A woolly problem?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 09 Jan 2023

As a kid I loved and lived in woolly jumpers. I even saw gnarly 1960's mountaineers knock off high mountains in Aran sweaters and Dachstein mitts.

And then Noel Edmunds went and killed my dreams in the 80's, by making woolly jumpers unfashionable. Also a man-made fabric called Fleece became the new kid on the block and I wore nothing but this synthetic garment for decades.

Well, the times they are a changin.

On Christmas Day she-who-must-be-obayed got me a bog standard navy blue woolly jumper from Matalan. Nothing exciting with a simple knit pattern, but I can't believe how warm and comfortable its been. The woolly jumper hasn't left my back for a couple of weeks.

The Grinch inside me is beginning to stir , when I see advertisements of trendy fleece garments made from a couple of recycled water bottles commanding price tags close to three digits.

Anybody else fallen out of love with wool, and fallen back in love with it?

Post edited at 11:46
 65 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I have an ancient wooly jumper which for a while was my standard cragging warm wear. It made me look like the old bastard that I now am. I used it for winter climbing a few times, under a hardshell. It was great until it got wet, when it then weighed a ton and I decided that modern synthetic fabrics are vastly superior.

I still wear it on a regular basis though. If I don't wear it for a while it makes me sneeze, but I get used to it.

Lankyman 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Years ago the Edinburgh Woollen Mill (or one of its imitators) in Pitlochry/Fort Bill/Oban/Callander etc would be visited towards the end of a Scottish hill bagging trip. The 'sales' would be on 52 weeks of the year. Whatever 'bargain' I got they always ended up the same with the sleeves shrinking. I don't think I have a woolly jumper any more. Their last function was usually to provide a shroud for a dead cat.

Ciro 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Not sure I would go back to wearing them on the hill, but have fallen back in love with wooly jumpers for the home - perfect for keeping comfortable and the thermostat low when WFH.

Rob Exile Ward 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I was out on Scafell yesterday in snow and was beginning to think it was time to get another pair of Dachstein mitts...

And yes, I'm starting to wear wool again. Mac McDermot in 'Mountaineering' is still how I like to imagine myself looking! 

CantClimbTom 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd love to wear wool, but itches and rashes on me (even expensive low prickle factor wools), unfortunately I can't wear it. But if I could I would. I'd treat it with (don't get ant-fleece angry!) Nikwax polar proof and use as mid layer or when not wearing a jacket over it I'd call it "softshell" to be extra annoying. Sadly allergies interfere with this plan. But good on you questioning the Emperor's new clothes BS that other take for granted: that it's "essential" to wear some £200!!!! fleece on the hill.

OP The Lemming 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Ciro:

> Not sure I would go back to wearing them on the hill, but have fallen back in love with wooly jumpers for the home -

I too would not wish to wear wool on the hill. I will leave that to the sheep, who have got evolution on their side to get the full benefit of their fleece.

However around the house or the urban environment, wool is fine by me.

Post edited at 13:13
 EdS 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

pretty much all my trips out in the Dales and the like I wear wool - baselayer, shirt and jumper. Its not high mountains, cuttingedge isn't needed. 

Several items are over 20 some 30 years ol - makes economic sense to 

Makes layering easy - lots of control 

In reply to EdS:

> Several items are over 20 some 30 years ol - makes economic sense to 

But not capitalist, consumerist economic sense where obsolescence is factored in to a product to ensure that you buy more things.

balmybaldwin 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

> ... but I can't believe how warm and comfortable its been. The woolly jumper hasn't left my back for a couple of weeks.

I was wondering what the smell was

LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Same as you, I used to find wool itchy and came of age as a climber when fleece was fashionable.

I've got some Icebreaker base layer stuff, but wouldn't otherwise consider wearing wool for anything else outdoors.

Otherwise, I've got a growing collection of merino jumpers/scarfs and even a cashmere one from M&S and White Stuff for casual and work.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

Having a bad neck, 3 prolapsed disks, I love my Cashmere scarves.

I have a woolly scarf but I am more selective when I chose that one.

