2 term presidents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just watching Ford Nixon and had a thought. Ford was Vice President who went from Vice to President. With the two term rule could he have seen out that term of the presidency and then one more term or 2 more terms?

Roadrunner6 23 Mar 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

I think he could stand for a second term.

obama can run as a VP and be president again if something happened. It’d be challenged in court though.

supposedly it’s about the wording of the two term limit.

“The Twenty-Second Amendment says a person can only be elected to be president two times for a total of eight years.”

so if you weren’t elected the first time it’s ok, or in Obama’s case a third time, say he stood as Biden’s VP.

baron 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

A persons time as a president or acting president counts towards a term even if they weren’t elected.

As long as they served at least two years in the role.

In reply to baron:

Thanks, was just wondering.

Roadrunner6 23 Mar 2019
In reply to baron:

Thanks, I didn’t know that bit. So ford could not have.

From the wiki page (assuming true but usually is)

“The amendment was passed by Congress in 1947, and was ratified by the states on February 27, 1951. The Twenty-Second Amendment says a person can only be elected to be president two times for a total of eight years. It does make it possible for a person to serve up to ten years as president. This can happen if a person (most likely the Vice-President) takes over for a president who can no longer be president. If this person serves two years or less of the last President’s term, he or she may serve for two full four-year terms. If he or she served more than two years of the last President's term, the new President can serve only one full four-year term.”

Post edited at 21:39
baron 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

That’s how I think it works

Removed User 23 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

>  obama can run as a VP and be president again if something happened

Who'd be the least of a liability for their running mate in '20 - Slick Willy, Dubyer or Barry O?

Roadrunner6 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

W is suddenly getting more popular. After Trump he suddenly looks a stable genius.. I think people are starting to appreciate he was a good guy, misled, made the wring decisions but wanted to do good.

Obama is a God still. The left say he was not progressive enough but he's been the first progressive president in decades. Clinton was very much a moderate, openly argued that case.

TBH though the country is so divided any candidate, on either side, is going to have close to 50% unfavorability rating.

Post edited at 12:53
 neilh 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I talk to too many small business owners in the USA who utterly despise Obama, they point me only to the rise in Federal govt regulation to get across their point.

Obama is a god to some.

I agree on the division of 50/50.

Roadrunner6 25 Mar 2019
In reply to neilh:

We literally have water full of lead.. Flint water still wasn't fully safe at the start of this year.

In the school I work in, and drink water from daily, 2 of our taps just failed a lead test and were releasing water with levels of lead above federal guidelines.

I wish regulations weren't needed but Trump is reversing it all and allowing coal sludge and other waste to get pumped out into rivers. Now you'd hope the people would have the sense of decency to not do that but they don't.

TBH though unless Trump is shown to have paid for abortions, and recently, he won't lose support from the conservatives. His main issue is states like Ohio, Iowa. Farms have been hit by floods, then trade wars and were already struggling.

Post edited at 15:01
 neilh 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

That was just as much a local State issue as well as a federal issue.

The only way to knock out Trump is to stuff him at the next election, which is what Nancy P is highlighting.

Obama was just as much of a devisive Pres, just we do not understand that in Europe , where he walked on water..

Roadrunner6 25 Mar 2019
In reply to neilh:

I wouldn't say that. He did attack the conservative press, which they thought was an attack on the first amendment.. however trying to close down CNN is OK, likewise action against late night comics is OK.. 

Trumps attacks on McCain are a new low, also the 'fine people on both sides'. 

Impeachment would be a mistake. Long-term, if they knock off Trump outside of an election the country is in the shit. However, Likewise Trumps use of the emergency powers is a new low, what next gun crime? climate change? any norms are getting shattered right now.

I know a few conservatives who do think the emergency powers act is creating an historic issue which we'll struggle to get around. The US always had separation of powers, now there are essentially few checks and balances. Both the senate and Congress said no to the wall and it is possibly happening anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...