5 min/month walks for puppies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 05 Feb 2021

We've largely been following this "rule" with our pup (approaching 5 months now). It serves as a nice guide to follow and makes us reign the walks in when we want to go further. We occasionally go over a bit but if so then we limit, for example, the evening walk to a quick nip out for the toilet.

However, we wondered where this "rule" comes from. It's obviously a very general rule which seems to be applied to every breed without much discrimination. 

Online forums seem to be an echo chamber of disagreement on whether the "rule" (which is just a guide) means on lead walking, some think it means you can do 1 walk a day whilst others say 2. Some think you can do unlimited off-lead walking.

Is there any scientific basis for this "rule" or is it just good practice?

Basically we're happy to keep following it as our pup is a Cocker Spaniel whom often have joint troubles in later life, but it would be interesting to read any studies all the same. Does (for example) doubling the daily limit every few weeks (e.g. going for an hour when he's 6 months) increase the risk of joint troubles. I guess there's not much research into it, but if anyone knows of any it would be great to read. 

balmybaldwin 05 Feb 2021
In reply to James Malloch:

I spoke to trainers and my vet about this, as I was finding it frustrating, and getting the impression Monty (also a Cocker puppy) was just not getting tired and had too much energy in evenings etc. and like you couldn't find much definitive on the subject

Long story short - keep to it or you'll regret it later.

Yes, it's ok to flex it a bit occasionally as long as you give more rest the following day or 2. Just as important (if not more) according to my vet is keeping them off stairs until 9 months or so - certainly don't let them play on the stairs.

Having said that, I was also told by the vet and trainers that it's the plod along nature of walking and repetitive action that seems to cause the damage, and unstructured "play" does not have this effect, so don't think the only way to tire out is by walking... do your 5mins/month twice a day walk, ad in some play in the garden, and maybe do things like "find-it" and hide food around the house... apparently using the nose is more tiring than walking for a little pup.

upordown 05 Feb 2021

You might find this helpful - https://www.mylamedog.com/post/what-is-the-logic-behind-not-exercising-pupp...  It's best to avoid high impact and repetitive exercise e,g, ball throwing. Young pups shouldn't be jumping down from any height. To protect joints it's best to avoid slippery surfaces such as laminate and glossy tiles. As balmybaldwin says unstructured play and exploration is fine but route marches or ball-throwing can cause damage. Scentwork is a great way to exercise a dog's mind and tire it out.

OP James Malloch 05 Feb 2021

Thanks for the replies so far. Similar to what I've read/assumed. Though I'd not read about the unstructured play much. 

I can't access the link on my work computer but I'll have a look over lunch, thanks. 

In terms of what we've been doing it's involved a lot of structured training including a decent amount of scent training each as well (we'd also been told about this really tiring the dog out). 

Don't really do any fetch (except a little for training in the house) - it's not something he's been interested in on a walk. All the walks are for him to go off sniffing in bushes and exploring for now - hopefully starting in a bit of retrieve work once he's better in the house. It makes it nice as we don't need to concentrate on him as much other than regular recall & keeping an eye out for distractions. 

We've got a no stairs rule (not that it stops him charging off up them very occasionally when he decided he's listened to us enough times!). Can't stop him jumping off stuff on walks which he seems to enjoy, but try to limit it indoors where possible. 

>not getting tired and had too much energy in evenings etc

Evenings are a nightmare! Perfect during the day and then it's "I want to play play play". Lots of enforced crate time as I don't think sleep is a concept to him after 5pm!

balmybaldwin 05 Feb 2021

Yes I had a period when he was about 5nonths where I dreaded evenings. He'd basically work himself up and get a bit bitey and at times it really hurt and the whole episode upset me a lot as I felt just shutting him away was a bit neglectful (it wasnt but I felt crap) after being super strict with him for about a month he got the idea. But evenings are still the time he demands tug of war etc

I've got a German Shepherd which, as breeds go, are more susceptible to hip dysplasia and arthritis from a really early age so I was super cautious about the 5 min per mont of age, no going up down stairs or jumping. He's now 3 and according to the vets he has very strong joints, no idea whether that had any impact or just good breeding and lucky with the dog!

