30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 09 Nov 2019

Morning all,

just in from the pub. So today is the 30th anniversary of the wall, a significant milestone in European history.

Me, I remember being stationed with the Army in the British and US sectors in West Berlin as a Brixmis driver chasing the Eastie Beasties (Soxmis) in their Trabants and spending hours on the side of the roads waiting to decide what to do with them.

Also, guarding Hess in Spandau prison (although we were all pretty sure he had already kicked the bucket as no one ever saw him). Also various trips across Checkpoint Charlie into the East to Alexandra Platz where 20 Deutsche Marks would buy you literally anything you wanted.

Amyone any other memories of the wall, east/west Germany?

Blue Straggler 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

I remember Pink Floyd and David Hasselhoff exploiting the event to try to sell some more records. And U2 jumping on that bandwagon 18 months too late 

Post edited at 01:06
 SFM 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

Not a direct memory but I remember a lanky,  highly intelligent East German lad landing in one of Engineering degrees at uni about a year after the fall of the wall(and being totally unchallenged by the work). Transpires his dad was a leading East German Doctor at the time and was targeted to be brought to the west before the Russians got him.

Removed User 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

Interesting you should mention Hess. A friend of mine did her nurse training at Spandau and looked after him on a couple of occasions. When he was admitted a whole floor of the hospital was cleared. The place was then packed with military police.

Blunderbuss 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> I remember Pink Floyd and David Hasselhoff exploiting the event to try to sell some more records. And U2 jumping on that bandwagon 18 months too late 

David Hasselhoff! That was amusing... 

The New NickB 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Are you not looking for freedom?

youtube.com/watch?v=0zXiClnK8oE&

elsewhere 09 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

Growing up with SALT talks, cruise missiles,  Reforger Exercises, CND marches, Warsaw Pact etc etc on the news the fall of the wall without nuclear conflagration was inconceivable. And now it has been gone longer than it was there.

Did you get lost when you returned to Berlin after the wall went due to the change in geography?

I met a couple of 'Ossies' on Mt Olympus in Greece the next summer. I still remember their amazing joy at being free to travel.

Raymondo 10 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

I got a photograph of an east German guard shaking the hand of a west Berliner through a hole in the wall, when the wall was still complete, albeit with hand sized holes in it. The atmosphere was like something I have never experienced since,, a great time in history ! Made it through the real bone fide check point Charlie to the east, the DDR. Was unable to cross the Glinike (sp) Bridge to Potsdam however.

aultguish 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Denni:

SOXMIS, that brought back a sudden blast from the past!

I once had a car pull up along side me, girl in the back pointed the camera and then zoomed off! Wasn't a Trabant tho, it was a white bmw, 2 males in the front and she was extremely beautiful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...