Yorkshire Dales-road conditions for this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bee_1 23 Jan 2013
I'm supposed to be running a university hill walking trip to Reeth in the Yorkshire Dales this weekend.

Des anyone with any local knowledge know what the road conditions are like ATM near to Reeth/swaledale, as that's where our bunkhouse is, and what the roads will be like Fri evening based on the forecast of it warming up?

We are coming by minibus, and if the roads are too bad then I will have to cancel the trip!

Thanks
 Lankyman 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: Have you thought about contacting one of the pubs in/near Reeth? There is a pretty good chance they'll give you the all the info you need. As a caver we used to head for the Punch Bowl at Feetham just up the road http://www.pbinn.co.uk/
 sheeny 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: roads are ok generally always are, gritters are pretty good up here, been up to reeth today bit of a thaw at the min
 Owen Meany 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1:

We were up in Langthwaite (just beyond Reeth) last weekend and the roads were very clear.

There was a fresh dump of snow on Monday but the roads were still OK yesterday and it's expected to warm up tomorrow, so I doubt there'll be a problem.

Even if there is fresh snow, the locals told us that the main road from Richmond through to Reeth is always ploughed and gritted, so if you stick to that and avoid the hillier routes over from Leyburn (assuming you're coming from the East), you should be OK.

And you could always phone one of the pubs in Reeth or your bunkhouse if you're still worried.

FWIW, we'll be heading up to Langthwaite this weekend too...
 MHutch 23 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1:

You should be fine as long as you stick to the main roads to approach Reeth rather than try to come over a high road in the Dales which may or may not be clear.

MHutch 25 Jan 2013
In reply to MHutch

Though having seen the forecast now from 4pm onwards, you could be in for a interesting time getting to Reeth tonight.
 Tall Clare 25 Jan 2013
In reply to MHutch:

I know it's a bit further south, but it's just started here in Skipton and it's not forecast to stop until later on tonight...
 sheeny 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: in wensleydale its not snowing or likely till 5pm ish and roads will be gritted and clear just stay off the high roads
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1:

According to the Beeb it is going to snow like buggery tonight!

Chris
OP Bee_1 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

How clear does the b road going to Reeth usually stay? We would be coming from the A1
OP Bee_1 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Could I sk the people keep updating this until 5pm tonight, as that's when we are supposed t be leaving and is when I will make a final decision!
 Hammy 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: There's a useful website www.raintoday.co.uk which gives a good visual indication as to how things may develop.
 sheeny 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: the road to reeth via richmond will be open and gritted stop being a wus and enjoy your walking weekend
OP Bee_1 25 Jan 2013
In reply to sheeny:

He he, thanks for that, if I was going by myself, I would be fine! It's more the weight of responsibility that's soley on me for the other 20 students that's I'm taking with me aswell!

We are going to go though, and hope the journey from Norwich isn't too eventful
 MHutch 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1:

Just make sure you're taking a fat one for food purposes if you do get stuck in a snowdrift for a month.
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Hammy:
> There's a useful website www.raintoday.co.uk which gives a good visual indication as to how things may develop

Though it's not 100% reliable - it was showing rain/snow all morning where I am, and it's been dry all day.

However, I suspect that what it shows on the way at the moment is genuine!
 sheeny 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: Norwich! christ quicker to go to Norway.
have a nice time punchbowl and cb too posh nowadays stick to reeth or the bridge at grinton pricey but better beer, still not snowing
Pennine 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Bee_1: Left Kettlewell an hour ago. Snow flurries and roads clear. That may have changed by now!
Pennine 25 Jan 2013
In reply to Pennine: You could follow the 'tweeter's snow map http://uksnowmap.com/#/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...