking your WiFi.

I wouldn't be concerned.

Snyggapa 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

can you get a firmware update for the NAS box to support higher versions of SMB?

rka 10 Dec 2018
In reply to The Lemming:

Use powerhell (run as administrator)

You will need to allow scripts to run use: Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

To set protocol use: Set-SmbServerConfiguration -EnableSMB2Protocol $true"

You can create a PS script say c:tempenableSMB2.ps1 with command in it.

The use file explorer to navigate to:  shell:startup

Place a shortcut to c:<back-slash>temp<back-slash>enableSMB2.ps1 there and it will run at every startup.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/smbshare/set-smbserverco...

Post edited at 15:12
OP The Lemming 10 Dec 2018
In reply to rka:

I will try my best however this is way over my pay-grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...