Andy DB 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

A few Christmases ago I got one of Alpkit wolly jumpers (not a cheap option) and it has been great. It isn't itchy, feels really nice, and is super warm. has been my go-to home office top for the last few years. I haven't tried it for a proper hill day but it seems to perform reasonably well under a water or windproof layer when walking the dog. definitely breaths better than a cotton based hoody and doesn't seem to get as stinky as fleece. Overall I'm a fan

nniff 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm a heavy woolen jumper devotee.  I have quite a few  

I habitually wear an experienced cashmere jumper underneath a windproof when cragging.  Warm, light, stretchy and toes easily around the waist when not needed

profitofdoom 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

> Anybody else fallen out of love with wool, and fallen back in love with it?

Wool is best, ba-ba-bar none. But some shops e.g. in Ambleside really fleece you for wool products: the shear cost is awful. People still flock there, though. Graze my favourite colour, how about ewe

Lankyman 09 Jan 2023
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Wool is best, ba-ba-bar none. But some shops e.g. in Ambleside really fleece you for wool products: the shear cost is awful. People still flock there, though. Graze my favourite colour, how about ewe

I had a wool jumper with a windproof outer layer but it lamb-inated off ...

Robert Durran 09 Jan 2023
In reply to Ciro:

> Not sure I would go back to wearing them on the hill, but have fallen back in love with wooly jumpers for the home - perfect for keeping comfortable and the thermostat low when WFH.

I've been wearing three wooly jumpers at home that my mum knitted about 30 years ago (well, two of them anyway) like a Russian doll. But it's still three synthetic belay jackets like a Russian doll on the hill when standing around.

Dark-Cloud 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Wool makes me want to itch my own skin off, hateful stuff, it's a no from me!

David Alcock 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Love wool. Currently sporting a tattered Guernsey with a merino/possom cardie on top over a t-shirt. Good down to -5.

As for the hill, if wool gets soaked, squeeze it out and bang it on a rock or a tree and it'll still keep you warm better than any fleece.

In reply to The Lemming:

Never stopped wearing woolen jumpers. I knitt them myself. I generally start wearing my current Icelandic jumper at the start of November and it stays on until March. Gets washed about once year and only if I manage to spill something on (mostly caused by missing my mouth whilst eating soup).

MG 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I'd recommend it on the hill too. Warm when wet is a major advantage.

gethin_allen 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Just make sure to keep the moths away from your new love or you'll have a holey new problem.

In reply to gethin_allen:

More carpet beetle larvae (woollybears).

Post edited at 17:05
In reply to Andy DB:

Just looked at the Alpkit ones, they look great. Will order one now!

In reply to The Lemming:

Not even slightly a wooly jumper but the other day I saw a man, with 70s/80s mountaineer beard (as opposed to current hipster beard) wearing an immaculate blue Javlin fibre pile jacket. Know idea where he cold have got it from. I'm guessing he just bought a good stock of them back in the day.

Brass Nipples 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Fibre Pile is where it is at.

In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> Just looked at the Alpkit ones, they look great. Will order one now!

Time to geek out on specs

https://alpkit.com/blogs/spotlight/whats-so-wonderful-about-wool

Dave the Rave 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Got some dachsteins which are great.

Bought a Norwegian wooly jumper from that shop in Keswick. I rarely take it off in winter around the house. It’s too warm for walking the hills in.

Norwegian wooly hat. Thick and amazingly warm. Again too warm to walk in unless it’s very cold, but then I prefer a balaclava,saving the hat for the car and the pub

In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Got some dachsteins which are great.

> Bought a Norwegian wooly jumper from that shop in Keswick.

You'll have to be a bit more specific. There are a lot of shops in Keswick

George's shop?

Post edited at 21:47
 EdS 09 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

If you can find one... A single ply Shetland with lighter and warmer than a fleece. And breathes better. 

I've an exact copy of the 1952 Everest ones, from the orginal maker..... Perfect for layering or when heavy weight is too much. 

And looks much smarter than a fleece. Fell to office and back with out changing

In reply to The Lemming:

Any recommendations of companies that sell woolly jumpers, besides Alpkit please?

