Advice RE going part time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jack_44 25 Nov 2022

Hi all, 

Just thought I'd ask for any experience on here about the following, to see if anyone else has done this and could provide advice.

I'm planning on reducing my work hours to half time at some point next year to allow more time for climbing and spending time doing the things I enjoy. I currently work a busy, stressful job Monday to Friday, but really love my profession. I'm at a point in my life where I don't need half the money I earn (very lucky, but I do live pretty frugally). I have discussed a reduction in hours with my manager and they can offer half or full time only. I have lots of options picking up additional work with my current employer on the bank or casual, as well as working privately. Half time covers my outgoings, but only leaves a little wiggle room each month of £100-£200. All sounds a very cushdy position, and it is one I have had to put quite a lot of effort in to find myself here. I'm 30, with over 5 years experience in my profession. No children and live in an area with ample good rock climbing, with tons more a couple of hours away, along with the best mountain areas in the UK. Thinking about swapping my car for a van to cater for getting away for a few days at a time regularly too.

I wanted to ask if anyone has done anything similar? My concerns are I'll miss the nice comfort blanket of a full time salary or I'll regret the reduction of pension contributions in 37 years time. Will I find myself with too much time and feel guilty for not working? Will the increased cost of running a van and fuel for driving mean it's too expensive to go further afield to climb on a half salary? In the current economic climate, is it best to play it safe and keep saving?

Overall my job is really quite stressful, I find tiredness and stress regularly spills over and impacts evenings and weekends climbing. The other side of that coin is that I'm very passionate about the work I do. It seems like a win win to go part time, but the concerns above aren't going away! I'm also very passionate about climbing and for the last few years it feels like this is increasingly taking a back seat.

Any advice appreciated!

abr1966 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Couple of immediate thoughts I had....

- winter is different to summer....the reason I say this is because a mate of mine has just took early retirement at 58, he finished at the end of September and he's now looking to get a job as the lack of responsibility is great but he's been having less of a good time than he though particularly because it's the time of year we're in....he is planning to work again till April then be off again.

-  £100-200 a month is a small margin.

-But....it sounds a great plan to me but I'd be happer working 3 or 3 1/2 days to make it financially more secure.

-Its easy to do the conventional thing and miss lots of things along the way....age creeps up and you may miss the chance.

-Good luck...

Post edited at 16:42
 Luke90 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I went part-time for a few years. Though that was from teaching, and motivated partly by really disliking the job so a bit different from your situation. Whether you'll feel bad having too much time on your hands probably depends very much on your own temperament and how much you value the ways you end up spending the time. I definitely felt very lucky to have the extra time but I never felt bad about it. It certainly wasn't good for my pension but there are more important things in life than money.

Vans can definitely be more expensive to run than cars. But both cover a huge and overlapping range so depending on what you're currently driving, and how big you go, you might not need to spend much more. If you're only considering trips of a few days, you don't need a big Instagram-style #vanlife monstrosity. I bought a small Tourneo/Transit Connect, which was the perfect size for short solo trips. Which, incidentally, I'm now selling pretty cheap.

It definitely wasn't good for my pension or savings but there are more important things in life than money and although I'm back to working full-time (in a job I much prefer), I have no regrets about my years working part-time.

Dax H 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I have no direct experience but I remember a mate doing this and he ended up going back to full time because he found he was spending a lot more than when he was working full time. 

PaulW 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I decided to keep working full time but to have the aim of semi retiring early.

The day I had enough to live the lifestyle I wanted I stopped full time work and have now had a happy decade of odd part time jobs and lots of volunteering to keep me occupied.

Good luck with your choice. We only live once.

peppermill 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I was lucky enough to be in this position in my mid-20s, worked 3-4.5 days a week (not completely by choice but worked out OK) for a couple of years, then ended up back to full time (and more....)to help out a mate and ultimately ended up changing careers. Now on a shift pattern which is full time hours but usually crammed into 3-4 days a week. 

I'm sure you've thought of all this but-

First point I'd make is you're still young enough to play around with things for a couple of years-i.e. go part time for a bit for a break and a recharge then go back to full time when you realise you need to start making money again. Doesn't have to be a permanent decision.

