A very old newspaper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Whilst clearing out my old auntie’s house I have discovered a copy of The Times. So what you might think. It’s from October 1798 is what. 

The main story concerns Nelson’s victory over the French at the mouth of the Nile, with a report from the man himself on casualties and the order of battle.

I’ve contacted the local museum twice but they couldn’t be bothered to reply so I’m looking to UKC for advice as to where it might best be donated.

Post edited at 22:03
 Dave the Rave 18 Jan 2020
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Would Nelson have been so bothered to defeat the French if he’d known about Brexit?

DerwentDiluted 18 Jan 2020

Try the Maritime museum at Greenwich.

Gone for good 18 Jan 2020

What an amazing relic to come across. You can send it to me if no one else wants it! 

Billhook 19 Jan 2020

I don't know how big your local museum is but ours is run by volunteers and all the post goes to one person - the secretary.  If they are away on holiday or whatever the post won't get answered.  I guess that also applies to e-mail.  So don't give up.

The British Library may be interested. Tge home an impressive back catalogue of stuff like this.

Bacon Butty 19 Jan 2020

I'm amazed at how old your auntie must have been 🙃😃

jon 19 Jan 2020

> The main story concerns Nelson’s victory over the French at the mouth of the Nile, with a report from the man himself on casualties and the order of battle.

Maybe send it to the French military museum in Paris: https://www.musee-armee.fr/accueil.html That'd upset them all over again

Michael Hood 19 Jan 2020

Very altruistic of you to donate it.

Is it actually valuable? Or is it one of those items that you assume is worth something because of age, but then you find they're as common as muck.

One for Antiques Roadshow methinks.

In reply to Taylor's Landlord: You'd be amazed at many things about the old bird. 

Some great suggestions there. I think the Maritime Museum seems like a good idea. A nice excuse for a trip to That London. 

I don’t think it’s valuable but I suppose I could ask someone - although I’m not sure who. 

Thanks again to all of you for suggestions and advice.

WaterMonkey 19 Jan 2020

Try the National Maritime museum at Greenwich. They have Nelson’s jacket complete with bullet hole.

I'm sure they’d want it.

Timmd 19 Jan 2020

I know (of) a lady with Royal Navy related contacts who'd possibly be interested in it, her job is to do with the history of things RN related. Would you like me to facebook message her?

Post edited at 19:23
 Phil1919 19 Jan 2020

Its valuable if someone wants it!

Removed User 19 Jan 2020

These guys claim (or used to at any rate) to have a copy of everything ever published in this country-they might offer advice?-https://www.bl.uk/projects/newspaper-moves

WaterMonkey 19 Jan 2020

> Some great suggestions there. I think the Maritime Museum seems like a good idea. A nice excuse for a trip to That London. 

And don’t forget to pop in The Reach at Woolwich for a climb whilst you’re nearby!

Timmd 20 Jan 2020

I contacted my friend, she looks after the records from 1926 to 1972 and suggested the Royal Navy historical dockyard might be interested. 

profitofdoom 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Is it actually valuable? Or is it one of those items that you assume is worth something because of age, but then you find they're as common as muck.

If you Google old/ very old newspapers, many are only worth a few quid (surprisingly, I thought)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...