6 months MOT holiday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marsbar 25 Mar 2020

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-owners-to-be-granted-mot-exempti...

For cars too now.  One less thing to worry about.  Don’t plan on going anywhere but park on the road so it would need doing otherwise.  Might also need to drive to volunteer or if I manage to get a (necessary) job.  

Post edited at 10:19
russellcampbell 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for that. 

Post edited at 10:24
 Andrew Lodge 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I wonder if the insurance industry will be onboard with this?

No MOT means the vehicle is unroadworthy.........vehicle unroadworthy invalidates insurance.

OP marsbar 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

I assume they’ve been spoken to.  It does say you need to keep it roadworthy, but really an MOT is an arbitrary snapshot of one day.  Mine is due in May, I’m sure the car is no worse a few days after.  

FactorXXX 25 Mar 2020

> No MOT means the vehicle is unroadworthy.........vehicle unroadworthy invalidates insurance.

No it doesn't.

Neil Williams 25 Mar 2020

> No MOT means the vehicle is unroadworthy

No, it doesn't.  The two concepts are totally separate.  All the MoT does is identify this being the case.

In any case the Government is formally extending the expiry dates.

Note this only applies if expiry is from 30th March - some garages are still open if you need one now.

profitofdoom 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> ...........really an MOT is an arbitrary snapshot of one day...... 

I wouldn't call it 'arbitrary' - I'd call it specific: e.g. tyres must be within safe limits; plus all lights, indicators, brakes, and seat belts must be working

OP marsbar 25 Mar 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

The items are specific, the date and time they are checked is arbitrarily set at intervals of 1 rotation of the planet around the sun, after 3 complete rotations around the sun since purchase.  

Oceanrower 25 Mar 2020

> No MOT means the vehicle is unroadworthy.........vehicle unroadworthy invalidates insurance.

Not again. Surely most people don't still think this.

No MOT does not make the vehicle unroadworthy. Just it hasn't been checked for roadworthiness.

Unroadworthiness does not invalidate insurance. 

Lack of MOT does not invalidate insurance.

Unless you have 'previous' then, generally, the only penalty for no MOT is a £100 FPN.

Blue Straggler 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Thanks for this!

wilkie14c 25 Mar 2020

I’m reasonably confident that a brake light out or a tyre just under the limit, you’ll get advised to get it sorted if at all possible. You’d only be driving to or from your key worker position, vital shopping, supporting vulnerable people anyway.

The police get a rough deal on here at times but they are going to have more pressing things to worry about than the rubber cover on your brake pedal being a bit worn

Post edited at 11:24
 mrphilipoldham 25 Mar 2020

I wouldn't say that's true. An MOT is essentially only valid for the moment it leaves the garage, after that anything could happen to make it unroadworthy but it wouldn't be tested for another 12 months.

profitofdoom 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> The items are specific, the date and time they are checked is arbitrarily set at intervals of 1 rotation of the planet around the sun, after 3 complete rotations around the sun since purchase.  

OK, thanks for explaining, I see what you meant now

Wiley Coyote2 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Wonder what significance (if any) we should read into 6 months?

OP marsbar 25 Mar 2020

No worries I wasn't clear initially 

mondite 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

> Wonder what significance (if any) we should read into 6 months?

It can be taken several ways cant it? Either its yes we are probably going to be locked down for that long at least or, alternatively, if they are forward planning then there is going to be lots of cars needing MOTS once the restrictions are lifted so really you need a couple of months of leeway on top to allow the garages to play catchup.

fred99 25 Mar 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> I wouldn't say that's true. An MOT is essentially only valid for the moment it leaves the garage, after that anything could happen to make it unroadworthy but it wouldn't be tested for another 12 months.

Exactly.

I had my car MOT'd last summer, passed no problem, no advisories either. Normally commute by motorbike due to traffic/parking, so only used it once before ..

2 weeks later I heard a banging which I thought was the warning triangle in the boot got loose - turned out to be the exhaust hanging off. The bracket had completely rotted through and a replacement exhaust was needed. Still don't understand how it wasn't noticed.

Won't be using that garage again !

balmybaldwin 25 Mar 2020

Yes, all on board.  An MOT has never been a proof of road worthiness (only at that point in time), and the obligation is still on the owner to keep the vehicle road worthy.

Driving your car without a valid MOT won't invalidate your insurance. Driving with a clearly under maintained vehicle may mean any payout is substantially reduced for the insured, but full payments will be made to the third parties you may hit (e.g. if your brakes failed)

gethin_allen 25 Mar 2020
In reply to balmybaldwin:

It may be a clause specified in some policies and not others. Direct line seem to contradict what you say:

https://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/van-insurance/knowledge-centre/runn...

If you fancy a read. They also state that the maximum fine for driving without a mot is £1k.

wintertree 25 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Vaguely related.  On the day lockdown was announced I got a recall letter telling me the airbag in my car is basically a frag grenade.  I can’t take it for replacement now.  So when I next go to the shops in a few weeks I must be doubly extra careful not to crash between hospitals being overwhelmed and having an explody steering wheel.  

Oceanrower 25 Mar 2020
In reply to gethin_allen:

There is SO much wrong with that article I don't know where to start.

A broken light does NOT attract points.

If the accident is your fault you will have to pay for damages to the other vehicle yourself...No. 3rd part cover will apply WHATEVER the circumstances, even if you're pissed!

There are others but that is all just cobblers!

Try this thread which is (mostly) populated with lawyers and plod who know what they're talking about.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1675707

Post edited at 23:14
 PaulW 26 Mar 2020
In reply to marsbar:

I remember a testing station in Africa in the 1970's. Cars were lining up outside to have tyres, bulbs and wipers fitted.

I commented that it was good business to be selling all that stuff to be told no, it's only for hire, they give them back when they have finished the test.

OP marsbar 26 Mar 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I think I'd push for that to be done if possible.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...