£100-200 a month isn't that much of a margin the way things are going (any savings aside obv.), especially if you want to be out and about doing things. Vans break down, need welding to get through MOTs and are basically never as cheap or as worth it as we all like to think! Plus gear wears out etc etc.

If burnout is a factor (I get the impression it may be from your OP), it can be all to easy to make some very poor decisions just by being a bit fed up with life. Try and plan things very carefully.

Post edited at 18:02
 cwarby 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I went P/T when my daughter was born, 3 days week. I took a day back when she was about 7. I work NHS, so pension is reduced. Are you public or private sector? Look up how you can make up contributions now and later, it can be tax efficient. I'm retiring early next year and taking detriment, but I'm utterly shattered. I've done 4 normal days in 5 months. Life is short and yes you need a pension, but you only take your pension if you're living.

There's also various ways of flexible working, not just P/T..annualised hours, term time working?? Is your employer willing to listen to you clearly wanting to work and being flexible? "Let my people go surfing"!! Maybe talk to HR. The NHS have criteria for P/T working.

And family?? Partners happy with you working, earning less? Mortgage??

Lots to think about, I wish you well.

wintertree 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

See if anyone else works part time for your employer and ask them if they feel their workload has genuinely decreased in proportion to their paid hours.  

Sam W 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I've been doing a 32 hour week for the past 6 years.  I fit these around work i.e. I don't have fixed days/times when I'm not available for meetings.  For me, it's been brilliant.  I'm far happier and more productive than I was working full time.

For me the biggest risk of dropping hours is employer 'forgetting' and expecting you to do more work than is realistically achievable on reduced time.  I've generally managed to avoid this, but when there is a real need for me to do extra hours (to the benefit of the business) I've done my best to help and my employer has allowed me to get overtime back as TOIL or additional pay (at my standard rate).

I think in the long run it will hold back career progression, but extra time with the family/doing hobbies/fixing the house certainly feel more important to me at the moment.

Post edited at 18:34
 Forest Dump 25 Nov 2022
In reply to Sam W:

This as a negative! Re employers forgetting you've dropped hours and still loading it on.

I went down to 32hrs a week following some Occupational Health input at the start of the year. I had run the numbers and was comfy with the margin, then the economy damn it!!

Things are tighter than anticipated but given a chronic health concern 32hrs with flexibility is more sustainable for me than full time hours..

Ideally I'd pick up a promotion / more seniority to offset the financial hit

Fiona Reid 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Myself and partner went part time at the start of 2018. We do 9 days from 10 with every second Friday off. 

The salary cut was not an issue but yes we'll pay a bit less in pension so that might bite in the future...However, the quality of life improvement phenomenal. We can pick and choose the best days and the pressure to go out in crap weather is less. Climbs and hills are quieter on Fridays so that means we've done stuff we might not have otherwise as we'd have been in a queue or whatever. Going part time was the best decision we've made. 

We're planning to drop to 80% with every Friday as soon as we can. Hopefully in the next year. 

I'd rather have time now and go climbing etc than wait till I retire and discover my body is wrecked or I can no longer do the stuff I wanted.  

ExiledScot 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

If you have 2 or 3 more days off you'll spend more, so your 100-200 will disappear.

£200 spare isn't much, if costs rise, salaries stagnate you'll soon be strapped.

I'd consider a 4 day week, every friday off? Or variations of. It will feel great, without drastically reducing income. 

BRILLBRUM 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

There are quite a few ways of cutting this, here’s another and one that works for me. I work MTWT on billable hours for a big consulting firm, I’m paid if I’m on a client contract or not but if it came to redundancies not being fully utilised would count against me relative to a 40 hour week. To make sure that I’m making full whack for the company, giving my all to the client I’m pimped out to so they are getting value for money, and I’m not taking a cut in salary or pension contributions, my 40 hours are spread across 4 days, so yes, that’s 4  x 10 hour days. It works for my company and it works for the client, my output and quality of work is good, no complaints. Yes they are long days, but to be honest when I was doing 5 days a week I was still putting in extra hours most days. This way my Friday is MY Friday and I never, ever do any work on a Friday and everyone knows that’s the way it is. I’m lucky that what I do isn’t life impacting and whilst my skills are highly valued, the world won’t end if I’m not available on a Friday.

I have a far better quality of life, I get to see more of my family, I’m better rested, and the impact of a 10 hour day is hardly noticeable.

