Another hen harrier lost

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 17 Mar 2023

Unsure where to put this, but another bird has gone from a peak district grouse moor. Tracker discovered elsewhere having been deliberately cut off. 

It's a depressing mess. But a reminder to report ANY suspicious  behaviour to the police AND RSPB. 

https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b/investigations/posts/hopes-dashed-f...

Matt Podd 17 Mar 2023
In reply to toad:

Bast@@ds! Gamekeepers?

Billhook 17 Mar 2023
In reply to toad:

Its sickening and quite depressing.

Lankyman 17 Mar 2023
In reply to toad:

With the degree of miniaturisation possible nowadays would it not be possible to fit a webcam to at least some birds? Even the possibility of a bird having one might deter an attempted crime.

dread-i 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

>With the degree of miniaturisation possible nowadays would it not be possible to fit a webcam to at least some birds?

It might be down to power constraints. These trackers ping a satellite already, so any additional power would drain the battery and add costs. Also, if they are shooting them with a tracker on already, a web cam wont make much difference, I'd have thought.

I'd suggest taking the problem back to the land owners. If a tracked bird of prey goes missing on your estate, then you loose shooting rights for a month. If it happens twice, then no shooting for a year. Also have a carrot. If you look after birds of prey, then some sort of cash incentive is in order.

Realistically, we should just ban grouse shooting on moors.

In reply to Matt Podd:

It's nearly always gamekeepers or farmers. They are a criminal bunch who do as they will. The thing that baffles me is that raptors take so few grouse that it seems pointless to continually kill them. I suspect the keepers are simply thick, and just do what they are told without thinking. 

Luckily the NT have kicked off the grouse shooters from one of their estates in the Peak - Park Hall - due to incessant criminality.

If any keepers want to come on here and explain why they aren't to blame, or why killing the bords is the right thing to do, I'd be very interested.

mondite 17 Mar 2023
In reply to dread-i:

> I'd suggest taking the problem back to the land owners. If a tracked bird of prey goes missing on your estate

Power constraints still apply here though. They generally only transmit daily so a bird can travel a decent distance in that time.

Duncan Bourne 17 Mar 2023
In reply to toad:

Very sad. We saw one last year and it was magnificent

petegunn 17 Mar 2023
In reply to toad:

Can someone not introduce a new game, maybe call it "Estate and Game"  The aim to either shoot or poison said person's? I'm sure theres money in it as you rarely see them out on the vast tracks of land which they "own"! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...