In reply to The Lemming:

It’s along from the Dog and Gun just past the Rohan shop and opposite Nordic Outdoors.

Its called Norwegianstore I think and is obvious by its woollen apparel in the window.

The owner is a lovely bloke and will spend time selling you the correct woollen.

I think mine is a Devold Nansen crew neck, which is a heavy jumper. They do high necks too but they could be itchy. I think it cost £120 but is well worth it in my opinion.

In reply to Dave the Rave:

Cheers

In reply to The Lemming:

A pleasure, it will be a joyous shopping experience, there’s so many to choose from. He’s almost like a ‘suits you sir’ tailor.

Pete Pozman 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm wearing a Marks & Sparks 80% wool "Heritage" jumper I bought from a charity shop for £4. I've got a box full of chuck-ons that I dip into whenever I'm off to the hill. Old fleeces that won't wear out and bargain aisle base layers underneath a second hand woolly. How can you go wrong?  There's never anybody up there when i go out so who cares what i look like.

I bought a Nordlys Norwegian gansey in Norway which I'm stupidly proud of but it is strictly for the pub.

EdS 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

British wool and British made.... Wearing one at the moment

https://www.glencroftcountrywear.co.uk/product-category/jumpers/

Single ply.... 

https://www.bosie.co/shetland-shop/harley-of-scotland-everest-shetland-undy...

A quick Google for British wool jumpers brings up a number of makers - all from British wool and spinners. Not as fashionable as Alpkit..... But more local and sustainable 

In reply to The Lemming:

A new to me term in that link - athleisure.

I’ve still got many wool baselayers and jumpers and still might have woollen gloves, hat, and socks somewhere forgotten about in cupboards! Heaviest weight I’ve got is a Norlender jersey from Norway and that one has a very high zip neck and long length, if you are looking to protect the neck and back. Many years old now, but still looks in good condition.

If you like woollen products otherwise, check out wool filled pillows; I got two I’ve use for many years. You can also get wool filled duvets but I’ve not used them.

Fat Bumbly2 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I like wool and still wear it. However so do the offspring of our moth population.

65 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Sherpa do a range of wool jumpers, I have one and it's a pleasure to wear. They aren't cheap, but then they'll outlast most of us provided the moths don't get them. You can also buy from Sherpa knowing that much of the profit goes to good causes in Nepal. 

mik82 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I definitely have a woolly problem. After starting with an innocuous jumper 20 years ago I progressed onto multiple merino t-shirts, jumpers, base-layers, socks, gloves, sheepskin slippers and recently got a sleeping bag liner.

The only issue is the perpetual battle with clothes moths in my house.

CantClimbTom 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Deleated bagger:

wow... I am impressed. Do you have a knitting machine, or do you actually hand-knit them?

Starting to wonder, perhaps slightly seriously if a very strongly ribbed wool cardigan made from a hollow haired wool (like camel, llama, alpaca as warmer/lighter than sheep) as lining inside a pertex (or similar) jacket. If it could be made looking something like a rab microlight alpine or a TNF thermoball and be the next hot fashion in eco-performance-technical... priced accordingly. Someone might "fleece" (sorry - I just couldn't resist) the market making it the must have ski/posing wear.

Post edited at 11:19
nikkormat 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I bought a couple of Devold Nansen jumpers this winter, after years of pondering. No regrets. Heavy, comfortable and very warm.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

No, I handknit everything. I was taught by a Scottish woman how to knit in the round. So no seams or stitching up involved. Once you learn the technique you don't ever want to work on straight needles. They seem a real faff in comparison.

The Icelandic jumpers are ridiculous easy. I can knock one in 3-4 evenings. I'm currently using up a lifetimes Shetland 2 ply wool stash. I've set my self a target of making 50 Fair Isle hats. Now on 37/50. Here's a sample.

mike123 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Deleated bagger:  They look great . I don’t suppose “somebody”   you Know would sell one of those ?

edit : or do you have 50 grandkids?

Post edited at 11:43
In reply to mike123:

>  They look great . I don’t suppose “somebody”   you Know would sell one of those ?

> edit : or do you have 50 grandkids?