We’re not entertaining a full four day week across my company, but where it’s possible I can see this becoming the norm, firstly in progressive companies, and then on a broader basis.

Post edited at 21:19
 ExiledScot 25 Nov 2022
In reply to BRILLBRUM:

Depends on the company, lots of companies and sectors expect salaried workers to be doing 50hr weeks over 5 days just to get on, work to rule, take your full lunch out of the office and some dinosaur management will consider individuals not committed to the job or the company, even if you are more productive. 

Wimlands 25 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I dropped to a 4 day week, Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, and would 100% recommend it.

Took the stress of the job out for me as I made it crystal clear that I was not contactable on the Wed and it made me work efficiently on the days I was in. Focuses the mind on what is important to do. The extra day off made a real difference to my health. 

I’m sure my employer benefitted as well. Paid me less but got the job done with a healthier, happier employee.

BRILLBRUM 25 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

This is very true, and if Jacob Rees Mogg had his way we’d be doing so with no paid holiday, benefits of any kind, and would be thankful for it too.

The reality is that we are in a third Industrial Revolution and ways of working and not working are changing post pandemic. In the 2nd Industrial Revolution and with the introduction of labor laws we got working hour directives (for what they are worth) and weekends. In the 3rd we should get a better work life balance, and more say in how, where, and when we work. It’s very fluffy and new-age at the mo, and the Daily Mail hates it, but where it is practical, it will happen.

our weekends should be for enjoying ourselves, being with family and friends, not recovering from work in preparation for going straight back,

Forest Dump 25 Nov 2022
In reply to ExiledScot:

Bugger that, those days are done outside of the City surely? Look how poor Elon got on recently laying down the law..

James Malloch 26 Nov 2022
In reply to abr1966:

> - winter is different to summer....the reason I say this is because a mate of mine has just took early retirement at 58, he finished at the end of September and he's now looking to get a job as the lack of responsibility is great but he's been having less of a good time than he though particularly because it's the time of year we're in....he is planning to work again till April then be off again.

That’s interesting to read. Last year I climbed loads after work in the spring/summer/autumn and hated only being outside in the dark over winter.

It made me think that perhaps I’d enjoy more time off over winter than summer. But perhaps the reality is quite different when it’s actually rainy a lot of the time…

Will Hunt 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Some things to consider:

I don't think you say whether you own a house? If not I'd be saving up as much as possible and buying.

You don't have kids now but is there a chance you will? Childcare costs are expensive. £1250/month at the moment if you were to send them 5 days/week. You might use nursery less than that, but even pro-rata'd down to 3 or 4 days it's a big wedge of cash.

Keith C 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I know lots of people who work reduced hours and love it. Not that reduced though  and it seems strange your employer is so inflexible. I wonder if it's a bluff cos they don't think you will reduce work that much. Another perspective is that like you at 30 I had no kids and didn't think I would. Had them in later life and  glad I pretty much kept working full time as otherwise would be in a different and harder financial position now. Have a think about where you would like to be in 10 years time. If say a 4 day week is right for you I'd keep negotiating! 

SDM 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Half your salary sounds too tight to me. £100-200 spare a month will quickly get eaten up by inflation, increased costs due to more free time, and the one off unexpected bills for van maintenance or fixing a leaking roof (I don't think you said if you're a home owner?). It might be doable if you already have a healthy emergency fund but I would have thought the stress of potential money worries might soon outweigh the gains of extra free time.

It sounds like you have the flexibility to drop down to 50% at your employer and pick up some other percentage on a casual/contract basis. If your employer is going to stay rigid on the 50% as your only option, I would take that and aim to top it up with the casual/contract work so that you're up to ~70% (i.e. a 7 day fortnight). That'll give you much more time off than you currently have, it'll stop money being so tight so that you can fully enjoy your time off, and it'll allow you to put some of the spare into your pension pot.

I would do that, and see how it's going after 3 or 6 months. You can always increase/decrease the amount of contract work you take on until you find the money/time balance that works best for you.

You may also find that it works well to do the contracting on a seasonal basis. If your time off in the summer is more valuable than in the winter, you could maybe just do you 50% over summer, then add in the contracting work in the winter.

OP jack_44 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Thanks everyone for your advice, I very much appreciate it. 

