Another tech question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi, 

I've a western digital 1tb drive I used to use on my G5 mac .

I cleared it of info and tried to set it up on my window 7 pc as extra back up storage.

For some reason it shows up in device management information ( that its connected to a usb port) but fails to show up on  the desktop or anywhere on the system for me to format or use. 

Any ideas ?

Hooo 25 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

You need to create a volume on it. Open Disk Management and it will pop open a box telling you to do this.

In reply to Hooo:

> You need to create a volume on it. Open Disk Management and it will pop open a box telling you to do this.

I'll check if I can see it in disk management when I get home later.

Thanks 

wilkie14c 25 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

is it formatted to the correct format? Using it on a Mac means it could be APFS or Mac OS extended. Using it for windows you’ll need to format it NTFS and then initialise the drive. All done in disc management and should be easy following a youtube guide

In reply to wilkie14c:

> is it formatted to the correct format? Using it on a Mac means it could be APFS or Mac OS extended. Using it for windows you’ll need to format it NTFS and then initialise the drive. All done in disc management and should be easy following a youtube guide

I wondered about this but of course but didn't find it appear so couldn't format it . 

I'll check disk management later, but I would have thought it was something I would have looked at when I tried to diagnose its issue .

I do remember device management finding it when plugging it in though but not appearing on the desktop.

Post edited at 10:30
In reply to Hooo:

> You need to create a volume on it. Open Disk Management and it will pop open a box telling you to do this.

Thanks. 

Got it working.  I can back up my studio work now.  Cheers

In reply to wilkie14c:

> is it formatted to the correct format? Using it on a Mac means it could be APFS or Mac OS extended. Using it for windows you’ll need to format it NTFS and then initialise the drive. All done in disc management and should be easy following a youtube guide

Got it working now .  Thanks.

Obviously I'd not checked disk management .  They keep changing where it is.  Lol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...