Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Hillwalking inspiration, supported by you

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Please help UKHillwalking continue to provide varied and free content by becoming an official UKH Supporter. You can show your support and with recieve rewards.

Loading Notifications...

Found: Sheep. Slightly starved and very immovable

acrkirby 20 May 2020

Bouldering at  Rothley Crag today and found a sheep perfectly stock between two rocks near the No Mans Land block. Don't suppose the crag moderator has the farmers number?

He doesn't accept emails on his account so not sure how to contact him.

Still there now, suppose I'll give a go getting it out myself if no one else turns up at the crag who can help.

Eric9Points 20 May 2020
In reply to acrkirby:

Why not just visit the nearest farm and ask if its theirs?

If not they'll probably be able to let the owner know.

Either that or wrap it in a cagoule, put a helmet on it and ring the mountain rescue.

In reply to acrkirby:

You could try FB most of the farmer's local to me are on and usually to be found moaning about people on their land. 

Dave Williams 20 May 2020
In reply to acrkirby:

+1 to asking locally at the nearest farm. 

If you fail and decide you've no option but to d-i-y, then best approach the task with much determination, grab two good handfulls of wool and heave-ho. Harder to do if recently sheared though, but if it's got horns, then use them to your advantage. Hopefully it'll already be weakened by its entrapment.

Don't be scared of being a bit 'rough' if needs, have a plan of action and try your best to get the bugger out on the first attempt so as to reduce the stress -  the sheep's .... and yours.

Top tips: Sheep prefer to go forwards. Expect a fight either way, but more of a battle if the extradition has to be backwards. Try not to be too phased by the stupidity of the animal you're rescuing.

Good luck either way. 

acrkirby 20 May 2020
In reply to acrkirby:

Ended up dropping by the farmers later after i finished for the day. Was dark by then so good luck to him finding it, doubt he's got the guidebook for help xD

Tried getting it out myself but they're surprisingly heavy, especially when your fighting it to lift it

daWalt 20 May 2020
 Dave the Rave 20 May 2020
In reply to acrkirby:

> Ended up dropping by the farmers later after i finished for the day. Was dark by then so good luck to him finding it, doubt he's got the guidebook for help xD

> Tried getting it out myself but they're surprisingly heavy, especially when your fighting it to lift it

Feck. You mean that you prioritised your day above going to the farmer earlier?