I'm not a home owner, currently renting, but have a financial plan to consider buying in around 2 year's time, based on money I have saved, though I don't know the first thing about home ownership I appreciate this could be a slap in the face! 

I work for the NHS, hence the lack of flexibility! I had thought £100-£200 margin was quite good, but grateful for the advice that would suggest otherwise! This was costed out on a bit of a worse case scenario (increase in current rent, below likely pay rise, increase in fuel, bills etc). 

My thoughts at the moment are to go with the half time offer (though I will ask about more flexibility) and put the time I want to in to climbing for the following 6 months, then try and strike the balance with external/seasonal work to provide more financial security. Interesting points raised about more time = more expenditure. 

Its a tempting thing to keep working, keep saving. But I think having the confidence to take the plunge a bit, get off the hamster wheel and then reassess. I'm in a fortunate position of having lots of options for additional work.

James Malloch 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

> I'm not a home owner, currently renting, but have a financial plan to consider buying in around 2 year's time, based on money I have saved, though I don't know the first thing about home ownership I appreciate this could be a slap in the face! 

Half income means half the amount you can borrow. 

> I work for the NHS, hence the lack of flexibility!

It also means it would probably be easy to increase your hours if needed in the future I suppose?

OP jack_44 26 Nov 2022
In reply to James Malloch:

That's very true, though it is something I have looked in to. 

And that is also very true! I think that's good to remember, along the lines as has been said, of this doesn't need to be a permanent basis and can soon be reversed!

freeflyer 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I think you should go for it.

Your employer is required by law to be flexible and negotiate, although as a very large employer they are obviously hamstrung in a number of ways.

I would look at some of: take unpaid leave, resign and go contract, or go half-time as you suggest. One good step to take might be to contact a mortgage provider or two, dangle the carrot and ask them how they would treat you in the various situations you are considering.

At your age I was working all the hours there were because I loved the work, but managed to do a fair amount at weekends and used holidays to the max with the extra cash available from full-time work. Now I'm working a 3-day week from home (although I should have retired ages ago) and have more time than I need for adventure etc.

Start with the life you want, then work out how to get it

Keith C 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

If you don't know much about home ownership but plan to buy in a couple of years I'd probably look into it a bit more before making any big decisions. Two years is not a long time! I would expect that temporary work may not be taken into account assessing how much you can borrow. Hopefully you have lots of savings so not an issue. 

RobAJones 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

>  Interesting points raised about more time = more expenditure. 

We had a similar thoughts to you when we were in out early 30's. We both ended up working full-time for another 12 or years, but don't regret that decision now as we are both effectively retired. For us more time hasn't resulted in greater expenditure. When I went to four days a week I basically resulted in me climbing/cyclung/walking or locally kayaking on a Wednesday. When we went to three days and both had Mondays off it just meant weekends away were longer and for us the main expenditure was/is travelling there an back. In hindsight those years when we were part time are the ones I'd change and simply retire earlier. It now  looks like we were overly cautious financially and working restricted the number of longer trips we could go on at the time. Again with having the van the main expense for us is travelling to and from destinations, so longer trips aren't really any more expensive, especially as we don't have to take them during the school holidays. 

Luke90 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Keith C:

As far as I could tell when I got my mortgage recently, providers only cared about current earnings rather than historical. Or some wanted 3 months of payslips if your wage fluctuated. So as long as he's got the deposit planned and is confident he can switch back to a full-time contract on demand, he should be fine to switch to part-time for a while. Maybe they're taking into account salary history in the background through credit reports but I certainly didn't get directly asked about anything other than my current contract or the last 3 months.

Andy Reeve 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

> I work for the NHS, hence the lack of flexibility!

I also work for the NHS and have found the biggest variable to be my manager's attitude to flexible working. I've had two separate years off climbing (first one I had to quit, second was given unpaid leave but remained contacted with that Trust), and currently working 4 days (30 hours) a week. Each time I've requested anything non-standard in my hours it's basically come down to if my manager was willing, rather than any restrictions in the policy. 

So my advice, if you'd prefer to have a compromise of say 22.5 or 30 hour weeks, would be to carefully read the relevant flexible working policy for your trust and go back to negotiating with your manager. Unless there is so being very specific about your role, I would be surprised if other alternatives aren't possible.

