Yorkshire Dales campsites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pasbury 07 May 2019

I'm looking for a campsite recommendation in the Yorkshire Dales.

Preferably in an area of classic dales scenery - wildflower meadows, stone barns, limestone moors and all that sort of thing.

Basic is fine, even preferred.

DaveHK 07 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

The one just outside Muker (Usha Gap) is very nice, recently renovated with lovely facilities but still feels low key.

Owen Meany 07 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

If you're after barns and wildflower meadows Muker is definitely the place to be!

pasbury 07 May 2019
In reply to Owen Meany & DaveHK:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I haven't been for about thirty years so I couldn't even remember which dales are the prettiest.

climbingpixie 07 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

There's a campsite in the next field over from Malham Cove - https://www.malhamdale.com/camping/ - that might be worth looking at. Short walk into the village, great walks from your tent and you could even do some climbing while you're there.

DaveHK 07 May 2019
In reply to climbingpixie:

> There's a campsite in the next field over from Malham Cove - 

Worth a visit just to meet the grumpiest man in the world.

Simon Caldwell 08 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Isn't he at the Gordale Scar campsite? He occasionally gets so fed up with the aggro he gets from those who just want to party, that he says he's shutting the place down, but so far never has AFAIK.

In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Isn't he at the Gordale Scar campsite? He occasionally gets so fed up with the aggro he gets from those who just want to party, that he says he's shutting the place down, but so far never has AFAIK.

I think you're right about DaveHK meaning Gordale. Jean (and I think it's Norman) at Malham Riverside are always receptive to a chat. 

Post edited at 10:16
 DaveHK 08 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Nope, definitely the Malham one. She's lovely and chatty and he's been bloody miserable every time I've been!

coldfell 08 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Campsite at Gordale is stunning if eccentric, and we like both campsites at Kettlewell - walking distance to pub a bonus

shuffle 08 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

seconded, this is a lovely campsite!

pasbury 15 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Just booked the weekend at Usha Gap, the owners sound lovely. 

DaveHK 15 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Just booked the weekend at Usha Gap, the owners sound lovely. 

Good choice  

We've gone there a few times over the last 10 or 15 years, most recently at Easter. Initially it was just the wee field on the opposite side of the road from the farm but they've now opened a bigger field and done the facilities up. The pub in Muker is good too.

pasbury 15 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

They’ll open up a third field too if it’s busy enough. Me ‘do you want a deposit or payment in full’, her; ‘oh no just pay when you arrive’; how refreshing.

DaveHK 26 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Did you go yet? It was on that Yorkshire Dales program on't telly.

pasbury 29 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Going this weekend!

pasbury 06 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Well it didn't disappoint; good facilities, friendly owners, fire-pits available.

And the Dales - wow, having not been for decades I'd forgotten how outstandingly beautiful they are.

DaveHK 06 Jun 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Glad to hear that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...