UKH

/ Ice Climbing at Braehead glasgow

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Jon Mulrine - on 02 Sep 2018

hi all, wondering if anyone here is down the ice wall at Braehead regularly and is looking for a climbing partner? Just starting out on ice and would like to get a fair bit of mileage in before taking it outside. Have plenty of belay experience on indoor and outdoor sport climbing with guys pushing hard grades that come off a lot!  Would be delighted to hear from anyone that’s heading down to Braehead!

Post edited at 14:10
Stuart133 on 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Jon Mulrine:

I've just moved to Glasgow and am looking to get into winter and ice climbing this winter, so had been eyeing up the ice wall.

Would definitely be up for climbing there, though would need to do the induction as I've never ice climbed before.

Jon Mulrine - on 03 Sep 2018
In reply to Stuart133:

Cool, the induction is straightforward if you climb already.  The instructor Richard gave us some good basic technique tips and the safety bit then left us to it. Not sure what the minimum number is but if you need someone to belay if you are just doing it yourself I’d be happy to if you give me a shout..

JRJG - on 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Jon Mulrine:

Quick query for you: 

how much was the induction? And how much is it afterwards to climb by yourselves? I assume you pay for an hour slot? 

JRJG 

Stuart133 on 04 Sep 2018
In reply to JRJG:

The induction is £30, which gets you 90 mins instruction and another 90 mins climbing after that, which seems like amazing value to me.

Only issue that I can see is that they don't have many sessions available on the online booker, maybe there are more if you ring.

https://www.snowfactor.com/existing-rock-climbers/

Jon Mulrine - on 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Stuart133:

DO NOT RING THEM FROM A MOBILE THEY CHARGE 50p A MINUTE!!! landline is still pricey, try email instead.  Had a go at them after I got my phone bill through..

Jon Mulrine - on 04 Sep 2018
In reply to JRJG:

after induction session it’s £10 for a day pass plus £2 per item hire 

JRJG - on 05 Sep 2018
In reply to Jon Mulrine:

Brilliant thank you very much 

looks like a trip upto Glasgow is in order 

JRJG 

subtle on 05 Sep 2018
In reply to JRJG:

> Brilliant thank you very much 

> looks like a trip upto Glasgow is in order 

> JRJG 

Hmm, I probably wouldn't travel too far JUST for the ice wall - proceeding up a line of bucket steps whilst hooking your axe into one of the myriad of holes (or even at times, hooking the rebar underneath) wont give you much practice for the steep stuff in scotland or elsewhere.

But it is a resource, and one that is gladly used, just not sure I would travel too far for it.

Jon Mulrine - on 05 Sep 2018
In reply to subtle:

Hahaha yes it’s maybe not quite so realistic... probably more so than indoor climbing on big plastic holds is to rock outside perhaps.  When I was there the steep routes were fairly sparse in terms of juggy holds for yer feet. Was a wee bit of rebar on display on a corner. They’d put up some square mini serac things kind of like a hard snow volume on a couple of routes so may have repacked the walls? 

Stuart133 on 06 Sep 2018
In reply to JRJG:

The next session available is on the 29th, are either of you free then? I'd like to do it but need a partner as I'm new to the area and haven't yet got anyone to climb with

JRJG - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Stuart133:

Apologies if I appeared to suggest I was planning on joining one of you, I was intending on heading up there with friends. I live in Lancashire so Glasgow is not somewhere I frequent. 

Hope someone takes you up on the offer 

JRJG 

Jon Mulrine - on 07 Sep 2018
In reply to Stuart133: I’m working on the 29th I’m afraid.. Saturdays can be a bit tricky but Sundays are normally a winner if that helps? Didn’t think they did the inductions on Saturday.

Jon Mulrine - on 16 Sep 2018

> hi all, wondering if anyone here is down the ice wall at Braehead regularly and is looking for a climbing partner? Just starting out on ice and would like to get a fair bit of mileage in before taking it outside. Have plenty of belay experience on indoor and outdoor sport climbing with guys pushing hard grades that come off a lot!  Would be delighted to hear from anyone that’s heading down to Braehead!

Wee bump...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.