Loading Notifications...

Visiting England. Looking for a Partner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey everyone,

First time posting here but I was told this was the best place to post for what I'm looking for. I'm going to be in England from March 7th - March 15th and I am looking for a partner for some outdoor sport climbing. I'd like to consider myself a fairly experienced indoor climber but I have not gotten the chance to take my climbing outdoors yet. 

Anyway, feel free to message me (if that's a thing on this website) or reply here with any questions or interest. 

Thanks Friends.

silhouette 25 Feb 2020
In reply to ZeroTrepidation:

Let us know where you'll be staying and I know people will want to help you.  The weather in England is always quite volatile.  You may be lucky with the weather in an area of southern England called Dorset where there are a lot of amenable sport climbs.

I'm going to be arriving in London as well as visiting some friends there but other than that I'm pretty open to going wherever. The public transit in the UK I've heard is pretty good so taking a train a few hours for a day trip somewhere is doable for me. I'm traveling relatively light with just a backpack so that helps.

Post edited at 04:50
 Stegosaur 26 Feb 2020

> I'd like to consider myself a fairly experienced indoor climber but I have not gotten the chance to take my climbing outdoors yet. 

If you haven't already, learn and practise how to clean a sport anchor on the ground before you have to do it at the top of a route.

In reply to Stegosaur:

Will do thanks for the advice.

webbo 26 Feb 2020

Based in London, never having climbed outside, using public transport to get sports climbing venues, in March. Plus the UK is not exactly endowed with low grade sport routes. Might not be the best of trips.

webbo 26 Feb 2020
In reply to webbo:

So to those who gave me the thumbs down. What in my post is inaccurate.

Beside that I forgot to mention after one of the wettest winters on record most sports venues will be seeping for some time.

In reply to webbo:

I understand that climbing outdoors may not be feasible, however, I figured there is no harm in asking. Climbing is not the main reason I'm visiting, more something that I wouldn't mind doing while I am in the country. While it may not be the perfect area to start climbing outdoors, you gotta start somewhere. 

silhouette 27 Feb 2020
In reply to webbo:

> So to those who gave me the thumbs down. What in my post is inaccurate.

You are really not giving any help at all to our new friend.  Granted it's not an ideal scenario but there's an evens chance the week after next the weather in southern England may be dry, maybe 10 deg Celsius and that somewhere out of the wind will be comfortable enough;  people sometimes have enough time to help a novice, I know I do;  Dorset is pretty easy on the train from London;  local folk often pick people up at the train station.  Worth being positive about and worth our friend persevering. We're talking grade 3's at crags like The Veranda and The Cuttings on Portland here, not 7b+'s at Kilnsey.

Big Lee 27 Feb 2020
In reply to webbo:

> Based in London, .

I used to live in London. Climbed outdoors  most weekends. 

> never having climbed outside,

Well, you've got to start somewhere and Portland is a pretty good place for that for example. 

> using public transport to get sports climbing venues,

Public transport to Portland is pretty easy with enough extra time. Train to Weymouth, and a local bus to Portland from there. Half the people who climb at Portland are probably travelling from London anyway, so possible to share a lift.

> in March.

Dorset can be pretty good in winter when the sun out out.

> Plus the UK is not exactly endowed with low grade sport routes.

Err, Portland is. 

> Might not be the best of trips

Yeah you're right. Don't know why they are bothering.

webbo 27 Feb 2020

I stand corrected.

I figured I'd add a little more information about myself to aid in finding someone to climb with. I can usually consistently toprope a 5.12 (7a) and my lead I usually sit around a 5.10c-5.11 (6b-6b+). Also I weigh 155lbs or 70kg. 

Thanks!

colin milton 08 Mar 2020

have emailed you

James East 11 Mar 2020

Hi I'm more than happy to take you outdoors for the first time if you're still looking for a partner. Don't be put off by what's been said previously. 

Ideally if you can practise tying off/cleaning a route that would be awesome if not I can teach you that whilst we are there and if you're not confident I don't mind threading and cleaning routes (it means I get the pleasure of climbing them twice). 

I climb lead up to f7a and have been climbing outdoors for years. 

There is a crag called wyndcliff near Bristol that is South facing and exposed so should be relatively dry on Tuesday based on the current forecast (its meant to be dry and as sunny as England is for this time of year).

I can happily pick you up and drop you off from either Bristol train station. 

I have all the relevant gear, you'd just need shoes, harness and ideally a helmet as it's an old quarry with a fair amount of loose rock. 

Let me know if you're free 

James East 11 Mar 2020

Sorry just seen the dates you're here and realised I miscalculated. Hope you found someone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.