Loading Notifications...

Dorset beginner looking for climbing partner

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Josh Piper 15 Nov 2020

Hi there, my name is Josh I am 23 and am a beginner sport climber, my current climbing partner has decided that climbing isn’t for him so now I need to find a new climbing partner, I have my own gear and transport and a real desire to progress. I am based in Dorset and have been climbing down in the purbecks and over at Portland. I would really like to get better at climbing and be out regularly, I also really enjoy wild camping and have a fine tent and good equipment for that so am happy to go out on multi day trips. I understand that I am a beginner but I feel with the right person I could become a good half of a climbing partnership. I am easy going and kind and willing to work hard! If you want to contact me my email is joshuapiper778@gmail.com  Hope to hear from somebody soon!

In reply to Josh Piper:

Hi Josh, I live on Portland and would gladly take you out but am away over the winter. There are two Facebook groups, Dorset Climbing and The Aloft Climbing Wall, Weymouth. The latter is a group of people most of whom used to climb on a little wall in Weymouth which, I believe, has now closed. But they still go out regularly, mostly on Portland. Anyway, get on both of those and you'll find people.

A word of warning though. One problem of starting out at climbing is this: you meet somebody with more experience and suddenly they're 'the expert'. But how expert are they really? Crucially, how good is their judgement? This can be hard to assess if you're struggling with the basics. For instance, there's a lot of terrible belaying around, e.g. people standing too far out from the base of the crag, with loads of slack in the rope, so, if someone pops off around the second bolt, maybe they still hit the ground. This should never happen! Also, if someone suggests going to Swanage for trad, don't go! Hopefully, in years to come, you'll fall in love with the wonderful adventure climbing there. But not now.

Give the facebook groups a go. Any problems/doubts, contact two mates of mine, John Leonard and Adam Perrett (they're on both groups). Or email me through there.

You can have a lifetime of joy in climbing. But the early years are generally the most dangerous ones. (They sure were for me.) Finding the right people makes all the difference.

Good luck!

Mick

Josh Piper 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

Hi Mick thanks for such a thorough reply, if you fancy climbing at all next year please let me know I will give the forums a go. I have taken on board what you said about being safe and people being experts, I took some sessions with Jerome from Portland climbing so he has instilled the basics in me very well but I still have so much to learn.  I am desperate to get out but would rather be safe than sorry. 
Thanks so much for the advice.
Josh 

Jeromecooper 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Josh Piper: Hi Josh, hope your well.

You should have an email from a friend of mine; Michael Whiting.

Great to see your making headway to get out!! Nice one.

Ciderslider 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

If someone asks you to go trad climbing at Swanage - don’t go - really sage advice Mick only wish I’d heeded that advice myself 😜😂

ripper 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Ciderslider:

> If someone asks you to go trad climbing at Swanage - don’t go - 😜😂

well - maybe leave the Ruckle until you've built up a bit of experience/confidence, at least!

maxsmith 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

> A word of warning though. One problem of starting out at climbing is this: you meet somebody with more experience and suddenly they're 'the expert'. But how expert are they really? Crucially, how good is their judgement? 

Can't overstate how good this advice is...it's basically impossible for a beginner climber to assess their teacher.

Josh Piper 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Jeromecooper:

Hey man, likewise! Yes I did have an email been chatting to him this afternoon we are hopefully going out Thursday! 
If you put him in contact with me then Thankyou so much, it was very kind. 
Thanks for the encouragement! Just want to get out and about.

Josh

Josh Piper 16 Nov 2020
In reply to Josh Piper:

Thanks everyone for the great advice it’s so nice to see how you look out for people! 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.