The plan is to sell them when I've reached my total. I'll let you know. Got a couple of other projects on simultaneously.

M

shuffle 10 Jan 2023

I would also love to buy one of these if you are looking to sell them

deepsoup 10 Jan 2023

Ooh.  If they're not all accounted for, I'd like to join the queue for one of those too please.

EdS 10 Jan 2023

Think you've found a market here. 

I'd be after one as well

David Alcock 10 Jan 2023

Gorgeous hats! An occasional knitter here - good for stress. First jumper I made (like you, in the round - steeks for arm and neck holes) - like an aran gansey.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DaEenugxyatrfzyP6

In reply to David Alcock:

Nice gansey. Some complex cabling there. Must have been a satisfying project.

peppermill 10 Jan 2023
In reply to EdS:

>Its not high mountains, cutting edge isn't needed. 

Ssssssssssshhhhh! 

There's a whole outdoor kit industry that needs to be kept going!

;p

Flinticus 10 Jan 2023

Very cool.

Put me down for 2! 

Tou cannot have too many hats

OP The Lemming 10 Jan 2023

Hopefully, as I'm the OP, I'd be allowed to try and purchase a hat, should you sell a few?

tallsteve 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Lamb's wool is warmer when wet than anything else, and I wore jumble sales finds when canoeing on those days when the ice shelves protruding from the bank are 3 inches above the water. 

As an added bonus my jumble sales treasures had the lingering smell of old lady face powder that reminded me of my gran.

In reply to The Lemming:

> Hopefully, as I'm the OP, I'd be allowed to try and purchase a hat, should you sell a few?

Your name is on the list.

Sealwife 10 Jan 2023

They are beautiful work

David Alcock 10 Jan 2023

Stick me down as well. Really like your colours. 

OP The Lemming 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

> They are beautiful work

Mates rates?

Couple of quid cover the postage?

😇😇😇

FactorXXX 10 Jan 2023

I don't wear hats, but if I did, it would be one of yours.

EdS 10 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm still after one of the peaked wool balaclava that Joe Brown used to sell

EdS 10 Jan 2023
In reply to Flinticus:

Minimum number is 1 hat per month, plus a few old favourites plus spares. 

Flinticus 10 Jan 2023
In reply to EdS:

And hillwalking hats are in addition.

Toerag 11 Jan 2023
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I was wondering what the smell was

Not the Lemming, wool is naturally antibacterial.  I wear a Guernsey daily at work and wash it once every 6 months.

Toerag 11 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

> Any recommendations of companies that sell woolly jumpers, besides Alpkit please?

If you want a proper Guernsey (which is drizzle/showerproof, reversible for extra wear and knitted with 5-ply worsted wool which is relatively pull-resistant), then either Le Tricoteur https://letricoteur.co/en-gg or Guernsey Woollens https://www.guernseywoollens.com/ are the only manufacturers left on island. Channel Jumper in Alderney also make decent ones  https://www.channeljumper.com/.  There are also other places that will sell you Guernseys, but they're not made here.  Navy blue is the classic colour.

Bob Kemp 11 Jan 2023

One of the things I love about UKC is the way all kinds of unexpected skills and knowledge can turn up! 

In reply to Toerag:

> If you want a proper Guernsey (which is drizzle/showerproof, reversible for extra wear and knitted with 5-ply worsted wool which is relatively pull-resistant), then either Le Tricoteur https://letricoteur.co/en-gg or Guernsey Woollens https://www.guernseywoollens.com/ are the only manufacturers left on island. Channel Jumper in Alderney also make decent ones  https://www.channeljumper.com/.  There are also other places that will sell you Guernseys, but they're not made here.  Navy blue is the classic colour.

I once knitted an Eriskey gansey in 5 ply worsted Guernsey wool. More of a project than a practical jumper. I was wearing it once on the Lismore ferry and one of the ferrymen, Kenny, spotted it. He's from Eriskey, his mother used to knit them..

