Which way round would you go (Cairngorm loop)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 11 Jan 2022

I'm planning a winter walk from Rothiemurchus Lodge to the Hutchison Memorial Hut via Ben Macdui, then from the Hutch to Corrour Bothy and finally up Coire Odhar for a tramp over the tops towards Braeriach before dropping back into the Lodge.

Would you do it that way around, or the reverse? 

Any top tips would be more than welcome. Many thanks

It's to bag three WQMDs

In reply to Tony the Blade:

It looks like you've got two long days with a shorter and slightly fiddly looking one in the middle. Hutchison to Corrour is not a very neat looking line, unless you go back over Macdui.

What about doing all the 4000-ers? 

Day 1

Ski Centre, Cairn Gorm, Loch Avon, Loch Etchachan, Hutchison

Day 2

Hutchison, Macdui (optional extras, Derry Cairngorm and/or Can a' Mhaim), Corrour

Day 3

Corrour, Carin Toul (optional Devil's Dong), Sgorr an Lochain Uaine, Braeriach, Chalamain Gap, ski centre

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

A couple of steep bits to look out for in dodgy snow or poor vis, both would be done in descent if you go the clockwise round I suggested above (but there's no reason you can't go anti-clokwise):

1. Descent into Loch Avon basin

2. Descent from Macdui to Carn a' Mhaim col and on down into Lairig Ghru

That sounds like a plan, I'll check it out when I get home. 

The middle day was made to be easier on the legs with a tough day either side. I also wanted to keep the option to return via Lairig Ghru if the weather doesn't play ball or we get too tired. 

At first glance I like the look of your suggestion, although we're based at Rothiemurchus Lodge so there will be a slight change to the start/finish.

Would the descent into Loch Avon basin be via Coire Raibeirt? That does look pretty steep. 

Post edited at 18:22

Yeah, Coire Raibert is the obvious way down from Cairn Gorm. It's reasonably treacherous but my kids have been down it in the rain with overnight packs, so it's not really bad in summer. I haven't gone down it in the winter though. 

Coire Domhain seemed slightly less steep last time I went down there, but bear in mind avalanche risk as it's a bit of a spot for that.

scotthldr 11 Jan 2022

You could slid descend to Loch A’an via The Saddle. Your adding on just over a km but it’s a far easier route.

In reply to scotthldr:

Yes I think that's the best way down to the Loch, via Cistre Mheared and The Saddle. Far better option than the thought of Coire Domhain or Raibeirt.

> Day 2

> Hutchison, Macdui (optional extras, Derry Cairngorm and/or Can a' Mhaim), Corrour

I like this idea, although the drop from Carn a' Mhaim col down into Lairig Ghru looks steep. The 10km distance is appealing though! I guess we could head SE down the Allt Carn a' Mhaim or even head for the SE spur on Carn a' Mhaim if we don't fancy it.

In reply to scotthldr:

Yeah, good thought

Mike-W-99 11 Jan 2022

> I like this idea, although the drop from Carn a' Mhaim col down into Lairig Ghru looks steep. 

Its ok actually. Gets skied quite frequently and if the snow level is high theres a path.

In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Its ok actually. Gets skied quite frequently and if the snow level is high theres a path.

Good to know -many thanks

Mike-W-99 12 Jan 2022

Your welcome, enjoy your trip.

Andy Cloquet 20 Jan 2022

Whichever way you choose and whatever route (good alternatives suggested here), make your mind up once you know the prevailing wind direction. If it's a strong SW/WSW then I'd go C/wise

In reply to Andy Cloquet:

Thanks Andy - final route decisions will be made over a single malt on the preceding evening.

I'll be watching wind speed and direction for a good few days before heading out, and I'll use that, along with precipitation, to dictate not only which way around but also which slopes we'll use for ascent and descent.

TobyA 20 Jan 2022

I think that's the route over the 4000ers that is THE classic British ski tour. Except you do it in a day! I saw pics of one of the fit chaps doing it in a day recently which is pretty bloomin' impressive since it could have only been a fortnight from the shortest day of the year. He must have been moving at a fair old lick.

Andy Cloquet 20 Jan 2022

What a sound way to decide.

Try these for other weather forecasts (you may know them already)

weather-forecast.com  > just enter your mountain name and you'll get good graphics

metoffice.gov.uk >Mountain weather forecast

and of course, MWIS.

In reply to Andy Cloquet:

> What a sound way to decide.

> Try these for other weather forecasts (you may know them already)

> weather-forecast.com  > just enter your mountain name and you'll get good graphics

> metoffice.gov.uk >Mountain weather forecast

> and of course, MWIS.

Yes, always use Met Office (mountain areas) and MWIS... as well as SAIS, Be Avalanche Aware and Windy.

Not used weather-forecast.com though, I'll take a look.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...