Alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 03 Aug 2022

There's been a lot of helpful discussion on this forum regarding reducing or stopping alcohol consumption. Looking at AA it seems very God focused. I know it works for lots of people, some I know personally. But I'm an atheist. I can't give control of my life to something I don't believe in.

Is there an alternative? 

Bottom Clinger 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

There’s an increasing number of locally based, generic support groups focussing on mens health. For example, this group hire our building:

https://directionsformen.org.uk/groups

Might be a similar group near you?  Also, each GP in Wigan is connected to a Community Link Worker, they know all local support groups. Again, might be similar up your way? TBH, Scotland is usually ahead of the game on this sort of stuff. 

Bottom Clinger 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

There’s an increasing number of locally based, generic support groups focussing on mens health. For example, this group hire our building:

https://directionsformen.org.uk/groups

Might be a similar group near you?  Also, each GP in Wigan is connected to a Community Link Worker, they know all local support groups. Again, might be similar up your way? TBH, Scotland is usually ahead of the game on this sort of stuff. 

Edit: have a gander at this:

https://www.moodcafe.co.uk/media/28970/gp-laminate-all-fife.pdf

Forest Dump 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

GP for signposting maybe. If your not keen on that/disclosure then check out local voluntary mental health services for further signposting, or drug and alcohol type orgs.

AA doesn't work for lots of people so there's usually other options kicking around

fmck 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

If your just worried about how much you drink rather than needing to stop altogether. You can have medication that will limit how much you want to drink. There's also med that helps stop the craving if stopping altogether. 

OP aln 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Dislikes?

wintertree 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

> Dislikes?

Not worth your time Aln, not worth your time.

philipivan 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Have you seen the Club Soda group on Facebook before?

Sealwife 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

There a fair few books/groups/resources out there which deal with addressing an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.  AA is not the only way and does not suit everyone.

colinakmc 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Don’t know what Council area you live in but you could Google for a Council on Alcohol for your area (or ask the Scottish Council on Alcohol) and look at their counselling services. Not preachy, agree an agenda with you, and aim to put you in control of things.

Having said that I used to do a little work with Anthony Thorley, who was prominent in the field, and he said more than once that he often pleaded with patients who were relapse-prone, just to go to an AA meeting every day for a month. He said something happens when you do that, whether you take the god agenda on board or not.

Good luck with your journey and be kind to yourself.

Calvi 03 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Andy's Man Club.

Mind.

Turning Point.

In reply to aln:

> Dislikes?

Some good christian soul, perhaps...?

Best of luck with your quest.

spenser 04 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

SMART recovery is an alternative focused on psycho education although it deals with drug addiction as well.

My understanding of AA is that anyone who feels their drinking causes problems will be made welcome, how helpful it is will depend on your reasons for drinking as 12 step programs largely focus on addressing issues of shame. 

laughitup 04 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

I work for a drug and alcohol service in Bristol and we point people towards SMART groups as AA and other fellowship meetings are definitely not for everyone. SMART groups are similar in the sense that they provide mutual aid support but are not god-y. 

Chatting to your GP about your drinking can seem like a big step but can be really beneficial as they will be able to connect you with a network of support local to you. 

Worth noting that it can be very dangerous to stop drinking cold turkey if you are drinking a lot and would definitely recommend chatting to a healthcare provider before you decide to make any changes if you feel like your drinking is habitual.

Drop me an email if you want to ask any questions 

fmck 04 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

I'm still in the early stages having had detox on 5th of June. I would stop by myself but the planned 1 week would end up a few days. You feel kind of lost in those few days as if in a waiting room to restart. I only drank in the evenings but it got increasing amounts. I would go to bed early thinking I would be ok in the morning. I wouldn't drive if I had so much as a pint and felt fine in the mornings. I got caught at work with a random D & A test where I was breathalysed with a reading of 70 at 10am. This sounds absurd to most people and was a real eye opener for me and others. I felt completely fine and showed nothing noticeable. My tolerance had reached that level.

This was the end of the road and was the final nail. No more lies and trying to hide it or in reality protecting my addiction. I was at my lowest point and on the verge of losing just about everything. I made the call and got referred to an addiction team. It didn't happen over night but what followed was the most amazing, supportive help I could ever imagine. (NHS btw) Its always been at my home which I think helps. My life has changed dramatically and very much in a positive, very happy way.

Now back at work and people there have been very supportive. Company HR department was as expected as its a very large company. Tick boxes and stupid questions that are made up by someone with no knowledge of the subject. 

Hopefully you get something positive from this. 

OP aln 04 Aug 2022
In reply to colinakmc:

Thanks.

OP aln 04 Aug 2022
In reply to philipivan:

No.

OP aln 04 Aug 2022
In reply to fmck:

Yes, helpful. 

OP aln 04 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

Thanks for the helpful replies. Steps on the journey I really appreciate. 

OP aln 05 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

SMART looks like the kinda thing I'm looking for. Once again UKC has helped.

OP aln 05 Aug 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> TBH, Scotland is usually ahead of the game on this sort of stuff. 

Thanks for your help Mick, always appreciated. But I'm not sure about the statement above. The latest figures about drug use and deaths are shocking. Really glad that in my days of dabbling I had enough sense to stay away from junk.

Bottom Clinger 05 Aug 2022
In reply to aln:

I get what you’re saying. I think it’s more along the lines of community support is often better than other areas, but there does appear to be problems addressing root causes. 

Ridge 05 Aug 2022
In reply to fmck:

Brave and honest post. Glad things are on the up for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...