​​​​

Doug 11 Jan 2023

I have a pullover bought from a market stall in Tallinn some 20 years ago which I rarely wear as its so warm. Looks a bit like the traditional Norwegian models from companies such as Devold but apparently there are differences in the patterns. I was once wearing it at a conference somewhere in northern Europe when an Estonian approached me to ask if I was from a particular village - seemingly the patterns are often related to place. He seemed disspointed to find I'd just picked it out of a pile on a market stall.

David Alcock 11 Jan 2023

Just looking at those links - how on earth do they keep their prices so low? The kilo of aran weight (Leicester blackface and Masham) for my sweater cost around £100, and that was wholesale.

As an aside, I expect you know this guy's website?

http://www.ganseys.com/

Ciro 16 Jan 2023
In reply to Ciro:

> Not sure I would go back to wearing them on the hill, but have fallen back in love with wooly jumpers for the home - perfect for keeping comfortable and the thermostat low when WFH.

I think I might reassess this position.

My memory of the good old days in wool on the hills is going to be heavily clouded by the fact that waterproofs were non-breathable and leaky; the big leap forward in comfort was the waterproof layer, not what was underneath.

Moving back to more natural fibres for the outdoors is the more ethical thing to do, and I don't do cutting edge alpinism where every gram or CC in the bag counts, so is there any genuine reason not to?

MisterPiggy 17 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Wooly jumpers are great. New, there's the lovely 'wool' smell, and well used jumpers have their own lived-in pong. Joyous.

My house jumper was knitted by mum 40 years ago: shapeless, cuddlesome and warm - it's my go-to winter housewear.

For outside I sourced a lovely merino wool, high neck (with zip) jumper with thumb holes. Made by Ulvang; Swedish I think.

'Outside' jumpers and my Dachsteins get a wash when needed (once in 25 years for the mitts) in a lanolin shampoo.

Wooly jumpers rock ! 😀 🐑

Toerag 17 Jan 2023
In reply to Ciro:

> Moving back to more natural fibres for the outdoors is the more ethical thing to do, and I don't do cutting edge alpinism where every gram or CC in the bag counts, so is there any genuine reason not to?

if your natural fibres get wet they absorb water, whereas artificial ones generally don't. Thus natural fibre garments take longer to dry out, are more likely to act as an evaporation fridge (which you don't want in poor weather), and are heavier when wet. Wool tends to be weaker when wet as well, especially Merino.

nathan79 19 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

Never been in love with wool. Just makes me think of scratchy childhood jumpers in the '80s. I don't think merino counts, I've got a few merino/merino blend things.

However I'm using a touristy trip to Iceland as an excuse to buy a couple of new things and a wool jumper rather than yet another fleece was on the list.

Bagged myself a nice British wool British made jumper from a company called Peregrine. A nice neutral oatmeal colour with fetching orange shoulder patches. Smells absolutely lovely. 

climbingpixie 19 Jan 2023
In reply to The Lemming:

As another UKC knitter I've been on the woolly bandwagon for a while. Currently sporting a handknitted tunic dress, yesterday I had on one of my aran weight colourwork jumpers and Monday I wore my merino bumwarmer and a thin knitted lacy top over a vest. Usually accompanied by my fingerless gloves, woolly hat and supremely cosy Shetland laceweight shawl for the commute. This time of year and this sort of weather is basically heaven for someone with an enormous pile of handknitted stuff! Oh, and the socks, forgot about the jobs of handknitted socks. My colourwork socks are the warmest things I've ever put on my feet and I often wear them under my sealskins when I'm MTBing.

I love everything about it - the warmth, the feel and especially the smell of undyed or minimally processed wool. And the lack of plastics - I like wearing stuff that's robust and well made, will last me for years and years and will rot into nothing when it finally dies. Obviously the downside is the handwashing but tbh I tend to only wash stuff infrequently as wool is naturally odour resistant and a decent airing tends to keep it from getting whiffy. 

In reply to climbingpixie:

Good to now that I'm not the only who can turn a heel, so to speak. The socks sound interesting. Been a couple of years since I knitted any.

Like yourself I'm loving this cold weather and pilling on the woollens. Just off for run over the local hills wearing additional Alpaca wool hat and neck warmer.🏃🧶

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...