A591 south of Keswick - what's going on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 05 Jul 2019

Travelling out of Keswick southwards the 30mph restriction now extends for about a half mile beyond the last house. Why is this? I can't believe it meets any of the criteria for such a restriction.

elliptic 05 Jul 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I'd imagine mainly to slow down northbound traffic coming into Keswick down the long hill. You do wish they could put asymmetric speed limits in places like this though, accelerating up the hill away from town is obviously different from barrelling down it into the houses.

(The 40-limit along Thirlmere since the road re-opened also seems frustratingly inappropriate - its fair enough on the twisty bit from Wythburn church up to Dunmail but really should be 50 along the lake.)

balmybaldwin 05 Jul 2019
In reply to elliptic:

It's the new methodology for speed limits.  Because some people act like utter f*ckwits stopping randomly to enjoy the view, rather than parking up out of the way, causing accidents, the limit is lowered so everyone has to drive slowly. - See the Peak district - perfectly safe national limit roads restricted so that bikers hit slower moving cars when they are driving dangerously rather than tackle the real problem - motorcyclists driving dangerously.

alimckay 05 Jul 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I assumed, possibly wrongly, that it was to do with the work that United Utilities are doing around that area for the new water pipeline.

OP Rog Wilko 05 Jul 2019
In reply to alimckay:

Something like that occurred to me, but it seems hugely OTT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...