As an aside, I love working 4 days. Much better quality of life both inside of work and outwith.

Jenny C 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Reeve:

I was chatting with a friend who does a 4day week. Apparently most people she works with had asked for Friday or Monday off and get told no, she wanted Wednesday and got an immediate yes.

Obviously everyone wants a long weekend, but I have first hand experience of a co worker never working Fridays, and this reduced staffing made it really difficult for anyone else to get approved to take a Friday off - especially during the holiday season. Being flexible about your day off may make people more willing to accommodate your request.

​​​​​​As others say I think the safety margin on half hours would be too tight for comfort, but it's about life balance and if you prepared to sacrifice luxuries in return for more free time. Having always worked full time and how being off on long term sick, I appreciate the security of savings but also regret always putting work first and not being more adventurous when I'd had my health. 

Andy Reeve 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Jenny C:

> I was chatting with a friend who does a 4day week. Apparently most people she works with had asked for Friday or Monday off and get told no, she wanted Wednesday and got an immediate yes.

That's a good point, and one I omitted to mention: my non-working day is Tuesday. I find it hard going to climb two days in a row these days, let alone three! 

Sorry to hear about the long term sickness Jenny. 

Keith C 26 Nov 2022
In reply to Luke90:

I think your right about the 3 months. However, if you want to work reduced time be good to get in a position where you can buy without having to change hours back to full time in the not to distant future. It can take a long time to buy a house and could be a pain having to change to full time when you remortgage. Anyway hopefully not an issue! 

Billhook 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I moved to Eire 24 years ago.  By accident & partially by design I went part time.  It was/is cheaper to live there than the UK (No sewerage or water charges, in the country side , nor any 'council tax')

I've been P/T ever since.   Yes it does take time to set up and get an income you can manage on.  One downside though...........I got offered more and more work over the years than 4 days per week could manage.  So I started to do the ocassional 'extra' day.  In the end I ended up working 5 days a week again....... You need to be disciplined in not taking on work you can't spare the time for.

Good Luck

PS...It was the best thing I ever did.

Sam W 26 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Couple of thoughts on house buying.  If you can afford a house that works for you on part time wages, you'll have some built in slack if you need more money at a later date (assuming you can go back to full time work fairly easily).  Also, as long as you are part time, and assuming you have an interest in doing a house up yourself, you'll have time to do this.  Money saved on tradesmen can go a long way to offsetting any loss in wages.

In reply to jack_44:

I think half-time working at the age of 30 is far too little, for all the reasons that others have already raised. Why not try reducing your work in increments, first to a 9-day fortnight and then an 8-day one (again, as others have suggested). That makes an enormous difference to the amount of useful free time one gets off. Also, don't underestimate the importance of building up savings and a decent pension.

Fraser 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I'm 59 and went PT in March this year,  from 5 to 3 days a week. I'm (I think / hope) financially secure so felt I could cope with 3/5 salary. Almost immediately I felt like a weight had been lifted off me that I never knew was there. 

But if I were 30 years old,  lived frugally and still only had £100-200/mo. wriggle room, I'd definitely not consider reducing my hours. 

The downside is I can occasionally be unconsciously excluded from some work issues or decisions which can be a little frustrating but it's not a big deal really. Overall I'm very glad I went PT and feel like I'm almost permanently on holiday. Its definitely lead to a huge improvement in my work-life balance.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. 

Brass Nipples 27 Nov 2022
In reply to Keith C:

> I know lots of people who work reduced hours and love it. Not that reduced though  and it seems strange your employer is so inflexible. 

It might be so they can advertise the role as part time at half hours. They end up with two workers covering the full time hours.

65 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I work for myself now but until 18 months ago I'd been with a company for 19 years and for the last 3 years of that I was part time. I took a 40% cut and worked 3 weeks on and two weeks off. I kept my pension contributions the same as before though.

I'd opine that you need to have a plan for what you want to do with the non-working time. For me it partially worked out. I had two late summers where I took three weeks holiday sandwiched between two non-working fortnights which gave me 7 weeks off and on both occasions I lived out of my van in France, mostly in the Pyrenees. There were other times of year when I could have done with the work though, especially from October through to March with maybe a week off. For me, not being occupied during November and December can bring on SAD pretty badly.

