A variation on the usual vaccine thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 minimike 02 Nov 2021

Given there don’t seem to have been significant new variants since delta, why aren’t the vaccines being updated? There was lots of talk about it ages ago, but I just got my third Pfizer based on the same outdated spike protein.. what gives?

john arran 02 Nov 2021
In reply to minimike:

After a third Pfizer jab, the protection level is in the region of 99%, which is a enormous figure. What is there to be gained by investing millions in R&D for something different?

wintertree 02 Nov 2021
In reply to minimike:

Good question.

I’m keeping my main thought to myself but I’ll drop you a PM.

I believe some of the MAB and longevity enhanced MAB cocktails intended for prophylaxis do target the current prominent spike protein genetics.

The bigger question for me is why the UK dropped Valneva when that holds the promise of a broader immunity that should be less sensitive to RBD changes and should even endure a recombinant spike swap.

I’d far rather have a 3rd dose of Valneva than any of the spike based vaccines.  Don’t get me wrong, If I was offered a 3rd dose of Pfizer I would jump at it…

stubbed 02 Nov 2021
In reply to minimike:

They are being updated. AZ for example. But the Delta variant is covered pretty well by the vaccines already in use. The updates are for the Brazil / SAfrica variants I think, although I can't quite remember without looking it up.

In reply to john arran:

> After a third Pfizer jab, the protection level is in the region of 99%, which is a enormous figure. What is there to be gained by investing millions in R&D for something different?

In all fairness I recall Pfizer claiming that updating their vaccine as very easy.  We get updated flu jabs annually don't we?

Cobra_Head 02 Nov 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> The bigger question for me is why the UK dropped Valneva ....

It's French

Toerag 02 Nov 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> In all fairness I recall Pfizer claiming that updating their vaccine as very easy. 

Yes, and AZ too. "Vaccines can be tweaked to deal with new variants" was the commonly-held position, but the reality is such that by the time a vaccine is tweaked and tested, any new variant will have gone and caused loads of trouble - case in point - Delta.

Toerag 02 Nov 2021
In reply to stubbed:

> The updates are for the Brazil / SAfrica variants I think, although I can't quite remember without looking it up.

Those will almost certainly be gone soon though - look at the graphs on covariants.org to see how Delta's outcompeting everything.

In reply to Toerag:

> Yes, and AZ too. "Vaccines can be tweaked to deal with new variants" was the commonly-held position, but the reality is such that by the time a vaccine is tweaked and tested, any new variant will have gone and caused loads of trouble - case in point - Delta.

Although Delta seems to have been the only game (of note) in town for a surprisingly long time now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...