Am I being made redundant?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019

So my manager found out I am looking for another job. Instead of asking why or if there was anything they can do to make me stay they offered me paid two to three weeks off, 'to find another job'. That made me feel very uncomfortable and not sure how to react. We are supposed to have a meeting to discuss this tomorrow. Any advice will be very appreciated!

Jon Read 19 Aug 2019
In reply to lucyconfused:

Can't add anything useful, but I would want to be clear whether this would count as holiday or not (ie. extra paid holiday time)

Lusk 19 Aug 2019

To be brutal, it sounds like they don't want you.

I'd take the offer.

lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

I have a list of questions ready, such as what will the equivalent of 3 weeks be and how would this be distributed to me, when will this come to action and of course I would need everything in writing. But your point of whether any holidays would be included in those three weeks is also very valid, thank you!

lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Lusk:

Definitely, but I don't want to feel cornered, just gathering information to gain an upper hand. Knowledge IS power

neilh 19 Aug 2019

Let them talk at the meeting. Do not agree to anything and say you want a day to think about it and  then another meeting. Do not feel ambushed.

Andrew Lodge 19 Aug 2019

How long have you worked there?

MeMeMe 19 Aug 2019

I don't think they are making you redundant because that would involve them (potentially!) paying you redundancy which would be crazy if you are going to leave and get a new job anyway (obviously they don't need to pay redundancy if you leave for a new job).

Aside from that I'm not sure what to make of it!

lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

It will be 3 years in January

lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019
In reply to MeMeMe:

They don't want to wait any longer as we are approaching busy Christmas period and I play a key role, so they would need to replace me quickly, sooner rather than later

rogersavery 19 Aug 2019

If they need to replace you they cannot make you redundant 

artif 19 Aug 2019

They want you out and are doing you a favour by saying go now on full pay for a couple of weeks. Rather than waiting with the potential of you causing them problems. 

skog 19 Aug 2019

It sounds as if they want rid of you now they know you're thinking of going - and are maybe hoping to get around not being able to make you redundant, by having you agree to accepting a few weeks pay in exchange for leaving. But it's hard to tell.

Neilh's advice seems solid; if the paid leave is extra, rather than them just trying to get you to take your holidays for this, make sure you know what would happen if you hadn't secured another job by the end of it.

Philip 19 Aug 2019

Sounds like a clever move to get you to decide what you want. So why not put the time in to decide what you want.

If it's to be paid more then just ask for that, they'll probably want something in return - eg you taking on more  responsibility. If you just want to leave then is 2 or 3 weeks going to make a difference. Depending on what you do it could be months (or longer) to find the right thing for you.

In reply to neilh:

All of what neilh said, plus take notes at the meeting, at the end of the meeting go over each point that has been offered, then send something back in writing so that both sides are clear about what has been offered and on what basis.  Only take the next move, whether that's to accept the offer as clearly scoped out in your written summary or not, once both sides have agreed that what is in writing is indeed what's on offer.

Leave anything about just why you're seeking another position for another time, and be clear about that being what you wish to do if the subject gets raised.  It's a separate issue which demands a different discussion.

T.

lucyconfused 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Great points, thank you, will do!

Speak to your union. 

Mark Morris 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Presley Whippet:

I'd agree with this , but suspect the poster isn't in one. You've had some good advice so far Lucy. They could be stupid and decide that they want to bully you out if you're looking elsewhere. Constructive dismissal is difficult to take to a tribunal, but carefully worded confirmation of conversations and , more importantly, poor responses from them will help. BTW, hope your posting under a pseudonym!.

Billhook 19 Aug 2019

Your post says they are offering you some weeks off to look for a job.

1). This is not redundancy as the job, I assume will still exist, and there are statutory redundancy payments which only amount to 3 weeks payment in your case.

2). It doesn't sound like you are being dismissed either, as I would have have expected them to say you are being dismissed at the end of the 2 or 3 weeks.

3). As others have said, they may well be offering you a paid leave of absence because they want to improve your chances of going!! (They want you to go)' or they may well be making a genuine guesture of assistance- it does happen!!  Either way, this should be in addition to any paid leave you have outstanding so check this out!

tjdodd 19 Aug 2019

Sounds like sensible advice above.

Re why your manager did not ask if there was anything they could do to make you stay it would be interesting to know how they found out you are looking for a new job.  There is a good chance that your manager has heard only part of the truth and assumes there is nothing that can be done to change your mind based on what they have heard even though they may value you and not want you to leave.  This may or may not be correct.  I would be very careful though about who you tell certain things at work as there will always be gossip and rumours which can lead to misunderstandings.

Try to stay on good terms whilst leaving.  You never know who you might need in the future.

Andy 1902 19 Aug 2019

What happens at the end of the two to three weeks is the most important thing. Could be fine if you have found a new job not so if you haven't. Don't accept anything until you have had time to think about it - make this very clear at the start of the meeting.

marsbar 20 Aug 2019

Is it that there is confidential information they don’t want you taking to a competitor?

Tringa 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Andy 1902:

> What happens at the end of the two to three weeks is the most important thing. Could be fine if you have found a new job not so if you haven't. Don't accept anything until you have had time to think about it - make this very clear at the start of the meeting.

That was my question too. It could be the company are looking at an easy way of getting rid of you, Lucyconfused.

If at all possible take someone with you to any meeting.

Dave

Toerag 20 Aug 2019

1) make sure you know your contractual terms and conditions (you do actually have a contract don't you...)

2) Failure to follow process by either side means that side will 'lose' in a dispute.

3) If you were looking for another job in work time you are probably stuffed.

neilh 20 Aug 2019
In reply to Tringa:

There are easier and less expensive ways of getting rid of somebody.

tjdodd 23 Aug 2019

Hope the meeting went ok and you are all sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...