1 covid hospital death in England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 14 Sep 2020

I know its 1 too many, and the weekend lag, but l personally need every ounce pf positivity I can get 

Post edited at 14:42
Removed User 14 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

I agree.

Sadly though, Covid us back in care homes so I'm afraid the daily number will rise again.

What strikes me now, in hindsight, is what a risky thing it was to allow people to travel abroad for their holidays. I realise a ban would have been unpopular but if it had meant the uptick in the UK had been smaller I think most of us would have seen that it had been worth it.

HansStuttgart 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> What strikes me now, in hindsight, is what a risky thing it was to allow people to travel abroad for their holidays. I realise a ban would have been unpopular but if it had meant the uptick in the UK had been smaller I think most of us would have seen that it had been worth it.

why? There was at the time a higher risk of infection by travelling through the UK than by travelling in the rest of Europe.

Dax H 14 Sep 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

> why? There was at the time a higher risk of infection by travelling through the UK than by travelling in the rest of Europe.

Frankly with our numbers I'm amazed the rest of the world will let us in. 

Infection wise though, are people picking it up in the countries they are visiting or are they getting it on the plant going or coming back? 

Do the numbers even show its from traveling, my understanding was that its more home visits. 

HansStuttgart 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Dax H:

no idea about UK, but in Germany it was 50% abroad 3 weeks ago, now down again. (because school holidays are over). Most of those will have travelled by car.

See here for details: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberi...

UK is not on the list of high-exposure countries, btw. But maybe the Germans are so scared that they don't cross the channel

Timmd 14 Sep 2020

> why? There was at the time a higher risk of infection by travelling through the UK than by travelling in the rest of Europe.

It could mean there's fewer factors to deal with, and less chance of the infection risk increasing because of people returning to (relatively) covid free areas of the country while being infected.

mick taylor 14 Sep 2020

My understanding is that our infection is nearly all ‘in house’. Which makes sense since our cases per 100,000 is higher than most holiday destinations. 

Ciro 15 Sep 2020
In reply to mick taylor:

> My understanding is that our infection is nearly all ‘in house’. Which makes sense since our cases per 100,000 is higher than most holiday destinations. 

However the vast majority of people going on holiday drive to a transport hub like London or Manchester, then spend several hours in a metal tube with a bunch of Brits from the surrounding areas. Then they party in a resort, mostly with Brits from around the country. Then they get back in the metal tube. 

It does seem like a good way to increase the 'in house' transmission of the disease.

Of course, that had to get balanced against the national mental health boost from allowing holidays - I wouldn't like to be in charge of making those decisions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...