£10 bottle of wine, recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 10 Dec 2018

Recommendations please for £10 ish red and white. For home consumption I would normally spend £6 at Aldi or Sainsbury's and I m usually more than happy with what I get. I find when I try to buy something better I am usually disappointed. I realise its never going to be twice as good and also that I don't really know enough about wine to appreciate what I m tasting but I would hope that doubling the budget would improve the quality. I m looking for a few ideas . In the past I ve tried google land (best super market wines etc) but have never really been that impressed with the  result. No more expensive please as I want to buy a half a case for gifts. aldi , lidl or sainsburies are within easy reach . online is still possible. so in the spirit of ukc being the font of all knowledge......

In reply to mike123:

I've recently been enjoying the Carnivore Zinfandel from Sainsburys. Might even be on offer if you're quick.

Otherwise if you're buying 6 bottles, Majestic has some good stuff.

T.

seankenny 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Priorat from Morrisons, £10. Or go to Siurana and get it there. 

Post edited at 14:43
 Tom Valentine 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I don't know if you are a fan of ripasso style wines (I am) and Tesco do at least one ripasso (Valpolicella) and one with a similar name basically made by the same method, really quite distinctive, a sort of Amarone Lite......

Just remembered that Lidl have a ripasso on the shelves to and it's around £9 but havent tried that one.

Rob Parsons 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

For a good 10 quid (ish)  bottle of red I suggest Guigal Côtes-du-Rhône, 2015. Should be pretty easy to find.

OP mike123 10 Dec 2018
In reply to all :

thanks all so far . Keep them coming.

Removed User 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Get down to Morribobs for a bottle of 2016 Monts & Vaux Malbec, it had been reduced to around £7 ( cant remember the actual price ) very drinkable …..

Don't go on price when buying wine - go on recommendations to lead you down a familiar but slightly left path then experience to choose the final bottle...…..

Enjoy

John2 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I recently had an outstanding Cairanne from Aldi for about 8 quid.

Offwidth 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I think the problem with wine ratings is immediate drinkability (what most punters want)  vs quality for cellaring (for heavy tannins); and variations in personal taste. I've gone off Sainsbury and Tesco around £10 but their cheap house stuff is good. Aldi is good value. Majestic, of the chains, is much better between £5 and £10 than anywhere I know (especially for great value non Rioja Spanish red stuff) and will recommend based on your tastes and has a much better returns policy than most.  My current fave up to about £12 is The Guv'nor (cheapest from Majestic Calais at a ludicrous £3.99) as the latest batch of Matsu Picaro (my previous fave)  is more tannic than the last.

Post edited at 17:59
 krikoman 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Tarrango, only available from Sainsbury's a wonderful fruity dark rose.

Edit, might not be available at all

Post edited at 18:15
 Pedro50 10 Dec 2018
In reply to John2:

> I recently had an outstanding Cairanne from Aldi for about 8 quid.

Yes excellent (7.99) I think. Lidl is the best single supermarket for similar bargains IMHO and Majestic is great but they have little below about £8.00 so not great for everyday. 

In reply to Rob Parsons:

One of my regular favourites. £10.99 in Majestic and was on offer at 25% off recently at Waitrose.

Philip 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Go to a wine merchants. The one I use has bottles from 7.99 (Romanian, Italian). For £10 you should be able to pick up something drinkable from Italy. 

There is a nice red from France, Mont Rocher Malbec. In fact it's only £8.

OP mike123 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Philip: I meant to put in the OP , the local wine merchant near me shut down a few years ago , he was a brilliant larger than life stereo type, at any price point his wines were better a country mile than sainsburies ( the only local supermarket at the time ) , he would also pick you out a bottle 

Thanks all so far 

Post edited at 19:41
 Snyggapa 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Terre de fiano organic primitivo. Tenner from Waitrose, sometimes with 25% off is the best sub tenner wine I know. Rich berry flavour , tastes a bit like a malbec to me.

