Any app coders out there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 04 Jan 2021

Right, bear with me.

An old trigpointing app (on Android) has  become a bit outdated by modern phones. Ultimately, the 3 dot menu icon for the app used to appear on the lower menu bar when the app was running. It is no longer there on some current phones.

Is that an easy thing to update and make work again on modern android phones?

Andy Gamisou 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Frankie boy:

Are you saying you have the source code and want it ported to support more recent Android versions?

OP Frankie boy 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

I don't physically own the source code. I presume if it was to be updated it would have to come from the original developer. I'm guessing it may just need porting to more modern android but I know nothing about this stuff. It seems some users have had it work on various modern phones to varying degrees of success, the main issue bring the menu button not being on the menu bar. To put it into perspective, I have a 2017 Huawei phone and it works fine. It seems the current Samsung and honor phones (and possibly more) are having less success.

In reply to Frankie boy:

Have you contacted the developer to ask if they are aware of the issues to see if they are able/inclined to try to resolve it? 

In reply to Stuart Williams:

That's what I've just asked the trigpointing guys. I currently have the impression that whoever originally produced the app many moons ago is no longer involved but I may well be proven wrong on that yet.

I was just trying to get a feel on how easy an app like that would be to just updated to latest phones

In reply to Frankie boy:

The answer is probably “it depends”, although I am far from an expert. Could be something relatively simple like layout rules not being right for the dimensions of newer phones. Could be something more complex, and either way troubleshooting can be a lengthy task. 

However, if the developer isn’t supporting the app anymore and hasn’t handed the code over to anyone then unfortunately it doesn’t make much difference what the specific problem is or how time consuming it is to sort out. 

In reply to Stuart Williams:

Yeah, that's about what I figured. Fingers crossed something can be agreed with the original developer if they can be found.

mp3ferret 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Frankie boy:

Android api's regularly make breaking changes - the old menu control is deprecated as of V 10.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/13/the-menu-navigation-button-has-fin...

Andy Gamisou 04 Jan 2021
In reply to mp3ferret:

> Android api's regularly make breaking changes 

Tell me about it ....

OP Frankie boy 05 Jan 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Fair play to you guys, I know absolutely nowt about this stuff, hence asking what may seem like daft questions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...