UKH

Offset nut left on Upper Scout, Langdale

Jamie Wakeham 05 Aug 2022

I left a DMM offset nut in Upper Scout on Wednesday. My novice second couldn't get it out. They were soaked and shivering, so I elected not to rig an abseil but to get them down.

I did meet a team on the way up and asked them to drop me a line if they retrieved it - but I realise now that it was the one that my tag had fallen off so they won't have my details!

If you've got it, I'll happily pay postage plus a pint...

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> I left a DMM offset nut in Upper Scout on Wednesday. My novice second couldn't get it out. They were soaked and shivering, so I elected not to rig an abseil but to get them down.
> I did meet a team on the way up and asked them to drop me a line if they retrieved it - but I realise now that it was the one that my tag had fallen off so they won't have my details!
> If you've got it, I'll happily pay postage plus a pint...

Is this a deliberate attempt to start a crag swag bun fight debate? 🙄

OP Jamie Wakeham 06 Aug 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

No.

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> No.

You actually seriously want it back then?

mcawle 06 Aug 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

Price of a pint alone would almost… offset the cost of a new one.

In reply to mcawle:

> Price of a pint alone would almost… offset the cost of a new one.

Plus cost of postage.
Also worth considering is the hassle factor and time spent by the retriever which is obviously difficult to quantify.
It's almost like the best solution is to accept the fact that you win some/lose some and with the resultant balance being zero which means it's pointless making a fuss about losing stuff. 

In reply to FactorXXX:

Disliker, instead of cowardly hiding in the shadows, why not contribute to the thread by saying what you think as opposed to blindly stabbing at a button.
Go on, you can do it... 🙄

mcawle 06 Aug 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

Haha yes. I can do the math. Primary purpose of post was a tenuous offset pun. Presumably OP has sentimental attachment to the nut (and who doesn’t) or else resides in a place of pints deflated (and who doesn’t wish they did).

In reply to FactorXXX:

> Is this a deliberate attempt to start a crag swag bun fight debate? 🙄

It's certainly got all the required elements: technically definitely swag but with mitigating circumstances to plea an exemption and the aggravation of tagged gear mentioned

OP Jamie Wakeham 06 Aug 2022
In reply to FactorXXX:

JFC. I made the call to leave a £13 nut, rather than making a pair of novice seconds on their first multipitch hang around when they were wet and cold. Another team has retrieved it and seemed happy to send it back to me. But on reflection I realise it was the one that had happened to lose its tag a while ago. 

If they don't I'll just buy a new one. What's there to get upset about?

Loading Notifications...