From Italy with a big yellow label

Will visit Aldi next time I am passing to check out the other tips though. 

For white, new hall Bacchus. The finest wine that Essex can produce. Really! 

Probably have to mail order it though

Belle74 10 Dec 2018

I'm really not a wine drinker. In fact, red wine would trigger a migraine and white wine would give me indigestion.

I could however recommend that you save your weekly £10 up until you have enough for a bottle of, Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha. A perfect Islay single malt with a smooth taste of dark chocolate, sultanas, spicies, followed by a light smoke.

In reply to mike123:

The Ned Pinot Grigio is available at 43ish for a 6 bottle case at Waitrose. Im not a big fan of white wine but this is the best white I've tasted since Cloudy Bay Souvignon at much less than half the price.

mbh 10 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

I rarely drink white wine, but if taking something to someone who likes it, I get them a Gewurtztramminer (Lidl has sometimes done a good one) or a Sancerre. Both for about £10.

If you can get a Saint Joseph for under a tenner, get that. But you probably won't. A Dao might be cheaper, and very likely very nice.

In the 90s I once bought a Gaja Barbaresco for about £40.  I just looked at what they sell for now. Eye watering!

In reply to mike123:

Thumderbird

OP mike123 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet: it's not for me 

OP mike123 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet: or you 

OP mike123 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Thumderbird

Just spotted the typo . Is that one of those things that it's wise not to Google ?

Offwidth 11 Dec 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

Little below £8 from Majestic??? Providing you buy a mix of 6 in the deals there are over a hundred good wines available in that range, including The Guv'nor. People also recommend independents:  I'd agree but they can't match for price the best available elsewhere in the big stores... just otherwise really good alternatives, with better tailored advice. The very best idea is to bring wine back with you, from your hols. €1 a litre house wine from the local bodega we used  in Esplugues, on the edge of Barcelona, was similar quality to the average  £10 wine in the UK. We have had fabulous stuff from north Italy and the south of France for €2. A major classy unknown outside the rich 'med set' is Dingac from Croatia with cheaper bottles below €10.

Post edited at 00:06
 plyometrics 11 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

+ 1 for gewurtz’. It’s the only white I drink. 

Many people are unaware what a tasty grape this is so always makes a good gift. Excellent Christmas choice too, particularly if you get one with plenty of Turkish delight notes. 

nigeo 12 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

A lovely red is Pablo Y Walter Malbec a great wine for about £10. A great app that I  use is called Vivino, just take a picture of the label and within seconds you'll be able to see average prices, reviews etc. 

Bulls Crack 12 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

The Wine Society is very reliable - try their own label selections . You don't have to buy a cetain amount but they do send too much paper!

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yes but add in the £40 joining fee and it's an expensive bottle Granted you get £20 off your 1st order.

And you need a proposer.

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

No you don't; at least, I didn't

T.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

If you don't have a 'proposer' ie a mate whose name you put forward then the WS Committee will propose you. Or that is how it worked when I joined years back.

anyha 12 Dec 2018
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Another one for the wine society here, gives you plenty of advice, I always get a Ventoux £8 and the Society's white Bordeaux £8.

Thrudge 12 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Grande Alberone Zinfandel, £8 from Aldi.  Om nom nom.

Jon Stewart 12 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Anyone mentioned English whites yet? Bit different, and can't go wrong. Chapel Down's chardonnay is awesome, so is their Bacchus (an English grape). So are all the other English whites I've had.

Not sure we've managed to make a decent red yet?

Rog Wilko 13 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Do you also have a Booth's nearby? I tried a wine from them called something like Apotec for about 10 quid. It's  a blend from California including Zinfandel. I then went straight out to buy a box. Superb and very unusual flavours.

Rog Wilko 13 Dec 2018
In reply to mike123:

Do you also have a Booth's nearby? I tried a wine from them called something like Apotec for about 10 quid. It's  a blend from California including Zinfandel. I then went straight out to buy a box. Superb and very unusual flavours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...