One thing I have seen is the below photo of a puppy X-ray, just like a new born baby the joints aren't totally fused yet and I think that's the biggest reason for it! Just like you wouldn't expect a 2 year told to walk miles and miles a young dog can't either because they don't have the joint support or muscles yet.

Billhook 05 Feb 2021

I think some common sense should be applied to this.

We all know that too much - excessive exercise in young humans can damage them as can a sudden increase in many adults.  (Shin Splints, Achillies Tendonitis and so on)

We got our 1st puppy long before the internet and we lived miles from the nearest vet - or library.  I took our X bred puppy for a walk not long after we got here at around 8 weeks old.  She didn't make it more than 150 metres or so before collapsing on the floor.  Taking a puppy out for a walk doesn't need a rule book.   This is what happened:-  http://davidwperry.blogspot.com/search/label/Christmas%20present%20-%20Jill...

My xmas present lasted for 18 yrs

OP James Malloch 05 Feb 2021
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> Yes I had a period when he was about 5nonths where I dreaded evenings. He'd basically work himself up and get a bit bitey and at times it really hurt and the whole episode upset me a lot as I felt just shutting him away was a bit neglectful (it wasnt but I felt crap) after being super strict with him for about a month he got the idea. But evenings are still the time he demands tug of war etc

I think I'd be fine with the evenings if he didn't end up biting the furniture. The living room is this place that he wants to go to and play. He ignores the furniture pretty much everywhere now but him playing with a toy infront of the sofa ALWAYS descends into wanting to destroy it. 

A vinegar spray helps a bit, but not enough!

girlymonkey 05 Feb 2021

So we had to train calmness. Use his daily food as rewards rather than meals. Any time he is calm in bed or doing a behaviour which you deem to be calm enough for your liking, you reward it. Give him a chew to keep busy at his most manic time of day (you could mix some kibble with water to make a paste that you can freeze in a Kong and give him that, for example). He will get there (we had to learn very quickly when we rehomed a properly crazy 6 month old pup!)

Something like this 

youtube.com/watch?v=f0kpcj5sZmQ&

Post edited at 12:40
 Billhook 05 Feb 2021

>

> >not getting tired and had too much energy in evenings etc

> Evenings are a nightmare! Perfect during the day and then it's "I want to play play play". Lots of enforced crate time as I don't think sleep is a concept to him after 5pm!

A pup isn't just about meeting your needs - Pups need play for their own development.

OP James Malloch 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Billhook:

> > 

> A pup isn't just about meeting your needs - Pups need play for their own development.

Bloody hell, that’s a presumptive comment. I didn’t say we didn’t play or anything - there’s barely anything else we can do at the moment other than playing and training.

Billhook 06 Feb 2021

My apologies - I made the assumption based on what you said about things being,"a nightmare", having, "too much energy on a night-time,"  and saying your pup  has lots of, "enforced 'crate-time'".

Spaniels certainly have lots & lots of energy.  Have fun!

OP James Malloch 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Billhook:

No problem. The crate time is due to wanting to play (or just be awake) well into tired/crazy eyed time. It can easily descend into biting rather than sleep. Pop him in the crate and he’s flat out straight away but won’t realise that tiredness himself, though he’s great at this in the daytime (maybe too great?).

It’s a proper whirlwind but great fun - it’s nice to see him in his natural environment running and exploring all the exciting smells in the local woods!

SouthernSteve 06 Feb 2021

I would be very interested to see any peer-reviewed evidence that supports these figures. It is in the 'completely obvious' category of thinking that puppies should not be over-exercised, but whether such a prescriptive and non-individual approach is valid is unclear when you look at the absence of literature on the subject.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...