Unless you have a lot of money in the bank as a fiscal landing mat, I'd be wary of only having £100-200 a month spare. I was a lot more comfortable but expenses like a big bill on the van, buying things like a camera lens or a week's skiing saw me dipping into places I'd rather leave alone. 

My work pattern was really good as it gave me proper time off in which I could do almost anything, rather than a three day week which would have given me 4 day weekends. It also worked out well as the nature of my job doesn't lend itself to incomplete weeks.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. Generally, life is too short for working all the time and I think most of us tilt the balance far too much in the direction of work and wealth and also for far too long.

cwarby 27 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

The NHS, if your Trust is like mine, has a great flexible working policy, but not great in reality. I applied for PT working at 38 after my daughter was born. The law says I could, the policy said I could. But I'm unfortunately male. The union's and ACAS got involved and in finally went into a jobshare. But the default was no. If you have an offer, do your sums and take it if it suits. I would say do it. You sound like you've weighed up options and probably in your head, decided. 

Rob Parsons 28 Nov 2022
In reply to 65:

> I'd opine that you need to have a plan for what you want to do with the non-working time.

That is good advice.

> Generally, life is too short for working all the time and I think most of us tilt the balance far too much in the direction of work and wealth and also for far too long.

And so is that.

NobleStone 28 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Lots of good advice here. I would go for it if I were in your position, as like you say you can always top up with bank work on an ad hoc basis and you will always have the option of going full time again.

Housing caveat: You say you rent at the moment. I'd consider buying a house first (something cheap) and getting a lodger to help with mortgage payments. It's easier to get a mortgage with a full-time job.

Van caveat: If you really want a van because you like vans then get one, otherwise it's a massive money pit. You'd be better served by a frugal car and a climbers' club membership.

Toerag 29 Nov 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Will you actually be able to make good use of the extra time off? For example, if you're a climber and can't find a partner for your days off, then what's the point?

pebbles 01 Dec 2022
In reply to Toerag:

>  if you're a climber and can't find a partner for your days off, then what's the point?

Bouldering? Hill walking? Cycling? Swimming?  Seriously, I'd be astonished  if anyone into climbing or the outdoors  can't make good  use of extra free time to do more of the stuff they love or try something new.

Ps. Vans aren't necessarily a "massive money pit".  You can get a smallish van with really good mpg, insurance is a bit higher but there is no reason why maintenance costs should be any higher than a car. It all depends on what van you buy compared to what car!

Post edited at 08:32
 Becky E 01 Dec 2022
In reply to jack_44:

I have just reduced my hours, to prevent burnout. I was paid for 4 x 8hr days, but was usually staying an extra hour every evening. I was knackered. I love my job, and I'm good at it, but I couldn't continue at the same pace.  A friend sat me down on a park bench and told me I needed to do something before I was completely & irreversibly broken.  So I took 2 weeks off sick, and then came back 2.5 days a week, which is reducing to 2 days from next week.

We can't afford for me only to work two days a week, so I'm about to start doing locum work two days a week, to make up the income without the continual temptation/need to stay late every day working unpaid hours.  I've just had a chat with one place where I could probably get a regular gig one or two days a week.

Your situation sounds a bit different, but £100-200/month spare sounds a bit marginal.  I would suggest making the most of picking up bank/casual work (from your current employer or elsewhere): you keep the control over your working hours, but can choose to work more on a seasonal basis.

OP jack_44 05 Dec 2022
In reply to jack_44:

Thanks again for the advice. Currently back discussing things with my manager, having outlined what I would want. 

I think holding off buying a van will be sensible! Keep with the car and tent for the summer and see how things pan out financially. 

As for making use of my time, a lot of local bouldering, trad venues you can chuck a rope down from above, traversing crags, hills to run up and some mid week partners will all help! I'm not worried about having too much time! Though I think staying focussed will help make it more productive, not getting in to bad habits staying up late because I don't have to be up early! 

For home ownership, I think having the plans for a deposit in a couple of year's time and then take it from there. If I need to go back full-time to allow this, I could. 

I feel personal finances and personal climbing are at a clash here. The best financial option is to keep working full time, saving as much as possible, maybe pick up weekend work. The best climbing option would be quite the opposite! Part time sounds like it strikes the balance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...