Any Google Pixel users out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ardo 07 Mar 2019

My existing Google phone is giving up the ghost, so looking to replace with one of the Pixel phones and wondering what everyday users thinks.

Is the 3 worth the extra 200 quid? Quirks, genius, save the money and get a Nokia 3210…

Post edited at 21:50
 Birks 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

Can't comment on the 3 but very happy with the 2 if you are looking for a cheaper option. The camera is fantastic, battery life is supposedly longer vs iPhone and happy with the usability. 

Neil Williams 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

If you can put up with a big phone, go OnePlus.  I find the Pixel phones good but *extremely* overpriced for an Android phone.

climber34neil 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I've got pixel 1 XL, had it for 2 years, it's great, no problems at all with it, great camera, will now probably stick to the pixel range over anything else

OP Ardo 08 Mar 2019
In reply to all:

Thanks for replies. Time to check the piggy bank and make a decision. Leaning towards the pixel 2, though will look into the OnePlus as well, (or struggle on and buy some climbing kit!).

In reply to Ardo:

I've had the Pixel 1 since launch. It's still going strong and is the best phone I've ever had. The camera in the Pixel 2 and 3 must been quite something if it's even better than this one.

The Lemming 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I was looking at the 2 and 3 last night on the Google Play and got confused because it seemed that the newer phone was cheaper.

My Nexus phone is still working flawlessly so I can't justify spending a fortune on a new toy.

But I want/need a Pixel phone.

Kermi 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

V.happy with my Pixel 2. Good camera, waterproof, free storage of photos for about 3-4 years on Google Photos in original quality. It's nice to have the vanilla Android operating system. An 'unimportant' feature I like is the 'ambient' display. This leaves the time, date, weather/temp, battery percentage on the screen, as well as any configured notifications when it is locked. You can turn this off if you wish but it doesn't adversely affect the battery life. I also like that you can use the power and volume buttons to take photos when the phone is locked, very useful when you have gloves on or only one hand available. The fingerprint sensor on the rear in the centre also helps with one-handed operation.

Neil Williams 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Kermi:

Ambient display and a key combination to use the camera are standard Android features in the latest version, for what it's worth.

Lord_ash2000 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I've got the original pixel and I've have had it over 18 months now.  It's still going strong although the battery is now starting to go a bit crappy in cold weather, but that's after 18 months of heavy use..

I'm sure others have caught up now but when I first got it my IPhone using friends were blown away by the video and photo quality. 

It's still fast and can deal with all the latest apps etc, never made a dent in the 128gb storage. Would recommend if you're looking at a high end android.

In reply to Ardo:

I have a pixel .

Finger print sensor and the latest versions of Android and a brilliant camera make the experience the best phone I've ever had . 

I'll be upgrading to a new pixel for summer.

TWS

snoop6060 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I have the 2 and it works well. Seems to have survived about 10 drops onto various surfaces as well. I have an unmatched track record of smashing phone screens so it must be fairly robust.

Jamie Wakeham 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I've not bought a new phone for years now - when I need to replace one, I just pick up a used version of whatever the just-superceded model happens to be - it'll be almost new and ridiculously cheap. My current phone is a Pixel 1, and it's going strong. Unless its battery suddenly craps out I reckon it's got a couple of years to go yet. The camera is astonishing. 

Like others I always go for Google's offering because they get Android updates much sooner (and, I think, for longer too?) and have zero bloatware.

CEX have the Pixel 2 for ~£250 and the Pixel 1 for half that. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Unless you are an astoundingly demanding user you won't need the 3.

OP Ardo 08 Mar 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

You're not wrong, 3 is cheaper than the 2 from Google!

Plumped for the 2, as picked it up for £400 from Argos, though will have to cope with the embarrassment of not having a black phone .

The Lemming 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

That's interesting because you can't buy a Pixel 2 from the Google Store.

OP Ardo 08 Mar 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

I've read that they may be bringing out a Pixel 3 'lite', so could have cleared stock pending this release.

Post edited at 16:32
 The Lemming 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

This may be my next phone.

Kevster 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I've had a pixel for over 18 months now (I think, maybe 2 years?) And it is still quick enough,  battery lasting still, and I don't feel outdated. 

It has a basic rear cover,  no front screen protector and only one minor scratch that you have to angle the light on the screen to see. It's in my pocket all a day every day. I work on building sites, dropped it quite often. 

I'm quite pleased.  Better than the Samsung I had before imo. 

OP Ardo 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Kevster:

Good to hear more thumbs up for the Pixel.

Got my Pixel 2 and now just have to wait for new Giffgaff SIM, as it takes a nano-sim! Hashtag sad face emoji.

Luke90 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

If you're impatient and willing to take a small risk with your current SIM, you can actually just chop larger cards down to nano size.

OP Ardo 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Luke90:

And risk being without a phone for 3 to 4 days?!?! Hmmm, peace and quiet for 3 to 4 days, I may just give it a go.

In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Finger print sensor

I think that's my only gripe When I'm climbing 3 to 4 times a week it hardly ever works. I've defaulted to always using the code to unlock. Not really the phones fault I have low definition finger prints but thumb scanners seem to work better for me.

Not exactly a major hassle though.

The Lemming 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> I think that's my only gripe When I'm climbing 3 to 4 times a week it hardly ever works.

Isn't that a good thing, knowing that be the finger print scanner actually does its job?

Doing any DiY usually buggers my fingerprints for days, but then I only have my two index fingers recorded.

Don't want to give Google all my fingers for their big data Hoover.

Luke90 10 Mar 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

> Don't want to give Google all my fingers for their big data Hoover.

I've been talking up how much data Google slurp up recently but I don't think they actually collect fingerprints. In fact, as I understand it, the fingerprint data held on the phone couldn't even be used to recreate your fingerprint. I think they use an irreversible process similar to how passwords are stored.

In reply to The Lemming:

My point was, I'd prefer a thumb scanner over a finger one. Unlocking the pixel with a thumb isn't really practical vs the speed of unlocking with a swipe code.

As I said tho, pretty minor gripe and only really a problem if you climb a lot.

The Lemming 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> My point was, I'd prefer a thumb scanner over a finger one. Unlocking the pixel with a thumb isn't really practical vs the speed of unlocking with a swipe code.

I'm a bit confused there, however I own a Nexus 5X rather than a Pixel. With my phone, the scanner is on the back of the phone and in such a position that my index finger rest's i#on it while I pick the phone up. By the time I turn the phone round to look at the screen, its opened. The same goes for when I take the phone out of my pocket.

I've just got used to a scanner on the back of my phone, which in incredibly fast and convenient to unlock my phone.

Luke90 12 Mar 2019
In reply to The Lemming:

> I've just got used to a scanner on the back of my phone, which in incredibly fast and convenient to unlock my phone.

I prefer the scanner on the front because

a) I find thumbprints more reliable than fingerprints (probably because my fingers get more hammered by climbing, as discussed by others above)

b) I can still use it when it's lying on a desk or table

steelbru 12 Mar 2019
In reply to Ardo:

I went for a Pixel 2 at the weekend - all good so far.

I saw the Argos deal at £399, and I was on £8/month SIM only, so worked out that over 2 years that would cost £591
Got a £22/month deal over 2 years with no upfront cost ( 4Gb, unlimited calls and texts ) which will cost £528, plus a £40 cashback deal, so £488 in total. Will switch to a SIM only deal after the 2 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...