A small positive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 05 Apr 2020

For the first time ever I saw a Goldcrest today, a pair in fact, in my garden, Beautiful little things

The other day we had a Red Kite gliding over the house. Not a first sight of one but first over the house.

Just another lovely thing to see mummy duck has a big clutch of ducklings on the nearby stream 

Post edited at 19:24
 Yanis Nayu 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

Fab. I saw my first goldcrest about 6 months ago. Gorgeous little thing. 

In reply to the sheep:

In Hertfordshire, now, one sees Red Kites all the time. There are usually about four visible, at any time, whether I am at my house or out walking. They almost seem to have taken over the skies.

pec 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

We quite often get buzzards circling over the garden and this year, for the first time we are being visited regularly by long tailed tits which are some of the cutest, fluffy little birds you'll ever see.

DerwentDiluted 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

Saw bunch of Yellowhammers yesterday, felt quite exotic for a moment.

balmybaldwin 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

Too many cats near me, but I do have a wood dove nesting (and a chick) behind my neighbours satellite dish.

On my exercise walks from my house tho I have seen:

Robins

Long Tailed Tits

Gold Crests

Buzzards fighting in the air

3 Male Greater-spotted woodpeckers apparently arguing over territory

A green woodpecker (at a distance, he's being illusive)

Great Tits

Blue Tits

Wood pigeon

Thrush

Nuthatch

Dartford Warbler

Bumblebees a-plenty

Peacock Butterfly

Cabbage White

vole

fox

roe deer

I'm lucky to live where I do

Post edited at 21:15
OP the sheep 05 Apr 2020
In reply to pec:

Love the long tailed tits 

noisy  little buggers

Post edited at 21:41
 StockportAl 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

They're delightful little things, we have a pine tree in the garden and I see them fairly regularly, one was in there today. Our cat is 15 and past eating the wildlife which is a good thing as I was seriously unimpressed the time she murdered one.

Normal garden visitors are: Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Long Tailed Tit, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Nuthatch, Tree Creeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Magpies (loath / admire), Jays, Misel Thrush & Jackdaws, not to mention the Buzzards overhead

Occasionally we get Starlings, Bull Finches & the odd Green Finch, once we had Kingfisher but as the canal is two gardens away that shouldn't be a surprise. A Sparrow Hawk somtimes visits in the winter pursuing the small birds.

For a suburban garden it really is nice to have that collection.

One day the Kites will get to us, either from the expanding ranges of West Yorkshire, Shropshire of south Midlands birds. The Yorkshire birds would first have to survive the gamekeepers of the Pennines though.

Dark-Cloud 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

I saw my first ever one today too, amazing looking bird, watched him for 30 seconds or so before he went on his way.

Post edited at 21:54
 Andy Hardy 05 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

I saw a buzzard in Happy Valley (on my HM Govt approved exercise session)

Also went out on the bike today and I would estimate there were about 3x the number of bikes to cars 😀

OP the sheep 05 Apr 2020
In reply to StockportAl:

Would love to see a nuthatch or treecreeper 👍🏻

Jim Hamilton 06 Apr 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> In Hertfordshire, now, one sees Red Kites all the time. There are usually about four visible, at any time, whether I am at my house or out walking. They almost seem to have taken over the skies.

I went to one of the feeding centres in Wales years ago, where visitors pay to see the hundreds of red kites feeding on a trailer load of animal parts dumped in a field each day, and did wonder at the time whether this was nature "in balance"?  

krikoman 06 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

three Buzzards yesterday

Kite today

mondite 06 Apr 2020
In reply to John Stainforth:

> In Hertfordshire, now, one sees Red Kites all the time. There are usually about four visible, at any time, whether I am at my house or out walking.

Its been interesting to see them spread over the last fifteen years or so. About 8-10 years back they were fairly rare beyond Hemel as they spread out from the Chilterns but have steadily pushed outwards and become more established further to the east.

Buzzards have rebounded as well.

Todays walk through the woods was relatively quiet. A woodpecker in the distance, few pheasants and various little uns including a couple of coal tits.  Bunch of jackdaws acting up in the near distance.

mondite 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

>  and did wonder at the time whether this was nature "in balance"?  

Hard to say really. Unbalanced on a local scale but then again modern agriculture reduce the amount of carrion for them so could be balancing out to some degree.

During the middle ages they were pretty common in towns and cities.

aultguish 06 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

First Osprey of the season yesterday at work 😊

Pefa 06 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

Two seagulls that have a chick every year on the tenement roof opposite us are very quiet this year(normally they make a racket) so I'm wondering if the fact all the fast food shops are closed means they and the pigeons etc that usually feed on such discarded fair are going hungry. We have a big pond in a near by municipal park that has all sorts of different ducks, swans etc and I do hope that someone is feeding them to. In fact it should be done by the council in such times I feel. 

Post edited at 18:15
 Alyson 06 Apr 2020
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Love the way you casually threw Dartford Warbler in there like it's nothing. A lifetime tick for most people (me included).

harley.marshall8 08 Apr 2020
In reply to Pefa:

Ducks and swans eat foliage both on top and underneath the water so will be fine. They will just return to traditionslmnatursl feeding habits, I live on Windermere and a guy here has fed ducks and swans for fours, he left and the swans and ducks are doing just fine without anyone here feeding them.  

mbh 08 Apr 2020
In reply to the sheep:

I passed one of those flower beds in town that this-or-that group takes care of. I had been looking for the one that my own allotment association sees to, and was pleased to see when I came to it that it is a lovely herb garden. Before that, though, I came across one that must have been adopted by the child in the house next door. In amongst the now-flagging bulbs, it is wall-to-wall dinosaurs.

edit: everyone seems to be talking about birds, but in the spirit of the thread title, this made me smile.

Post edited at 18:42
In reply to the sheep:

My garden is semi rural and I see daily:

Gold finch 

Green finch

Coal tit

Blue tit

Great tit

Blackbird

Starling 

Collared dove

Wood pigeon

Sparrow

Robin

Occasionally:

Long tailed tit

Chaffinch

Rarely:

Thrush

Twice in 7 years:

Sparrow hawk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...